VOGONS

Reply 380 of 486, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
biessea wrote:

Another time I repeat that I want to remain with my Asus a7n8x deluxe and Nvidia chipset. I cannot believe there isn't a method to make a pci audio card working in dos environment.

I have no words.

No words? Just repeat after Linus Torvalds... 🤣

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 381 of 486, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
biessea wrote:

Another time I repeat that I want to remain with my Asus a7n8x deluxe and Nvidia chipset. I cannot believe there isn't a method to make a pci audio card working in dos environment.

Another time we repeat, that you cannot remain with Nvidia chipset and have pci audio card working in dos environment. There's no way around it, and even if you would refuse to believe this simple fact, it won't change...

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 382 of 486, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
biessea wrote:

I have no words.

I really hoped if there were a way that's really chipset-independent, but the answer turned out to be a big NO.

From the looks of it, nVidia never bothered with legacy compatibility in the first place. I recall reading an old post here about someone got his broken motherboard replaced with another one that used nForce series chipset, and he couldn't get audio working under DOS anymore despite the rest of the system were still the same.

Kamerat wrote:

Not sure in which aspect might nForce chipsets perform better than others... but nVidia eventually stopped making new chipsets anyway.

Reply 383 of 486, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I have to retire about that, I understand.

Maybe on day I can do this, but not now, I want to stay in this beautiful nforce2 chipset with my beautiful Asus system (switched from the great Abit nf7 1.2 motherboard only to olay with gameport).

Now I have just bought here an Aureal Vortex 2, for only 5 euros, probably for nothing... My last deal was for this card, but you are telling me I have no experances.

IMG-20190831-093654.jpg

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 384 of 486, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am telling you that you will get near 100% compatible SB emulation in Windows 9x MS-DOS windows and nothing in pure MS-DOS.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 385 of 486, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

I am telling you that you will get near 100% compatible SB emulation in Windows 9x MS-DOS windows and nothing in pure MS-DOS.

I was thinking about sending this... but does Windows 9x really contain some internal quirks that allowed legacy DOS audio to function under MS-DOS windows, even if the chipset doesn't meet the criteria for supporting legacy DOS audio in real-mode (such as when using a nForce series or ICH6+ chipset).

Not sure how DOSBox has improved since the day I started this thread (quite a few years have passed since then)... the reason why I was reluctant to use DOSBox at that time was mainly because the emulation were far from perfect back then, and some games could not be played at full speed even with an adequate processor at that time, either due to CPU constraint, or due to issues with emulation itself.

I'm still looking at the progress made by DOSBox-X, as it focused on accuracy, which could hopefully bring an experience almost equal to playing it under real DOS using correct hardware.

Reply 387 of 486, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
canthearu wrote:

It is never a waste spending $5 on a vortex 2.

It won't be any good for MS-DOS gaming on an nForce based board, but the vertex 2 is still a very good sound card.

Ok so I will use one day for a audio card in a Windows based gaming PC.

Thanks, perhaps I will build a very old PC for DOS cause a friend gave me last week an old PC that was supposed to have about 15 years, but when I opened it I found some interesting things, take a look:

disassembly.jpg

mainboard.jpg

So this computer have a nice SoundBlaster AWE64 ISA, a Vodoo Banshee PCI, a Pentium 200mhz and a Samsung hard disk 1,6GB without broken clusters.

I can say if I find a AT power supply I can begin my work and install Windows 98 with its magnificent DOS 7.

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 388 of 486, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is a great setup for a Windows 95 system to play Mid/Late DOS and Early 3D games on.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 389 of 486, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, that is a great set of hardware biessea.

Now, you can get an ATX to AT converter cable from ebay. These I find work perfectly well with decent quality low endish ATX PSUs, especially if you can find something a little older than current designs. There is a lot of handwaving about the lack of 3.3V load and potential crossloading from running an AT PSU load on an ATX power supply, but I have found these fears largely unfounded, with it always just typically working.

Reply 390 of 486, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After long time my demos a shareware etc.. games package for Dos sound testing is online in Vogons Library:
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1572

~2/3 of games (110) from my testing sheet is inside, list of demos is in:
https://docs.zoho.com/sheet/published.do?rid= … 04bf92a9209e034 // first list columns B+C

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 391 of 486, by mikedebian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everybody!

Sorry, I don't post here often, if at all.

I have a few legacy PCI devices, and not wanting to "downgrade" my main computer, I got a hold of the BIOSTAR X470GTA motherboard which supports the newest Ryzen CPUs.
It has two PCI slots for legacy devices and I thought, why not. Ordered an Cobra YMF744L II sound card, plugged it in and tested it.

It worked under Linux, no problem. Gets detected properly and plays back mostly fine under ALSA/Pulseaudio.

Now, I tried FreeDOS and MSDOS.

First, it would not find the card under FreeDOS, so I had to resort back to MSDOS. Upon testing it in MSDOS, it found it but it was unable to use the IRQ provided and could not find the base address of the Sound Blaster emulation.
I then changed the PCI slot and tried back and forth between MSDOS and FreeDOS. I then got a base address of 0x220 and an IRQ of 5, however, no DMA.
However, using the SetupDS program, I was able to get sound under MSDOS and FreeDOS using the "Native sound output" option under "Test sound". This tells me that my computer is able to at least talk to the sound card and send information back and forth.
No Sound Blaster emulation and lack of FM synth though (Error code 5). I think my CPU speed might have a factor here.

I tried the DSDMA driver as Kamerat has pointed out,but the system would instantly restart the system. I even tried hex editing the SetupDS file to add support for my LPC bridge (not knowing exactly what I'm doing), but that would error out SetupDS. I also tried following steps to set the IRQ using the "YMIRQ 5 EDGE", and while it would say that it FOUND the sound card, it gave an error at the end.

So, I'm not recommending anybody try and get this board for legacy audio under DOS, but it so happened to be that I got it for other legacy PCI devices that I have.

I've attached a log of "lspci" under Linux

Filename
tess.txt
File size
108.04 KiB
Downloads
66 downloads
File comment
LSPCI Log
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

. I would like to try this card out with Windows 98, but Windows 98 is no bueno on my AMD Vega 56 card. Perhaps I should get a Voodoo 3 PCI card.

Well, if Kamerat or anybody else want to take a look, that'd be great, fun and informative 😀

Here's an album of most of the BIOS/UEFI functions!

https://postimg.cc/gallery/irpdgdj6/

Reply 392 of 486, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@mikedebian: The X470 lacks support for subtractive decoding so you can't use legacy/ISA addresses over the PCI bus. This is perhaps the only way to get any Sound Blaster emulation working under DOS on your, but you also might running into issues with IRQ handling.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 394 of 486, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you would be able install Windows 98 on it, pleas report it anyway.. Windows 98 sound wouldn't after that probably problem, because there is no need of legacy stuff its working at least on X99 even with PCI-e to PCI adapter and on Z170 too.
Regarding of PCI VGA, has bios primary videocard card selection (PCI-E / PCI switch)?

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 395 of 486, by mikedebian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ruthan wrote:

If you would be able install Windows 98 on it, pleas report it anyway.. Windows 98 sound wouldn't after that probably problem, because there is no need of legacy stuff its working at least on X99 even with PCI-e to PCI adapter and on Z170 too.
Regarding of PCI VGA, has bios primary videocard card selection (PCI-E / PCI switch)?

I'm having a hard time getting my mouse to work in Windows 98. I know how to get around with the keyboard, no problem, but even if the mouse just touches a little, it goes crazy all over the screen and presses buttons randomly. I think it's the USB driver or some thing. I don't have a PS/2 mouse compatible port (only keyboard)

Reply 396 of 486, by mikedebian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ruthan wrote:

Windows 98 does not pick up the card at all. Not even the SB16PCI

Reply 397 of 486, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mikedebian wrote:

I'm having a hard time getting my mouse to work in Windows 98. I know how to get around with the keyboard, no problem, but even if the mouse just touches a little, it goes crazy all over the screen and presses buttons randomly. I think it's the USB driver or some thing. I don't have a PS/2 mouse compatible port (only keyboard)

You can try if you MB will work with PS/2 Y cable, some MBs working with it some dont and some of them have Bios option for it. Problem problem with USB, are typical, its some not good enough USB legacy mode.

Reply 398 of 486, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mikedebian wrote:

Is slot working with other devices? If not what about unknow devices and not working device etc.. there could be some IRQ problem, not recognized device etc problem. As far i know people had problem even install Windows 98 on such MBs.. so you have to try, if it would work with native drivers or not. These modern MBs has some modern ACPI table (i thing that there is also more devices that is excepted by old OS), even with XP, there is problem that lots of things is not working without custom bioses etc.

Reply 399 of 486, by mikedebian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ruthan wrote:
mikedebian wrote:

Is slot working with other devices? If not what about unknow devices and not working device etc.. there could be some IRQ problem, not recognized device etc problem. As far i know people had problem even install Windows 98 on such MBs.. so you have to try, if it would work with native drivers or not. These modern MBs has some modern ACPI table (i thing that there is also more devices that is excepted by old OS), even with XP, there is problem that lots of things is not working without custom bioses etc.

Slots are working with other devices. One slot gives IRQ 10, the other gives IRQ 5. I've tried to disable everything I can in BIOS/UEFI. No dice. I've disabled anything and everything ACPI related too. It did install and pick up my ESI JULI@ PCI soundcard, but blue screened once it tried to reboot/boot.

So yes, it might be a conflict, but it seems like I can't do much about it. I can't move the IRQs either, or reserve.

The sound cards work great under Linux. I've tried now with YMF744, SB16PCI (Ensoniq) and ESI JULI@ (which is my main card)