VOGONS

Reply 800 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finished the VGM compression utility.

I started to code it as I found no tool in the VGMTools to compres the .VGM created by DOSBOX for CMS Music.
My Tool divide by 10 the VGM Stream size for CMS and reduce the size for OPL2, OPL3... as well.

I release it here as a Pre version.
I will publish it in GitHub with the source.

Attachments

Reply 802 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote on 2021-12-10, 07:30:

Very cool. How exactly did you do it?

Like explained in the post.

I did put a minimum value for the Delay and I output the last value sent to a register Per time period.

Reply 803 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FreddyV wrote on 2021-12-12, 22:33:
root42 wrote on 2021-12-10, 07:30:

Very cool. How exactly did you do it?

Like explained in the post.

I did put a minimum value for the Delay and I output the last value sent to a register Per time period.

Ok! Now I got it. You basically did a quantization of the time. Yeah, that makes sense. I thought it was perhaps some kind of compression algorithm, like RLE, or even LZ or something. Fair enough, that is easy enough to implement.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 804 of 929, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi FreddyV, for some reason I was testing your player and the USMP library when I noticed mod master had interwave written everywhere but it saw mine as a classic GUS. I assume those are placehold for when you'll got an guspnp to check ?

The file listing did not show all files and stopped listing files after around 240 files (a rough estimate because 13 pages of 18 files plus some on the last pages rounded to my GUS base port address...), I though it was the attribute problem Keropi reported but all attributes are ok. Maybe I can investigate further if you will ? I checked and the older 2.3 (non-xt) did not had this bug.

One last suggestion, why dont you keep the latest version of Mod Master XT on your first post ? It would make it easy to find/download latest.

oh and by the way ... Salut les Français 🇫🇷 🙋‍♂️ from across the pond !

Reply 805 of 929, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ElBrunzy wrote on 2021-12-21, 05:29:
Hi FreddyV, for some reason I was testing your player and the USMP library when I noticed mod master had interwave written every […]
Show full quote

Hi FreddyV, for some reason I was testing your player and the USMP library when I noticed mod master had interwave written everywhere but it saw mine as a classic GUS. I assume those are placehold for when you'll got an guspnp to check ?

The file listing did not show all files and stopped listing files after around 240 files (a rough estimate because 13 pages of 18 files plus some on the last pages rounded to my GUS base port address...), I though it was the attribute problem Keropi reported but all attributes are ok. Maybe I can investigate further if you will ? I checked and the older 2.3 (non-xt) did not had this bug.

One last suggestion, why dont you keep the latest version of Mod Master XT on your first post ? It would make it easy to find/download latest.

I second the idea of keeping the latest version in the first post,
it's not fun having to wade through pages and pages of posts to find the latest version..

Or, you could make a quick/simple website somewhere with a description, technical details, features, formats supported and some screenshots / linked youtube videos,
and a download area with all your releases...

Terrence

Check out my new HP 100/200LX Palmtop YouTube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCVChzZ62a-c4MdJWyRwdCQ

Reply 806 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
radiance32 wrote on 2021-12-21, 07:17:
I second the idea of keeping the latest version in the first post, it's not fun having to wade through pages and pages of posts […]
Show full quote

I second the idea of keeping the latest version in the first post,
it's not fun having to wade through pages and pages of posts to find the latest version..

Or, you could make a quick/simple website somewhere with a description, technical details, features, formats supported and some screenshots / linked youtube videos,
and a download area with all your releases...

Terrence

I did it, the last version is the Beta 27.
I have a Blog now, https://freddyv.over-blog.com/

Reply 807 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElBrunzy wrote on 2021-12-21, 05:29:
Hi FreddyV, for some reason I was testing your player and the USMP library when I noticed mod master had interwave written every […]
Show full quote

Hi,

Interwave is not detected, you need to activate it in the Output Menu.

Yes, there is a limit in the number of file that can be displayed, to preserve the memory.
Browse a list of 240+ more files is big 😀

Code extract:
nbr_fich_max=255; {nombre maximal de fichiers dans un r‚pertoire (Previously 512)}

So I reduced the number of file displayed for this XT Version.

Reply 808 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

I still work (Really partial time) to publish Mod Master XT 1.0

For this, I need :
- A reviewed documentation.
- Remove small/cosmetics bugs in the code.
- Write the file converter software (To generate .MMM Files)
- I think I will add a .MMM Reader version only, to reduce the code size again.

No Idea when it will be published...

Next, I will more focus on the Mod Master XT "Library" / Code release, for Game/Demo developement, or if somebody want to do a graphical version 😀
I target at lease Tracker + Multi channel samples or Adlib/CMS/Tandy + Multi Channel audio.
I have no plan for a .MID replay to allow to play the same music on different sound output.

The library will be for Turbo Pascal, No C unfortunately, except if somebody want to convert it in the future...

I already have a working version, but with no sample replay.

FreddyV

Reply 809 of 929, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
radiance32 wrote on 2021-12-21, 19:46:
Hi, […]
Show full quote
FreddyV wrote on 2021-12-21, 14:55:

Hi,

For this, I need :

Next, I will more focus on the Mod Master XT "Library" / Code release, for Game/Demo developement, or if somebody want to do a graphical version 😀
I target at lease Tracker + Multi channel samples or Adlib/CMS/Tandy + Multi Channel audio.
I have no plan for a .MID replay to allow to play the same music on different sound output.

The library will be for Turbo Pascal, No C unfortunately, except if somebody want to convert it in the future...

FreddyV

Hi FreddyV,

I've asked you if I could design a graphical user interface for mod master XT,
but you never replied.
Since you mention "or if somebody want to do a graphical version 😀" in your post,
could you reply to my question ? I can make some preliminary mockups in photoshop,
and you can then review them and provide feedback for refinement.

I won't be able to do the coding for it though as I haven't seen any Pascal code since I was like 11 years old 😀
I could develop a front-end in C or C++, that uses API calls to the Mod Master XT engine that you're constantly refining,
but, if you will only support a Turbo Pascal API, someone else will have to do the coding as I don't have the time
to re-learn Pascal at the moment.
I'm also working on a large project in C++ at the moment, and if I should start coding in 2 programming languages at the same time,
I'll lose my edge / "muscle memory" in C++ (Don't know if that's the right term, I hope you understand what I mean...)

Personally I would develop it in C/C++ as it will produce the fastest code, and, it can be put into a git respository,
so others could contribute patches, and C/C++ is much more widely used in open/public development projects like this on the web...
But, if you want Turbo Pascal, that's fine with me, I'm happy to do the GUI design work, and someone else will have to write the code in Pascal...

So, are you up for me making some GUI mockup bitmaps for you and the others in this thread to have a look at ?
If you are, also please let me know what you're after. (eg screen modes you want to support, resolutions and color depths)
Personally I would prefer a lean/mean GUI, with, besides a high-res color version, also a CGA 640x200 mono version with the correct pixel aspect ratios,
and Hercules monochrome 720x348 mono version.
Since the software is developed to run on the slowest x86 systems like a 8088/8086 platform, having support for these monochrome resolutions would be a must, IMO.

Also, I assume you only want the non-player portion (eg the file selection and hardware configuration) part of the application to be using a GUI,
so the sound engine isn't weighed down by it during playback...

Yours,
Terrence

Check out my new HP 100/200LX Palmtop YouTube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCVChzZ62a-c4MdJWyRwdCQ

Reply 810 of 929, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

EDIT: Added link to a module file that causes this issue..

Hola @FreddyV!

I've been enjoying mod master immensely on my 286, but a bunch of modules cause it to produce text artifacts on screen (they tend to show up as certain - don't know which - instruments are played).

This is a 286-20, 4MB (of whcih 1.5MB EMS), DOS 6.22, GUS GF1 w/1MB.

Screenshot shows what I mean. Not all modules produce this, but a fair number. And even smallish 4-channel files. Playback itself is smooth, so I don't think I'm lacking horsepower..

File link:
https://anduin.net/~ltning/underworld_- ... remix).s3m

/Eirik
(btw - I don't seem to be able to adjust stereo/mono mixing, no keys seem to affect it. I don't have a mouse on that computer, so that's not an option :)

Attachments

• modmaster.jpg
    Filename
    modmaster.jpg
    File size
    1.72 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by ltning on 2021-12-22, 02:35. Edited 1 time in total.

The Floppy Museum - on a floppy, on a 286: http://floppy.museum
286-24/4MB/ET4kW32/GUS+SBPro2
386DX-40/20MB/CL5434 ISA/GUSExtreme
486BL-100/32MB/ET4kW32p VLB/GUSPnP/AWELegacy

~ love over gold ~

Reply 811 of 929, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ltning wrote on 2021-12-22, 00:04:

I've been enjoying mod master immensely on my 286, but a bunch of modules cause it to produce text artifacts on screen (they tend to show up as certain - don't know which - instruments are played).

If you let him know which modules causes the issues (i.e. either attach or link to and preferably with steps to reproduce) then that would probably be helpful...

Reply 812 of 929, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pan069 wrote on 2021-12-22, 01:37:

If you let him know which modules causes the issues (i.e. either attach or link to and preferably with steps to reproduce) then that would probably be helpful...

Splendid idea... (feel a bit silly now).
Post updated with link to file that was playing in the screenshot.

/Eirik

~ love over gold ~

Reply 813 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EDIT: Added link to a module file that causes this issue.. […]
Show full quote

Hola @FreddyV!

Screenshot shows what I mean. Not all modules produce this, but a fair number. And even smallish 4-channel files. Playback itself is smooth, so I don't think I'm lacking horsepower..

File link:

/Eirik
(btw - I don't seem to be able to adjust stereo/mono mixing, no keys seem to affect it. I don't have a mouse on that computer, so that's not an option 😀

Hi,

This is due to some debug I did on the Panning command.
I already corrected it but it is not published.
You can use beta26 it does not have the problem.

The mono stereo is used to modify the defaut planning values for .MOD.
It has no effect on modules having panning command.

Last edited by FreddyV on 2021-12-23, 12:40. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 814 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
radiance32 wrote on 2021-12-21, 19:51:
Hi FreddyV, […]
Show full quote
Hi, […]
Show full quote
FreddyV wrote on 2021-12-21, 14:55:

Hi,

For this, I need :

FreddyV

Hi FreddyV,

but you never replied.
Since you mention "or if somebody want to do a graphical version 😀" in your post,
could you reply to my question ? I can make some preliminary mockups in photoshop,

I won't be able to do the coding for it though as I haven't seen any Pascal code since I was like 11 years old 😀
I could develop a front-end in C or C++, that uses API calls to the Mod Master XT engine that you're constantly refining,
but, if you will only support a Turbo Pascal API, someone else will have to do the coding as I don't have the time
I'm also working on a large project in C++ at the moment, and if I should start coding in 2 programming languages at the same time,
I'll lose my edge / "muscle memory" in C++ (Don't know if that's the right term, I hope you understand what I mean...)

Personally I would develop it in C/C++ as it will produce the fastest code, and, it can be put into a git respository,
so others could contribute patches, and C/C++ is much more widely used in open/public development projects like this on the web...
But, if you want Turbo Pascal, that's fine with me, I'm happy to do the GUI design work, and someone else will have to write the code in Pascal...

So, are you up for me making some GUI mockup bitmaps for you and the others in this thread to have a look at ?
If you are, also please let me know what you're after. (eg screen modes you want to support, resolutions and color depths)
Personally I would prefer a lean/mean GUI, with, besides a high-res color version, also a CGA 640x200 mono version with the correct pixel aspect ratios,
Since the software is developed to run on the slowest x86 systems like a 8088/8086 platform, having support for these monochrome resolutions would be a must, IMO.

Also, I assume you only want the non-player portion (eg the file selection and hardware configuration) part of the application to be using a GUI,

Yours,
Terrence

Hi

The interface coding is really time consuming
When I add new functionality, I spend more time to adapt the interface than coding it.

Anyway, Add a GFX screen during the replay is something that can be Nice.

You can t imagine the time spent on this code.
Convert all to C++ May need a huge effort.
But as all the replay code is in ASM, probably somebody will propose to do it if I publish the code.

Reply 815 of 929, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FreddyV wrote on 2021-12-23, 12:27:
Hi, […]
Show full quote
EDIT: Added link to a module file that causes this issue.. […]
Show full quote

Hola @FreddyV!

File link:

/Eirik
(btw - I don't seem to be able to adjust stereo/mono mixing, no keys seem to affect it. I don't have a mouse on that computer, so that's not an option :)

Hi,

This is due to some debug I did on the Panning command.
I already corrected it but it is not published.
You can use beta26 it does not have the problem.

The mono stereo is used to modify the defaut planning values for .MOD.
It has no effect on modules having panning command.

Okay - then I'll go back to beta26 and wait for beta28 :)

Thank you!

/Eirik

~ love over gold ~

Reply 816 of 929, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FreddyV wrote on 2021-12-23, 12:36:
Hi […]
Show full quote
Hi FreddyV, […]
Show full quote
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

For this, I need :

Next, I will more focus on the Mod Master XT "Library" / Code release, for Game/Demo developement, or if somebody want to do a graphical version :)

FreddyV

Hi FreddyV,

but you never replied.
Since you mention "or if somebody want to do a graphical version :)" in your post,

I won't be able to do the coding for it though as I haven't seen any Pascal code since I was like 11 years old :)

Yours,
Terrence

Hi

When I add new functionality, I spend more time to adapt the interface than coding it.

But as all the replay code is in ASM, probably somebody will propose to do it if I publish the code.

I did some UI programming in DOS back in the early 90s. The amount of time spent on seemingly trivial changes was ... mind boggling. That's why I decided to become a sysadmin, not a programmer.

I think, though, I still spend about as much time on supposedly-trivial stuff now as I would have as a programmer, so I'm not sure it made a big difference :D

We (well, I at least) thank you for your efforts!

/Eirik

~ love over gold ~

Reply 817 of 929, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FreddyV wrote on 2021-12-23, 12:36:
Hi […]
Show full quote
Hi FreddyV, […]
Show full quote
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

For this, I need :

FreddyV

Hi FreddyV,

but you never replied.

Yours,
Terrence

Hi

Ok, so 2 questions:

1. Do you want me to make you some GUI mockups in photoshop or not ? Your response was a bit vague...

2. Have you thought of picking a license your comfortable with like GPL (less permissive) or BSD (more permissive) and just open-sourcing your project,
and creating a GIT page (or any other development website) for it with information and your source code, so others can help by submitting patches for bugs,
or patches with new functionality ?

As your software is a very niche project that caters only to a small amount of users, I don't think you'll ever be able to make much money off it by selling it,
so making it open-source and publishing your source code might be a better option. But, that's up to you 😀

Cheers,
Radiance

Reply 818 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi.

As explained, doing change in the interface is a huge job.

I am more focus on the audio part.
Even back in the Day, the interface was made by a friend, Fabrice.

I am interested to see a proposal for an interface but the integration May take a lot of time.
I am more curious to try something else than convinced it is better than a text mode interface.

Reply 819 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About the code publishing.

If somebody make money with a game using my code it can be Nice if I have some compensation. It is more a matter of respect for my job than making money...

I have enaugh money. I surely make more money in one Day in my job that I will do with Mod Master in one year 😀

My main goal is to push the limits and make the PC XT plateform more fun to use.
So, for me, publish my code is important, the job done will be useless if I don't share it.
BTW, I already sent my code to Jim leonard.

I also already published one MOD/XM replay code more advanced and mature than Mod Master USMPlay.

So a licence like free to use and modify, but share something if money is made with it can be Nice.