Reply 20 of 25, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sukhoikip wrote on 2023-05-28, 03:22:
Meatball wrote on 2023-05-28, 03:06:
Sukhoikip wrote on 2023-05-28, 02:38:

Meatball, I tried the above settings, it generates a different error, attached. After a few POSTs the system stopped POSTing and instead made a couple long beeps followed by endless short beeps. Clearing the CMOS seems like a good point to stop for the night.

Repo Man, I set the timings to "slow" which is the best the BIOS would allow even if the RAM was the problem. The RAM is probably fine as it's the same kit I used for hwbot X265 on my S370, during which it ran for almost 30 hours at PC140. Is there a way to just get the memtest program so I can run it from the DOS prompt rather than burn an entire CD to test one system?

Based on your description of the most recent POST codes, I wonder if there is a CPU problem. Have you tried a different K6-2? Are you able to swap in a Pentium MMX?

You didn't use the F5 and Standard HAL setting in this scenario, right? You shouldn't, but just checking.

I did try the Standard PC HAL with the BIOS settings you suggested, didn't realize I shouldn't. I do not have another socket 7 CPU, but I'm not inclined to blame it unless the system doesn't recover.

I should have clarified to prevent confusion; I apologize. Once the APM option is disabled the system is ACPI, and F5 won't be necessary during Windows setup.

Reply 21 of 25, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sukhoikip wrote on 2023-05-28, 02:38:

Is there a way to just get the memtest program so I can run it from the DOS prompt rather than burn an entire CD to test one system?

I don't think you can get it in the form of a program that you run from some other OS - I'm pretty sure you have to boot it - but it's tiny, I'm pretty sure it can fit on a floppy, and https://www.memtest.org/ has instructions for putting it on USB. You can also network boot it.

If you have any Linux install/live CDs, it is possible that their boot menu has a memtest86 option. Some Knoppix versions I've used do anyway.

Reply 23 of 25, by Sukhoikip

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Letting it sit unplugged with the CMOS battery out overnight has not recovered it, so this project is shelved indefinitely. Thanks for the help everyone.

Edit: here is the beep code: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/523980 … 61/IMG_5515.mov. It flashes num, caps and scroll lock in time with the 2 long beeps

Reply 24 of 25, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sukhoikip wrote on 2023-05-28, 13:11:

Letting it sit unplugged with the CMOS battery out overnight has not recovered it, so this project is shelved indefinitely. Thanks for the help everyone.

Edit: here is the beep code: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/523980 … 61/IMG_5515.mov. It flashes num, caps and scroll lock in time with the 2 long beeps

Don't be hasty. I understand your frustration.
Let it seat for a week and go back to it then.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 25 of 25, by Sukhoikip

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Still dead a week later, so it's going to have to sit until I decide to give it new hardware. The issues with NT5.X must've been something on the cusp of death that decided to die shortly after trying the last round of BIOS settings.