VOGONS

First post, by AbsolutelyFree

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently added a CT2290 to my collection for a dedicated DOS machine on a 486. As far as the standard sound blaster functionality goes, it works perfectly. But I am having a lot of trouble getting MIDI sound to work when using daughterboards attached to the wavetable header.

Creative_Labs_Sound_Blaster_16_CT2290_Scan.jpg
Filename
Creative_Labs_Sound_Blaster_16_CT2290_Scan.jpg
File size
28.9 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I have the jumpers set exactly like this. As far as I can tell, MPUEN being closed enables the MPU-401 interface and MSEL being closed sets the I/O Address for the MPU-401 interface to 330.

In my MS-DOS 6.22 installation, I installed the SB16 drivers and rebooted. My AUTOEXEC.BAT contains the following:

SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:2 MAP:G
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q

Running through DIAGNOSE.EXE, all of these settings work successfully. I am able to get perfectly fine audio out of the line-out port (I am using an external amp) with the audio tests in DIAGNOSE.EXE.

If I run MIXERSET.EXE, I see that the MIDI volume is as high as everything else.

If I go into the SETUP.EXE for duke3d, I get perfectly fine audio when I test using the Sound Blaster music options. But if I switch it to Wave Blaster or general midi and use port 330, I get no sound at all. Not garbled noise, just nothing.

So far, I have confirmed that the daughterboard definitely works on other PnP sound cards under Windows. I tried using port 300 (with MSEL open), same result. I tried setting MPUEN to open, which causes no MPU-401 device to be recognized. I have also tried testing with doom and megamidi, both of which have the same results (no sound at all).

Does anyone know if I am doing something wrong here? Or have any ideas for other things to try? I am stumped by this one.

Reply 1 of 6, by AbsolutelyFree

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I figured it out! For some reason, this sound card just does not like the first daughterboard I was trying it with (DreamBlaster x16GS). As soon as I switched over to the other daughterboard I have on hand, the DreamBlaster X2GS SE, it instantly started working. Maybe some kind of power delivery issue? The X16GS works just fine on other sound cards, so I will just stick to using the daughterboard that works with this card.

Reply 2 of 6, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AbsolutelyFree wrote on 2024-05-01, 06:25:

I figured it out! For some reason, this sound card just does not like the first daughterboard I was trying it with (DreamBlaster x16GS). As soon as I switched over to the other daughterboard I have on hand, the DreamBlaster X2GS SE, it instantly started working. Maybe some kind of power delivery issue? The X16GS works just fine on other sound cards, so I will just stick to using the daughterboard that works with this card.

Could also be a failure to reset the daughterboard. At bootup a soundcard has to send a reset pulse of a certain time to the daughterboard, on the reset pin, to start it. Daughterboards have a different preferences of the exact parameters of this reset pulse.
On the other hand, I would expect the X16GS to be tolerant in this regard.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 3 of 6, by quigonhu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got my X16GS last week, and had the exact same problem with, also failed to use the CT2290 with this daught board.

This midi card works just fine with my other two sound cards, es1868 and ymf719.

It seems I need to buy another x2gs se board if I insist using the CT2290. Sigh, I actually really like this sound card~~

Reply 4 of 6, by quigonhu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got my X16GS last week, and had the exact same problem with, also failed to use the CT2290 with this daught board.

This midi card works just fine with my other two sound cards, es1868 and ymf719.

It seems I need to buy another x2gs se board if I insist using the CT2290. alas, I actually really like this sound card~~

Reply 6 of 6, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yes i received a messsage and will investigate.

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !