120g.png
Filename
120g.png
File size
6.32 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Got a 320GB mini IDE disk. This disk works fine with BSDs, Linuxes on the same box seeing the whole capacity.

However Novell 4.11 don't want to play nice only sees about 130GB which reminds me to that old 120GB cap crap

According to the dox I can find online as stunning this is even the 4.x series had the capability to use:

• 4GB ram
    32 TB hdd
    32 TB maximum volume size
    16 million directory entries
    4 GB max file size
    100 000 open files simoulteanously

So what's the big deal now champ 😁 An ideas? Otherwise I will use that drive for smth else but what a pity it would be...

Reply 1 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Novell Netware 4.11? Hm. It's from the mid-90s.
I guess that SCSI drives were normally used back then in such an environment ?

It's just a wild guess, though. 5 GB were still big back then.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 4, by Gopher666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh so you assume it's a limitation of the Novell IDE driver?

It definitely seems like an OS detection/limitation issue just did a test with vmware it's the same max size is 131069.3 MB 😦 FUUUU

Novell is a maze, it's not that clearcut regardless that this is the 4.11 intranetware, intranetware already has patches in it and I installed the 6SP which patches it even more.

Back then they backported shitload of stuff from higher versions into the patches to keep it "LTS" 😁

Patching this is an absolute fucking nightmare as all other components like the webserver, groupware, border manager etc has their own patches.

Reply 3 of 4, by Gopher666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I played around these a bit, it's actually pretty bad you need to go up to version 6.0 to have large drives recognized properly:

NetWare 6-2023-01-02-19-26-45.png
Filename
NetWare 6-2023-01-02-19-26-45.png
File size
6.57 KiB
Views
File comment
kiek
File license
CC-BY-4.0

NetWare 6.0
NetWare 6 was released in October 2001, shortly after its predecessor. This version has a simplified licensing scheme based on users, not server connections. This allows unlimited connections per user to any number of NetWare servers in the network.[23] Novell Cluster Services was also improved to support 32-node clusters;[24] the base NetWare 6.0 product included a two-node clustering license.

Considering this yeah that 120gb cap in 2k1 is quite understandable 😁

As for SCSI I couldn't test it, it didn't like my vmware.

Reply 4 of 4, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I expect NetWare 4.11 will handle large SCSI disks just fine - its a better designed interface than IDE, and very large SCSI attached storage devices would have been achievable even in the 90s if you had the money thanks to SCSI-attached array controllers.