VOGONS

First post, by Oerg866

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 98 QuickInstall
This is a framework that is intended for creating and preparing Windows 98 installation ISO images in a way that is optimized for extremely quick installation, similar to nLite, but with a completely different method and context.

It takes the root file system of an already installed Windows 98 system and packages it, whilst allowing drivers and tools to be slipstreamed at will.

For the installer, it uses Linux as a base, paired with some tools to allow hard disk partitioning and formatting, as well as a custom installer with a custom data packing method that is optimized for streaming directly from CD to the hard disk without any seeking.

Bottom line, this means that the effort for the user to build an ISO is higher than for example nLite, but the degree of customizability is also massively increased.

How fast is it really?
On a Pentium III class machine with ATA / ATAPI Ultra DMA available for all storage devices, Windows 98 -- using an ISO built with this framework -- can be installed from CD in roughly 60-90 seconds.

Disclaimer
Windows is a trademark that belongs to Microsoft Corporation.

This project has NO ENDORSEMENT FROM ANY INVOLVED PARTIES, SUCH AS MICROSOFT.

Please don't sue. I just like old computers 🙁

Download

Last edited by Oerg866 on 2023-01-17, 03:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by ldeveraux

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So this will take an active install of 98SE and package it into an installer CD image? Couldn't you literally copy the entire folder structure of 98 to a new drive and everything will work as before, MBR not withstanding? This also can't be an actual 98 install on a HDD, it's a new virtual environment?

Reply 2 of 8, by Oerg866

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ldeveraux wrote on 2023-01-16, 16:44:

So this will take an active install of 98SE and package it into an installer CD image? Couldn't you literally copy the entire folder structure of 98 to a new drive and everything will work as before, MBR not withstanding? This also can't be an actual 98 install on a HDD, it's a new virtual environment?

Sort-of. This means that you are able to install patches, software, updates as you please, before building the ISO. The preparation script also will batch slipstream any drivers that you wish to include. On the first boot after installing, the hardware will be re-detected. And of course, you can use a physical installation from a hard disk as a base line.

The installer is Linux based and optimized to install this system as quickly as possible, compared to a real or even protected mode DOS approach. In fact, at the very beginning, while the disk partitioning wizard is running, the system memory is already being filled with the OS data, to save an extra couple of seconds.

ALSO - yes you could "literally do that", however, you need to make sure LFNs and file modification dates stay intact, and obviously you lose any slipstreaming capabilities with that. It's also probably slower by a considerable margin.

As said, a full installation can be copied in around 60-90 seconds.
It also modifies the MBR and boot sector of the target disk/partition.

It is high effort, but very powerful once grasped, I think 😀

Reply 3 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello,

You'll need to clarify this statement "Reference ISOs including lots of patches and tools which I cannot link here because they're technically piracy can be found on archive.org (search for the forum thread's title)"
We don't allow so called "abandonware" aka so called "piracy" here this includes posts on where to acquire it.
If there is then it should be removed, for questionable items you should probably be proactive and state if the included software is shareware/freeware/trial, if the license(s) allow distribution,etc.
If no response I'll remove the statement and/or close the thread

Thanks

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 8, by Oerg866

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, the reference ISO contains a literal copy of Windows 98, so I did not want to link it directly. I had hoped it was vague enough 😜 I edited the post to only link to the framework to create one yourself.

(sometimes I wish this place wasn't so uptight 😐)

Reply 5 of 8, by antiriad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was able to Install Windows 98 SE Quickinstall on a 86Box but for some reason, I have an issue partitioning a real disk on a real P4 System with the cfDisk Manager. I am able to create partitions but the software is unable to Detect/Format the Partition to Fat 32. There are is no Partition Type "W95 FAT32 (LBA)" . I see about 30 other partition types.

What is the issue?
Note the the HDD I am trying to install is 512GB SSD but I only create small partitions.

Attachments

Reply 6 of 8, by arizonapalms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tested this on a real IBM Aptiva with a K6 550Mhz to a 32gb SD -> IDE adapter.
Took about 3-4 minutes from no OS to a Windows 98 desktop. That's record time for me.
Top work, I'll be following this project closely as I really like automating as much as I can with my builds, from group policy via AD for 2000/XP systems to creating automated .msi's for games/benchmarking tools.

Reply 8 of 8, by Oerg866

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
antiriad wrote on 2023-06-01, 21:35:

I was able to Install Windows 98 SE Quickinstall on a 86Box but for some reason, I have an issue partitioning a real disk on a real P4 System with the cfDisk Manager. I am able to create partitions but the software is unable to Detect/Format the Partition to Fat 32. There are is no Partition Type "W95 FAT32 (LBA)" . I see about 30 other partition types.

What is the issue?
Note the the HDD I am trying to install is 512GB SSD but I only create small partitions.

Hi,

The entry "c" is the fat32 LBA type.

CFDISK is somewhat unintuitive. After creating the partition you need to select "write" or press shift+w to write the partition table, else the changes will not be saved.

Then the installer will allow you to format this partition (CFDISK does not do this automatically).

Best
Eric