VOGONS

Reply 400 of 486, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thats cards are working in Linux is normal, its just much more modern OS architecture.

ACPI problem, cant be fixed just by some Bios settings, it needs update bios code.. these problem need deeper knowledge that probably anyone here to have, but there are MSFN guys 😀.. last resort is Rloew, if would be willing write some paid patch for it.
Look at this thread for XP is good start:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/178110-xp-on-z37 … wsers/#comments

You could also try, USB sound card (if is USB working for you, or you can add PCI USB2 controller, if you have enough slots) - there is native driver for it in Win98 SE, on some machines its working fine, on some dont.. other problem is remove it from system, make some disk backup before fiddling with that.

Otherwise what about networking is it working?

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 401 of 486, by mikedebian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ruthan wrote:
Thats cards are working in Linux is normal, its just much more modern OS architecture. […]
Show full quote

Thats cards are working in Linux is normal, its just much more modern OS architecture.

ACPI problem, cant be fixed just by some Bios settings, it needs update bios code.. these problem need deeper knowledge that probably anyone here to have, but there are MSFN guys 😀.. last resort is Rloew, if would be willing write some paid patch for it.
Look at this thread for XP is good start:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/178110-xp-on-z37 … wsers/#comments

You could also try, USB sound card (if is USB working for you, or you can add PCI USB2 controller, if you have enough slots) - there is native driver for it in Win98 SE, on some machines its working fine, on some dont.. other problem is remove it from system, make some disk backup before fiddling with that.

Otherwise what about networking is it working?

There's only been one BIOS update for this motherboard. Don't know if more are to come..
USB sound card sounds good, but the experiment I wanted was to get sound in DOS! I didn't even consider adding a PCI USB2 controller, that sounds like a good idea. Networking should work if the (very common) RTL8111/8168/8411 driver has been backported. I haven't looked into it 😀 My main focus is sound!

Reply 402 of 486, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These Bios Updates are not official, because official vendors dont care about legacy at all.
With Dos you would be 1st one who would be able to make it working - with Kamerats Addressing trick you maybe can make some Dos music player to work and few games, but that its.. With Windows 98 there are much more chances, but but only for Windows 9x native games,
Otherwise you need (unless some big software hack would be developed - more likely HW + SW mod) older HW, Dosbox, PCem, or now Vmware has at least some DOS SB16 support: Re: X58 + Yamaha7x4/AureaV1/2 Sound-pure Dos7.1- compatibility list(+i865/VIA) +research+ultimate configs, WIP- gurus ne On modern MBs even only Adlib sound is big deal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_JtMlrUUis

We discussed how to bypass chipset limitations a lot here:
PCie-to PCI, PCI to ISA, # of slots multipliers - bridges, risers, backplanes, research, especially for DOS, WIP. Conclusion is custom PCI-E PCI adapter board and lots of coding and testing + MB modification - and after that it will maybe work. Otherwise last chipset with Dos support is X79 (discovered by my.. Z97 / Z170 are dead even, as anything newer from Intel and with AMD it was always much worse) - but you are limited only by 1 PCI slot, or even older X58 with more PCI slots.

Info about X58 compatibility is here, with X79 probably would be same or similar, but i havent time to test it:
https://docs.zoho.com/sheet/published.do?rid= … 04bf92a9209e034

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 404 of 486, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is really discussion for other linked threads.
Update: I read the article link above already pointed out that LPC is the way, but we werent aware that maybe it could be used through TPM header, that is good point, but try low level guys in that thread, they will say you if its possible or if not and you will still need some adapter board..

Reply 405 of 486, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BTW, allegedly RLoew patches are no longer "paid" because he died and the estate is okay with them being given away freely in his memory.
Rudolph Loew apparently passed away in September 2019

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 406 of 486, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
canthearu wrote:

Yep, that is a great set of hardware biessea.

Now, you can get an ATX to AT converter cable from ebay. These I find work perfectly well with decent quality low endish ATX PSUs, especially if you can find something a little older than current designs. There is a lot of handwaving about the lack of 3.3V load and potential crossloading from running an AT PSU load on an ATX power supply, but I have found these fears largely unfounded, with it always just typically working.

Hey there I'm here and really happy!

Finally I found a Seasonic AT Power supply to make this great thing work, and today I tried to make it start...and guys..IT START!!! WHOA!!!! When I saw the post on my CRT Monitor (ViewSonic 19") I was astonished!

Now I assemble all in a case, a nice metal case of CoolerMaster, a Centurion one!

I post photos about that, I hope not going too much Offtopic guys...

take a look! And comment please 😀 I'm so excited!

IMG-20191007-150756.jpg

IMG-20191007-151234.jpg

IMG-20191007-155811.jpg

IMG-20191007-163847.jpg

PANO-20191007-155128.jpg

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 407 of 486, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mikedebian wrote:

I don't know if this is relevant to get some options on newer boards. I have a TPM interface.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1153718213449904128.html

Holy schit, LDRQ does exist on some of these headers, that will mean a modification will not be necessary to get access to the DMA signal for a possible LPC to ISA bridge. The LPC header on my main machine lacks the LDRQ pin for example.

Only complication is then needing chipset specific utilities to reprogram the LPC controller to pass on the IO ranges you want and hope they aren't gonna conflict with whatever is onboard.

I will definitely make a PCI+LPC to ISA bridge in future, but first I need to finish few projects that are underway and hope there's money left from them to work on the next things 🤣.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 408 of 486, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote:
Holy schit, LDRQ does exist on some of these headers, that will mean a modification will not be necessary to get access to the D […]
Show full quote
mikedebian wrote:

I don't know if this is relevant to get some options on newer boards. I have a TPM interface.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1153718213449904128.html

Holy schit, LDRQ does exist on some of these headers, that will mean a modification will not be necessary to get access to the DMA signal for a possible LPC to ISA bridge. The LPC header on my main machine lacks the LDRQ pin for example.

Only complication is then needing chipset specific utilities to reprogram the LPC controller to pass on the IO ranges you want and hope they aren't gonna conflict with whatever is onboard.

I will definitely make a PCI+LPC to ISA bridge in future, but first I need to finish few projects that are underway and hope there's money left from them to work on the next things 🤣.

That would be good news on those particular boards. Unfortunately, the boards I currently have or am currently looking at don't seem to have LDRQ mapped on it.

Also, from the looks of a few X570 motherboards that I searched online (namely ASUS PRIME X570-PRO), it seems a few recent boards now use SPI instead of LPC for TPM (as this uses even fewer pins). Still, most boards still use LPC for TPM at present.

EDIT: I just found that some Supermicro motherboards may have LDRQ on TPM header since it also doubles as a Port 80 connector (meant for debug cards) there. On some boards' manual, it says pin 20 being LPC_DRQ (optional) while for some other boards the pin 20 is simply RSV2 (reserved).

EDIT 2: It seems the 20-1 pin TPM connectors on boards of different manufacturers have a similar pinout (probably for interoperability to some extent), but tests may be needed to see whether or not the pin 20 is really wired to LPC_DRQ on a given motherboard.

Reply 409 of 486, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How to test if MB has LDRQ? Its possible to write simple testing utility for it?

Reply 410 of 486, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, it's not possible to test such HW feature by SW without some HW device like a loopback cable. It could be tested via multimeter simple diode test to recognize if the pin is connected somewhere (but not sure where) or leaved disconnected/GND/VCC...
From my experience it must be very rare to have LDRQ on TPM, I never met a MB (mostly Gygabyte that went trhorugh my hands) that would have it connected. But a brave HW modder can steal LDRQ from superIO chip (needed only for FDC - not used by current MBs and ECP LPT port - still can use LPT in EPP mode without DMA) and route it on unused pin of TPM via a wire...

>Tiido
Did you already bought Fintek LPC bridge chip?
I sometimes check ebay but still didn't find one for reasonable price/amount :\
The irony would be once we will reach the holly grail to have working LPC2ISA bridge then old TPM based on LPC will disappear from new MBs 😀 But PC compatability will breaks anyway in future...

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 411 of 486, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have not tried to buy the chip. Next time I am gonna mess with this stuff is when I hook up a CPLD or FPGA to LPC and PCI bus and create the ultimate ISA bridge. But for now my hands are full with some other things...

Reply 412 of 486, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, unfortunatelly I don't program CPLD/FPGAs. Would be good training but you will spent much more time developing the HDL - more price than for existing bridge chip. On the otherside, once it will be done, it would be possible to port the design to various CPLD/FPGA chips instead of locking to one hard to get chip type...

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 413 of 486, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One will still spend time in writing chipset and/or motherboard specific utilities, though they'll not be overly complicated.
UTsource lists the Fintek bridge, though no price for it. I suppose they said it was not available ? I see several on Aliexpress too and not really for a bad price.

Reply 414 of 486, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't look at Aliexpress but now I cannot see any Fintek F85226FG there.
On ebay there are 2 for 24e + shipping - f*ck...

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-02, 07:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 415 of 486, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is the one sanely priced thing I saw on Aliexpress : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32839231409.html

Reply 416 of 486, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, that's good price, I'm going to buy one. But I don't know when I'll have a time for making PCB, also have a lot of unfinished stuff...

Reply 417 of 486, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One Fintek F85226FG chip (seems new, cut off a reel tape) just arrived from Aliexpress 😀 Maybe during Xmass I will find some time to draw a quick&dirty test PCB for it...

Reply 418 of 486, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some Avance logic ASL 4000 ASFM music!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHrRMqYEiIw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHrRMqYEiIw

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.