VOGONS

First post, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

TLDR: Was a combination of hardware and software issues.

Been in the process of rebuilding a windows 98se PC (specs below) But having difficulty getting SEGA Rally 2 to launch, it tries but crashes after the intro logos sometimes just a crash with no error msg, most of the time a DDhelper has performed an illegal operation, and sometimes the same error but locks the system up needing a hard reboot. Same software setup as some of my other systems where the game works just fine (P3 1ghz, voodoo2 sli, gf2 gts, awe64 gold + trident pci sound cards, and Athlon XP 2800+ in a KT7A with Voodoo 3 AGP card, sb audigy) same windows 98se install with same updates and same DX version, Other benchmarks are good and stable (3Dmark99max through to 2003) other games also function just fine(4x4 evolution, Rally sport Challenge, Colin McRea Rally 2.0), dxdiag cubes spin just fine too. So i Think it's a driver problem or an issue with SEGA Rally 2 not liking the FX 5600

Athlon XP 3000+, 512mb DDR400,
Asus A7N8X-X (nforce2) motherboard
FX 5600 (Leadtek Winfast A310) 256MB
SB Audigy 2 ZS + LiveDrive II
2xIDE DVD-ROM drives
2xSATA HDDs set to 128GB each one for C drive other for storage, everything installed on C drive inc game
Software: Windows 98SE, DX9.0C, Unofficial service pack(same options as other working systems)
Have tried Forceware 44.03, 56.64 , 81.98, Going to try 71.84 now

Failing that I'm going to try with a Ti 4200 although that doesn't really have the performance I'm looking for for this machine.

Googling for known issues or driver problems or issues with SEGA Rally 2 didn't seem to bring anything up, Does anyone have any suggestions? (other than just running the game one the systems it's currently working on, this setup is going to be using main for Racing/Driving games).

I could go with an ATI card but, Colin McRea Rally 2.0 has problems with the ATI drivers in 98SE requiring a second screen to be connected which is just annoying)

Edit: Same problem with the 71.84 driver, also same thing with the Ti-4200. Must be another configuration problem, hmmmm. Back to 56.64 as that seems to work better in general. Going to try a different version of the game, was using the original CD release, going to try the Xplosive re-release maybe my discs are not great or the drives in this build are weaker than the others and I'm getting a bad/corrupt install.

Last edited by synrgy87 on 2022-06-19, 18:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Give 45.23 a try, they are the go-to drivers around here. You really don't want to go over 5x.xx with Win98.

With the Ti 4200 you could also try 30.82, they are not as fast as 45.23 but could be a bit more compatible. Also isn't Ti 4200 is a bit faster than the regular FX 5600? Unless it's actually Ultra.

Reply 2 of 5, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sombrero wrote on 2022-06-18, 06:09:

Give 45.23 a try, they are the go-to drivers around here. You really don't want to go over 5x.xx with Win98.

With the Ti 4200 you could also try 30.82, they are not as fast as 45.23 but could be a bit more compatible. Also isn't Ti 4200 is a bit faster than the regular FX 5600? Unless it's actually Ultra.

The Ti-4200 is a good card but seems to fall down performance wise with some feature support and limited texture memory(only 64MB) for the later games and benchmarks and also with nglide it works better, I'll give 45.23 a try, decided to take the nuclear approach at 4am and wiped the 98se install, but on reinstall I'm getting other problems that I wasn't getting before which is probably driver related too as it's happening on install of the nvidia drivers, I do have another motherboard I can throw in which is via based(KT400 chipset) so I may try that If the 45.23 drivers don't work.

So a bit more investigation needed I think.
Thanks for the reply!

Reply 3 of 5, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
synrgy87 wrote on 2022-06-18, 09:32:

The Ti-4200 is a good card but seems to fall down performance wise with some feature support and limited texture memory(only 64MB)

There are Ti4200 cards with 128 MB RAM as well.

They tend to be slightly lower clocked though.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 5, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is also the AGP 8x version of the GeForce4 Ti 4200 that has 128 MB RAM without the memory clock being lowered at all. The only downside with this version is that it isn't compatible with older drivers below 40.xx.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 5 of 5, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-06-18, 14:10:

There is also the AGP 8x version of the GeForce4 Ti 4200 that has 128 MB RAM without the memory clock being lowered at all. The only downside with this version is that it isn't compatible with older drivers below 40.xx.

Yeah I have the 64mb AGP X8 version here.

So after I nuked the OS from orbit, and got the 45.23 drivers installed for the FX 5600(dx9c and unofficial service pack main updates + nforce2 chipset drivers no sound / usb etc yet) the game launches and runs, now hopefully it'll still launch once I've got the sound etc installed, Hopefully it'll play nice now.

Edit: Naw still something not right, Thinking now it may be the Motherboard or the RAM although I've previously tested the ram, Time for a strip down and another rebuild I think, Motherboard swap and/or ram test, Determined to de-jank the jank with this thing.

Edit2: Well, this is dumb but it seems like it's been a USB2.0 PCI card causing the instability, that said there were driver issues too with the nvidia graphics cards but 45.23 seems to have cleared that up. Will see if i can find one with a different chipset (have tried two identical VIA based cards and neither play nice) from memory i remember having similar problems with via usb 2.0 based cards a few years back... Oops, might have a NEC based one around here somewhere.

Edit3: The plot thickens! Weirdly it just won't launch from one of the DVD-ROMs but will install from it and reads the disc just fine, swapped out one bad drive which is having difficulty reading CD-ROMS and the game launches from that and plays, was getting some weird issues and stability problems still so decided to swap the motherboard out for a KT400A based board, another Asus A7V8x-X aaaand she'd good now with the same 98SE install just refreshed the drivers for the KT400 vs the nforce2 chipset. so down from DDR400 to 333 but seems to be running great so far. I guess it's possible the nforce2 board needs a recap as it's all original capacitors, In future I may change out the board again for a KT600 or nforce2 ultra based board with the 12v connector to allow a more modern PSU and so I can drop the PCI SATA controller and have more onboard USB headers.

Also changed out the ram until i have time to memtest the original Corsair XMSC2Pro.

Combination of weird and annoying problems, bad DVD drive, screwy USB cards and a potentially failing motherboard, Was fun!