VOGONS

First post, by MAZter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found some weird CD in my games collection, looks like not properly finished game release "Incoming" by Rage, differs from the original release.

This is probably a version of the game released in a hurry, by mistake, or even a build for demonstration at an exhibition (but nowhere is it said that this is a demo),
why was all this rolled up in setup as a full-fledged game?

I will list the differences from the regular release in brief:

1) Dates of creation of the main files a month earlier than in the usual release (March, not April)
2) Glitchy rendering of the Rage logo on the splash screen, regardless of the video card
3) Uncleaned fragments of the developer's code in the exe file, which are not in the regular version, for example, there are such lines:

C:\Program Files\DevStudio\MyProjects\income\source\Game1.c.Mar 11 1998 13:13:39
Intel Pentium II + AGP Demonstration (c) Rage Software plc. 1997
Thank you for viewing Incoming Engine v0.01
OEM Build

4) There are only 4 scenarios in the game, without a choice: Africa, The Arctic, California, The Moon
5) Reduced game options
6) Some sound effects in wav are replaced, and some are missing
7) Minor differences in textures/graphics
😎 The last audio track is missing

The installed game takes up 25 megabytes on the disk versus 50 in a regular release.

There is also a full-fledged help file, which also does not contain a word about the demo release.

Well, enough writing, here is the release itself:

https://archive.org/details/rage-incoming-oem … d-engine-v-0.01

Heh, let me know, if i'm wrong and this is well known release, and I just waste my time for research 😀)

compare.jpg
Filename
compare.jpg
File size
233.97 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Doom is what you want (c) MAZter

Reply 3 of 7, by Gorion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am not sure if I have the disc you are talking about but I have one copy of Incoming that says "Dem Version" on the disc itself (see attachment).

I was unable to install it on my new computer (see pictures of error message), whereas I was able to install the full Rage Incoming game. I was then weirdly enough able to play the Incoming game with the "Dem Version" disc, in addition to the normal disc (by clicking on the yellow man). I am curious as to what these Voodoo 1 and Voodoo 2 installs are and how they difer from the full game.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 7, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MAZter wrote on 2023-05-02, 23:02:
I found some weird CD in my games collection, looks like not properly finished game release "Incoming" by Rage, differs from the […]
Show full quote

I found some weird CD in my games collection, looks like not properly finished game release "Incoming" by Rage, differs from the original release.

1) Dates of creation of the main files a month earlier than in the usual release (March, not April)
2) Glitchy rendering of the Rage logo on the splash screen, regardless of the video card
3) Uncleaned fragments of the developer's code in the exe file, which are not in the regular version, for example, there are such lines:

C:\Program Files\DevStudio\MyProjects\income\source\Game1.c.Mar 11 1998 13:13:39
Intel Pentium II + AGP Demonstration (c) Rage Software plc. 1997
Thank you for viewing Incoming Engine v0.01
OEM Build

It's this one: http://redump.org/disc/53295/

It was first ripped (at least for redump) in 2018. OEM releases differing from retail in content is not unusual.

Gorion wrote on 2024-04-02, 13:35:

I am not sure if I have the disc you are talking about but I have one copy of Incoming that says "Dem Version" on the disc itself

It clearly says OEM. There are multiple releases: http://redump.org/discs/system/pc/quicksearch/incoming

Reply 5 of 7, by Gorion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It clearly says OEM. There are multiple releases: http://redump.org/discs/system/pc/quicksearch/incoming

Thank you for the link! So interesting to see all the different versions. So that means I have two copies of the game, one where it was able to install (with the serial number 184-G3D019-00 labeled on the disc), and the other that I couldn't install (and no visible serial), but allowed me to play the game when the disc was in the drive.

I wasn't familiar with the term OEM, and so at first glimpse, calling that letter an O was very generous in my mind due to the font of the letters.

For the sake of completeness, I am including a screensot of the files between the two versions of Incoming that I have:

Attachments

• OEM light green version.png
    Filename
    OEM light green version.png
    File size
    57.14 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    OEM light green version - Does not install
    File license
    Public domain
  • Dark green version.png
    Filename
    Dark green version.png
    File size
    55.09 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Dark green version - Does install
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 6 of 7, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gorion wrote on 2024-04-03, 10:10:

one where it was able to install (with the serial number 184-G3D019-00 labeled on the disc), and the other that I couldn't install (and no visible serial)

There are multiple releases with that serial number. What's the part number (P/N)?

Screenshot 2024-04-03 161020.png
Filename
Screenshot 2024-04-03 161020.png
File size
502.59 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

There are also ring codes listed on that redump website. What's the codes on your discs?

Inner_Ring.png
Filename
Inner_Ring.png
File size
394.61 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 7 of 7, by Gorion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The one I have doesn't seem to have a part number on the disc. See attached the front and the back for the numbers on the back. The code reads SF0415 IFPI L111 - And then in smaller font on the green part of the ring which may be hard to see with the picture, I see IFPI 2221.

The back of the light green disc (the one I was unable to install) is attached as well and that reads GM-Incoming GD-IFPI LD68.

Attachments

• PXL_20240407_122433464.jpg
    Filename
    PXL_20240407_122433464.jpg
    File size
    878.3 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Back of Incoming Light Green
    File license
    Public domain
  • PXL_20240407_122407833.jpg