VOGONS

Win98SE CD-RW utilities?

Topic actions

First post, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I cant seem to figure out how to reformat a rewritable disk in Windows 98 SE. Ive done it before on newer systems with windows 7 or 10, but im assuming the software was built into the OS, where as Win98SE doesnt have it built in. Is there some kind of software I could use to help with this? Thanks

Edit: I cant write to one either. The drive im using is capable of writing to a blank disk

Reply 1 of 28, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back in the day I used either CDRWin (but looks like they got taken out by the 2008 financial crisis), or, I used cdrecord and other tools originating from Linux from a CYGWIN shell.

Be aware there are hoops to jump through (aspi) to use an ATAPI CD-RW drive.

Reply 4 of 28, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nero Burning ROM 5 to 7 had some CD-RW utility included on CD, if memory serves.
Was installed on my father's PC. It was located in the taskbar, near the clock..
Nero 5 and 6 ran on Windows 98/Me still, I think.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 28, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2022-07-31, 06:09:

Nero Burning ROM 5 to 7 had some CD-RW utility included on CD, if memory serves.
Was installed on my father's PC. It was located in the taskbar, near the clock..
Nero 5 and 6 ran on Windows 98/Me still, I think.

i would be looking for software or an iso image to transfer via usb, as I have no legit copies of almost any of my software 🤣

Reply 6 of 28, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IIRC, some older versions of ImgBurn did work on Win98SE.

That's a freeware program which has all the CD writing features that one could possibly need.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 7 of 28, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-07-31, 07:19:

IIRC, some older versions of ImgBurn did work on Win98SE.

That's a freeware program which has all the CD writing features that one could possibly need.

The latest (last) version should work even with Win95, direct quite from the main page:

ImgBurn wrote:

ImgBurn supports all the Microsoft Windows OS's - Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT4, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 2008, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 (including all the 64-bit versions). If you use Wine, it should also run on Linux and other x86-based Unixes.

Thankfully the installer also no longer has adware embedded in like it once used to, at least the installer hosted on the main page (Mirror 7 - Provided by ImgBurn)

Reply 8 of 28, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nero InCD! It was Nero InCD, the memory suddenly came back! 🥳

It allowed using CD-RW's similar to floppy disks, among other things!

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 28, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

+1 for Nero 😁

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 11 of 28, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Alistar1776 wrote on 2022-12-23, 15:45:

Update: Ive gotten aspi on the Win98SE machine, and someone said there were hoops to jump thru to get it working? What is it I need to do?

I think they were talking about getting the drive recognized as a burner rather then just a CD-ROM.
Was bit of pain back in the day. Usually the burning software eg nero would include a bunch but sometimes your drive may luck out and not have a compatible driver.
But as we are talking about fairly "new" software by Win98 standards you should be fine I'd think.

Nero 5 is what I use on 9x PC's. Partly nostalgia partly because it IS a good powerful program.
ImgBurn is what I use on XP and later, didn't know it supported 9x, I'd probably go with this as a first choice as your not trying to relive the past

Reply 12 of 28, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2023-01-06, 04:02:
I think they were talking about getting the drive recognized as a burner rather then just a CD-ROM. Was bit of pain back in the […]
Show full quote
Alistar1776 wrote on 2022-12-23, 15:45:

Update: Ive gotten aspi on the Win98SE machine, and someone said there were hoops to jump thru to get it working? What is it I need to do?

I think they were talking about getting the drive recognized as a burner rather then just a CD-ROM.
Was bit of pain back in the day. Usually the burning software eg nero would include a bunch but sometimes your drive may luck out and not have a compatible driver.
But as we are talking about fairly "new" software by Win98 standards you should be fine I'd think.

Nero 5 is what I use on 9x PC's. Partly nostalgia partly because it IS a good powerful program.
ImgBurn is what I use on XP and later, didn't know it supported 9x, I'd probably go with this as a first choice as your not trying to relive the past

Id gotten a new in box cd-rom drive that came with Nero 6, lucked out there. Think I got some write corruption going on somewhere, i installed everything and it crashes tryna run it

Reply 13 of 28, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd try a clean install of windows. If Nero shipped with the drive then Nero would have also included an required drivers.
What is the spec of the PC. Back in the day coasters were quite common. I'd put the burner on Secondary Master, have nothing running an leave the PC alone, anything to avoid a blue screen or buffer under run

Reply 16 of 28, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2023-01-07, 17:32:

I'd try a clean install of windows. If Nero shipped with the drive then Nero would have also included an required drivers.
What is the spec of the PC. Back in the day coasters were quite common. I'd put the burner on Secondary Master, have nothing running an leave the PC alone, anything to avoid a blue screen or buffer under run

Specs are 933Mhz PIII, 512mb ram, Riva TNT 2, Soundblaster Live! The burner is set to secondary master, primarily cause of the space between it and the boot drive, to far for one cable. Currently working on a fresh install of windows on a different drive.

Reply 17 of 28, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stretch wrote on 2023-01-07, 19:21:

I remember using Adaptec Eeasy CD Creator and B's Recorder Gold. I don't remember the multi-session capabilities now.

I tried ImageBurn and that seemed to work fine, except for windows itself crashing around it while writing the disk 🤣. Wrote the disk successfully tho, despite the os taking a dump in the process.

Reply 18 of 28, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Alistar1776 wrote on 2023-01-08, 04:04:
Stretch wrote on 2023-01-07, 19:21:

I remember using Adaptec Eeasy CD Creator and B's Recorder Gold. I don't remember the multi-session capabilities now.

I tried ImageBurn and that seemed to work fine, except for windows itself crashing around it while writing the disk 🤣. Wrote the disk successfully tho, despite the os taking a dump in the process.

I've heard of people reading while taking a dump. Writing is a new one for me. 😉

Joking aside, if Windows keeps crashing while using the drive to write, there may be something wrong with the hardware or software side.

Are you overclocking and are chipset and/or IDE controller drivers installed ?

EDIT: And make sure DMA is enabled for both hard disks and optical drives in device manager.

Reply 19 of 28, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2023-01-08, 08:42:
I've heard of people reading while taking a dump. Writing is a new one for me. ;) […]
Show full quote

I've heard of people reading while taking a dump. Writing is a new one for me. 😉

Joking aside, if Windows keeps crashing while using the drive to write, there may be something wrong with the hardware or software side.

Are you overclocking and are chipset and/or IDE controller drivers installed ?

EDIT: And make sure DMA is enabled for both hard disks and optical drives in device manager.

Ive upgraded the HDD from 60gb to 120gb now, and am installing the unofficial SP3. Drivers for chipset and IDE are installed. the processor is at 930mhz, the listing I bought it from said 933, but came to me configured for 750, so im not really sure if its OC or not. Ill double check DMA settings when I get a chance.