VOGONS

First post, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When Windows 95 is rebooted, it will automatically reopen any explorer windows that were left open. Anyone knows how to prevent this? It's particularly annoying if there was a network drive / floppy / CD opened and it's throwing all sorts of errors if the media is not present anymore.

Windows 3.1 does a similar thing, it will reopen any program manager windows that were left open, can this also be disabled?

Reply 1 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
asdf53 wrote on 2022-11-29, 06:23:

When Windows 95 is rebooted, it will automatically reopen any explorer windows that were left open. Anyone knows how to prevent this? It's particularly annoying if there was a network drive / floppy / CD opened and it's throwing all sorts of errors if the media is not present anymore.

Good question, Mac OS 8/9 does the same I vaguely remember..

asdf53 wrote on 2022-11-29, 06:23:

Windows 3.1 does a similar thing, it will reopen any program manager windows that were left open, can this also be disabled?

Yes, that's possible. In both File Manager and Program Manager.

To do so, firstly you must arrange (open or close, change window sizes) the windows the way you want.

Then, check/select "save on exit" in one of the menus. If it's uncheck/unselected, I mean.

After this:

File Manager: You must close File Manager and re-open it. Uncheck "save on exit"

Program Manager: You must close Program Manager.
If it asks to shut down Windows (since it's configured as the default shell) click cancel.
Uncheck "save on exit".

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 7, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The instructions for Windows 3.1 worked, thank you! I'm not the biggest fan of the Windows 3.1 interface, but this makes it a lot better.

And your tip gave me a good hint, I googled for "Windows 95" and "Save on Exit" and found the solution. This can be done using the Policy Editor which is not installed by default.

Insert the Windows 95 CD, go to "Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Windows Setup > Have Disk...", point it to "D:\Admin\Apptools\Poledit" and click OK. It is now available in the Start Menu under "Accessoires > System Tools > System Policy Editor".

Run it, go to "File / Open Registry", choose "Local User" or "Local Machine" depending on what you want, and under "Shell / Access restrictions" you'll find an option "Don't save settings on exit".

In theory, you could set the corresponding registry setting manually without poledit (supposedly HKCU/HKLM / Software / Microsoft / Windows / CurrentVersion / Policies / Explorer / DWORD NoSaveSettings=1). This didn't work for me though.

Last edited by asdf53 on 2022-11-29, 11:46. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Strange none of my computers do this, I thought it was default behavior?
I have always installed TweakUI so suspect have been turning off this feature all these years without even knowing about it!

Reply 4 of 7, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe they have turned it off in the newest release (Win95 OSR 2.5), I am using the slightly older OSR 2.0. I had tried TweakUI as well, that was the first thing that came to my mind. But sadly it didn't have this option.

Reply 5 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thats definitely possible as I do use OSR 2.5 (with the IE4 cabs removed)
but thinking about it I think I have memories of the annoying wait for the computer to error out on what you already know "cannot read from drive A:" -no kidding dumba$$
So maybe it was fixed in Win98 and I'm getting confused.
No matter, poledit is a clean fix to a very annoying setting.

Reply 7 of 7, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kalle wrote on 2022-11-29, 12:42:

Thank you. That's interesting, so this is when they changed it. I could have sworn that Windows 98 did not have this behavior and I never install IE6, but some of its files are probably installed with other Microsoft updates. I will definitely test this the next time I do a fresh install of 98.