VOGONS

First post, by Good_Punk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've recently went back to play Wacky Wheels, but oh my that frame-rate gives me a headache.
Is there any mod, remaster or some magic that increases the frame-rate maybe? (And no I'm not talking about that modern 3D remake 😅)

Reply 2 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the same. Try fixed cycles, maybe. "Auto" uses higher cycles for Protected-Mode stuff, I vaguely remember. Like Windows 3. 1 or DOS games using DOS4GW.
Skunny Kart or Whacky Wheels are Real-Mode, though. Maybe with 32-Bit i386 instructions mixed in.

Try typing cycles=fixed 9000 at DOSBox prompt. Or any higher value
- Just don't overdo, or else the CPU goes down to its knees. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 6, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think that's not what Good_Punk ask guys. The frame rate is locked to a quite low value so once you reach that you can't go smoother regardless of dosbox cycles or real hardware power.

Reply 4 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah... the game is something like 15~20fps?
I often wished for a patch to bring it at least to 30~35fps , it would be way more enjoyable on capable systems

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 6, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
konc wrote on 2023-05-27, 13:17:

I think that's not what Good_Punk ask guys. The frame rate is locked to a quite low value so once you reach that you can't go smoother regardless of dosbox cycles or real hardware power.

Well, that's a different story. OP didn't mention this.