VOGONS

First post, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
Many years ago I bought the game Primal Rage and at the time I was able to crack it to run without the CD. I used to have this cracked executable for a long time but unfortunately I lost it.
Does anyone knows a place to download the crack or the cracked exe? Only thing I found was some manual steps for cracking using an hex editor, but it didn't work for me. To make things worse, there are three different versions of the game (4,8 and 16mb versions) and each has a different executable.
With dosbox there is no problem as I can just mount the CD image, but on real hardware It's quite annoying having to insert the CD to play as it doesn't add anything to the game.
Btw I always install the 16mb version.
Thanks in advance

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 2 of 4, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ldeveraux wrote on 2022-08-31, 16:57:

I would have thought GameCopyWorld would have something, but no. Just google 'primal rage nocd' and try your luck against viruses I guess?

Tried that, only thing I could find was a txt file describing which bytes to change using an hex editor. Changed it but it didn't work.
Also tried downloading abandonware version of the game, but only one I can find is the 4mb version.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
256Mb PC100 RAM
32GB HDD

Reply 3 of 4, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gaffa2002 wrote on 2022-08-31, 18:46:

I would have thought GameCopyWorld would have something, but no. Just google 'primal rage nocd' and try your luck against viruses I guess?

Tried that, only thing I could find was a txt file describing which bytes to change using an hex editor. Changed it but it didn't work.
Also tried downloading abandonware version of the game, but only one I can find is the 4mb version.

I got this working using a small dos util called 'KGB Utility 1.04' many years ago. You run it and it monitors some dos functions like opening and closing files. It saves it to a history file and you can look at what files the game is checking for and using as protection.
Again this was back in the 90's but it was simply a case of hex editing this filename out in the .exe and it worked. You still need to load mscdex and the cd driver while using kgb. I had to do it when my cd drive broke and they were expensive back then.

Reply 4 of 4, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Riikcakirds wrote on 2022-09-01, 15:03:
gaffa2002 wrote on 2022-08-31, 18:46:

I got this working using a small dos util called 'KGB Utility 1.04' many years ago. You run it and it monitors some dos functions like opening and closing files. It saves it to a history file and you can look at what files the game is checking for and using as protection.
Again this was back in the 90's but it was simply a case of hex editing this filename out in the .exe and it worked. You still need to load mscdex and the cd driver while using kgb. I had to do it when my cd drive broke and they were expensive back then.

Many thanks! Will try it and report back.
Edit: Tried using KGB, it shows some files the game attempts to open, but nothing that seemed to be relevant for the CD check at first glance. Didn't check much because luckily I was able to find the old exe I used to have on the internet (mine is version 1.0 of the game), now I'm being able to play it without the CD again.
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, will surely keep this KGB tool as it seems very useful if I ever need to know which files are used by other games.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
256Mb PC100 RAM
32GB HDD