VOGONS

Reply 100 of 590, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Out of curiosity, it's been mentioned in this thread already, but is this replica "The Entertainer" compatible (with a jumper setting or something)? That would be a very cool (and probably easy) modification.
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showt … xposed&p=308858

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 101 of 590, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's probably not worth the effort. Both Entertainer-supporting software titles - Gunship and Pirates! - can be easily patched to support the SSI-2001 replica, per the instructions that NewRisingSun provided in the linked thread.

Reply 102 of 590, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

if you are interested on posting this on AmiBay go ahead, I'll activate/approve your account/posts manually and you won't have to make a bunch of hem to bypass the forum's spam protection 😀

That's a shame but here in Russia I didn't hear anything about AmiBay. 😊

PeterLI wrote:

BTW: Vintage Computer Forum / DOSForum.de / CPU World / Classic-Computing.org / Quest Studios may also have people who could be interested. Good luck! 😀

Same about some of the links above. And I'm not registered on any of them.
I have to spend some time and look closely at them.

Searching for bracket...
1017883.jpg 1017882.jpg
Feels pretty much like standard layout.

And new revision is ready!
1017884.jpg

New BIG soundcard: FMonster.
Covox Sound Master replica
Innovation SSI-2001 replica & DuoSID.
My audio/video collection.

Reply 103 of 590, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Fagear wrote:
And new revision is ready! http://fotkidepo.ru/photo/229919/51603ZsCMjnrvd0/1017884.jpg […]
Show full quote

And new revision is ready!
1017884.jpg

Excellent work!!! And a blue PCB would look great!!

Reply 105 of 590, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stojke wrote:

What is the Line IN for?

It is connected through a capacitor to "EXT IN" of the SID. As it is in C64:
1017920.jpg

As I remember this signal not only mixed with generated sound, but also it can be passed through the filter and volume control of the SID.
So, can be used for something. If nothing is connected to Line-in it shorts input to ground.

Reply 106 of 590, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh i see, awesome feature 😀
So far this looks really cool and amazing.

What SID chip is the best? I read something about 6581 R4.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 107 of 590, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depends on your personal taste.

6581 is more rough, while the 8580 is better for smooth electronic tracks.
Considering the SSI was made for a 6581, I'd go with that one or a SwinSID which is an arduino based replacement (not perfect but quite good).

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 108 of 590, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see. What is the typical price of a SID chip?

Also, if i install sockets for Capacitors, i can always swap between 6581 and 8580.

Reply 109 of 590, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found MIDI files with soundtrack for my most favorite game on Sega MD2 - Top Gear 2. That's where my nickname comes from, BTW. 🤣
There were hours, days, years of gaming... Sometimes in from of b&w TV. Yep.
Couldn't resist and tried them on replica:
Top Gear 2 - Ayers Rock (3rd track) (recording from MD2 emulator)
Top Gear 2 - Auckland (4th track) (recording from MD2 emulator)

And also soundtrack for Desert Strike:
Desert Strike - Main theme (recording from MD2 emulator)

Reply 110 of 590, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And yet another revision...
1018182.jpg

Shortened output trace length, turned audio out header to free some space for right angle connector.

And, after suggestion on phantom.sannata.ru added another header with ground, +5V and +9/+12V power lines.
We'll have one spare hole in bracket, audio output header... Daughterboard anyone? 😉

For example, humble power amplifier?
1018184.jpg 1018185.jpg

Reply 113 of 590, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlostex wrote:

Hum, isn't adding all this stuff just make the replica more expensive?

Well, I'm doing it for fun. I think I will not order that daughter board, it was just an example. I just want to leave something more to community, so everyone can make his own daughter board (converter to SPDIF?..)
Some more holes on the board will not make any difference for PCB manufacturer. And PCB area stays the same.
One thing can make a difference - color. Default green color is the cheapest, if any other color is selected - PCB will get more expensive.

Reply 114 of 590, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Fagear wrote:

Well, I'm doing it for fun. I think I will not order that daughter board, it was just an example. I just want to leave something more to community, so everyone can make his own daughter board (converter to SPDIF?..)
Some more holes on the board will not make any difference for PCB manufacturer. And PCB area stays the same.
One thing can make a difference - color. Default green color is the cheapest, if any other color is selected - PCB will get more expensive.

Fair enough, you need to get some fun after all the amazing work you have done. 😀

You'd be the perfect enginner for this project too, only if we could get a card....

Reply 116 of 590, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1. Regarding the RCA vs 3.5mm output :
I personally would have preferred the original type of output, or both. But it's not that important. And with the optional daughterboard it's good.

2. Concern about the Line IN port (to input and process audio through the SID chip) :
Wouldn't that feature add overall noise on the card output, even when not in use?

2. About PCB color :
Anything, including green, is fine for me, but I admit different colors makes sound cards really stand out.

That said, I would be interested in ordering a full card (assembled PCB and parts, with bracket, without SID).
Cheers!

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 117 of 590, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also prefer the green PCB because all the other components and naked contacts stand out and make it look cool 😀
But blue is fine too.

If this card has only one channel, i think the RCA connector is a much better idea.
Also, wouldn't it be better to make an additional bracket with LINE IN and AMP OUT (that can be disabled) that connects to the main card instead of adding all onto it? Since it is extra and stuff after all.

Reply 118 of 590, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Beegle wrote:

1. Regarding the RCA vs 3.5mm output :
I personally would have preferred the original type of output, or both. But it's not that important. And with the optional daughterboard it's good.

Well, with RCA I have a problem with custom bracket. So that's why PCB was rerouted for 3.5mm sockets.

Beegle wrote:

2. Concern about the Line IN port (to input and process audio through the SID chip) :
Wouldn't that feature add overall noise on the card output, even when not in use?

Nope. When nothing is connected to line-in connector it will short input to ground (I'm using internal switching capability of connector). So it becomes the same scheme as it was with RCA output (EXT IN of the SID through 100n capacitor connected to ground).

Beegle wrote:

That said, I would be interested in ordering a full card (assembled PCB and parts, with bracket, without SID).
Cheers!

Didn't understand. "PCB + parts + bracket" or "Assembled PCB + bracket"? 😕

Stojke wrote:

If this card has only one channel, i think the RCA connector is a much better idea.

And so we will get problem with bracket again.

Stojke wrote:

Also, wouldn't it be better to make an additional bracket with LINE IN and AMP OUT (that can be disabled) that connects to the main card instead of adding all onto it? Since it is extra and stuff after all.

What's the problem with Line-In and Amp out if you get "PCB + parts" kit? Just don't solder in unused parts. In cost of parts its nothing (one 3.5mm socket and one 4-pin header). Amp out is available if there will be a daughter board which I will not be manufacturing. So... What's the point?

In the mean time I've found some old but unused soviet ICs and some of them are compatible with the replica.
Most are 155 series (same as 74 series), some 531 series (74S), some 555 series (74LS) and a little more modern 1533 series (74ALS).
As it called in english "NOS" (new old stock).

I've tried all of them in the replica and all of them work well! No excessive heat or glitches.
1018282.jpg

Some of them for example from different manufacturers (sorted by date: 1977...1992):
1018283.jpg

Maybe we can use them for kits?
1018284.jpg

Does anyone disagree? 😉

And also I've tested joystick port: everything works fine. Buttons ok, axises ok, sensitivity jumper ok. 😎
1018292.jpg 1018293.jpg