VOGONS

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Know a lot of you don't mess with sports titles that much but perhaps someone out there can help with this. It works fine in
software mode but crashes to desktop when trying to use the Geforce2 GTS card. Using Nvidia drivers 45.23 with win98 SE.

Have a whole honkload of games installed on my P4 system and this is the only one that's giving me trouble, aside of DOS games
of course. Also tried the patch but the result is the same. Reading up on the game seems like it favors 3DFX or older nvidia cards
so I could try it on my older P2 win98 sys with the voodoo 3. Any thoughts or ideas on this?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1 of 6, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Please note - If this weren't a single game giving you grief my advice would be different (actually I wouldn't have much to contribute on this topic):

There will usually be one random game on one random system which gives a 'controller-breaking' hard time, no matter the situation. My suggestion is, based on much experience, don't lose a lot of time on this - either live with software mode, get (or install the game on) another system, 0r, without jeopardizing the success of your current build, consider adding a Voodoo 2 12MB card.

Don't risk the 'honkload' of games you already have installed (and working) on just this one game.

Good luck!

Reply 2 of 6, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Meatball wrote on 2022-07-08, 18:01:
Please note - If this weren't a single game giving you grief my advice would be different (actually I wouldn't have much to cont […]
Show full quote

Please note - If this weren't a single game giving you grief my advice would be different (actually I wouldn't have much to contribute on this topic):

There will usually be one random game on one random system which gives a 'controller-breaking' hard time, no matter the situation. My suggestion is, based on much experience, don't lose a lot of time on this - either live with software mode, get (or install the game on) another system, 0r, without jeopardizing the success of your current build, consider adding a Voodoo 2 12MB card.

Don't risk the 'honkload' of games you already have installed (and working) on just this one game.

Good luck!

Sound advice to be sure. I'll try it on my other win98 system and see how that goes but still there should be some kind of
patch out there somewhere.....

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 3 of 6, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
buckeye wrote on 2022-07-08, 18:30:
Meatball wrote on 2022-07-08, 18:01:
Please note - If this weren't a single game giving you grief my advice would be different (actually I wouldn't have much to cont […]
Show full quote

Good luck!

Sound advice to be sure. I'll try it on my other win98 system and see how that goes but still there should be some kind of
patch out there somewhere.....

Actually, now that I think about it, there MIGHT be something else you can look at... for the EA Sports type of games of this era, later graphics cards often go undetected - late 90's/early 2000's NHL Hockey games come to mind. If you add updates to the registry for its "Thrash" driver to recognize the card, you might be in luck. Here's a link below to Tiger Woods updates (for nGlide). Scroll down and you'll see Tiger Woods 2000 and 2001. Take a look at the .reg file inside the zip. You won't need the Wow6432Node entry, of course. Reviewing the 3dfx entry, renaming the descriptions won't do anything but keep it tidy (which I would update), but playing around with the D3D Device, Thrash Driver, (and if those settings work, Resolution) might get you what you need.

https://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide/compatibility

Reply 4 of 6, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks Meatball, I'll look into it!

Reply 5 of 6, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
buckeye wrote on 2022-07-08, 15:04:

Also tried the patch but the result is the same.

Which patch are you referring to? There was (at least) a Version 1.1 patch, a Version 1.2 patch and a 3DSetup update. The 3DSetup Update indicates the following:

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 2001 - 3DSetup Update Readme -------------------------------------- […]
Show full quote

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 2001 - 3DSetup Update Readme
--------------------------------------

Ver. 2.31.77 -- 03/26/01

Table of Contents

I. What this patch does
II. Installation
III. Running 3DSetup
XIV. Legal

------------------------------------------
I. What this patch does
This new version of 3DSetup supports additional graphics cards which were not available at the time of release. Specifically it fixes resolution detection for nVidia cards

This patch is in my archive as 3dsetup.zip.

Reply 6 of 6, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
akula65 wrote on 2022-07-09, 01:15:
Which patch are you referring to? There was (at least) a Version 1.1 patch, a Version 1.2 patch and a 3DSetup update. The 3DSe […]
Show full quote
buckeye wrote on 2022-07-08, 15:04:

Also tried the patch but the result is the same.

Which patch are you referring to? There was (at least) a Version 1.1 patch, a Version 1.2 patch and a 3DSetup update. The 3DSetup Update indicates the following:

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 2001 - 3DSetup Update Readme -------------------------------------- […]
Show full quote

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 2001 - 3DSetup Update Readme
--------------------------------------

Ver. 2.31.77 -- 03/26/01

Table of Contents

I. What this patch does
II. Installation
III. Running 3DSetup
XIV. Legal

I. What this patch does
This new version of 3DSetup supports additional graphics cards which were not available at the time of release. Specifically it fixes resolution detection for nVidia cards

This patch is in my archive as 3dsetup.zip.

Tried the 1.2 patch I believe to no avail. When I get time time I'll try them in sequence and see what happens.

I installed the game on my P2 system with the voodoo3 and had no problem.