VOGONS

PCMCIA Sound Cards

Topic actions

Reply 240 of 567, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I could use one of those PCMCIA sound cards and a better external CD-ROM drive, like the Panasonic KXL-D745 since my Toshiba T4800CT doesn't have FM integrated and the 24x PCMCIA CD-ROM drive I have causes my laptop to freeze at the PCMCIA driver initialization for the slots. I might as well look locally for one and see if they have one CIB for a good price and everything in there, I would be happy. Or a double-speed CD-ROM drive and an ES688 PCMCIA sound card would be better.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 242 of 567, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vorob wrote on 2020-08-29, 10:22:

After all these years is there a way to make Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook work in DOS?

There is nothing new after all these years - it's all about drivers for it. Someone has to write them. What about crowdfunding a DOS programmer? 😀
Given it's a Cardbus card, it has DMA, so theoretically digital sound should be possible. But it's lacking an FM chip, but it can be emulated, i guess.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 243 of 567, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bondi wrote on 2020-08-29, 13:46:

What about crowdfunding a DOS programmer? 😀

Would be great if someone could lead this! I'd totally donate a hundred of bucks 😀

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 244 of 567, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bondi wrote on 2020-08-29, 13:46:
vorob wrote on 2020-08-29, 10:22:

After all these years is there a way to make Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook work in DOS?

There is nothing new after all these years - it's all about drivers for it. Someone has to write them. What about crowdfunding a DOS programmer? 😀
Given it's a Cardbus card, it has DMA, so theoretically digital sound should be possible. But it's lacking an FM chip, but it can be emulated, i guess.

I'm almost sure that the standard DOS drivers for the Live/Audigy series should work.... may just need to replace the hardware ID in the driver to get it to detect it.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 245 of 567, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The more I think the less it makes sense to me. All laptops with Cardbus have some kind os sound chip. Those up to P3 have SB/Adlib compatibility. The later ones run W2k and XP and can use VDMSound, let alone that these are not really optimal for DOS.
Audigy 2 ZS Notebook is a great sound card. I use mine for bit accurate digital output to my home stereo system and for listening to the music through headphones. It's far superior to built in sound and has many other functions like EAX that is great for games. But not in DOS.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 246 of 567, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-07-27, 23:12:

Only the CD drive itself has arrived. Still waiting on the other parts to get here from Canada... Yay for slow shipping.

In the meanwhile I found a copy of Sony Soundbox for myself and received it already. I'm glad to report that it's indeed working with Altec drivers.
The installation did not go through due to the card ID check. But installing the drivers manually, i.e. adding a string to config.sys and autoexec.bat (according to the link to toshiba website above, amending the names to "altec" where necessary) did the trick. SB emulatoin is activated by loading dsmaster.exe file. Overall all worked easily without any issues.

IMG_2457.JPG
Filename
IMG_2457.JPG
File size
1.39 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

In Wolf3d both digital and FM work fine, and sound pretty clean. In Doon there is only music, as expected. FM emulation quality is acceptable, will do some recordings later. The built-in speaker also works, but I'd prefer that it was louder. As for the joystick, I haven't tested it yet.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 247 of 567, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh cool! I received mine a while ago but haven't had the chance to mess with it yet.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 248 of 567, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bondi wrote on 2020-08-30, 09:37:

Audigy 2 ZS Notebook is a great sound card. I use mine for bit accurate digital output to my home stereo system and for listening to the music through headphones. It's far superior to built in sound and has many other functions like EAX that is great for games. But not in DOS.

Okay, is there any good way to launch it under Win 98 and have EAX there?

Reply 249 of 567, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bondi wrote on 2020-07-05, 05:56:
Speaking of PCMCIA CD-ROM drives with built-in sound - IBM had two models with ESS1688 sound chip. 8X-20X PCMCIA Stereo CD-ROM D […]
Show full quote

Speaking of PCMCIA CD-ROM drives with built-in sound - IBM had two models with ESS1688 sound chip.
8X-20X PCMCIA Stereo CD-ROM Drive 1969011
4X PCMCIA Stereo CD-ROM Drive 1969009
They support 16-bit stereo audio for SoundBlaster-compatible applications, FM music synthesizer and a joystick/MIDI port in Windows 95. Sound is not supported in a DOS application within Windows 95.
http://ps-2.kev009.com/pcpartnerinfo/ctstips/47a6.htm

Does the 4x use the ES1688 as well? Looking at one on eBay that's just the drive and cable only and no PCMCIA card with it, but another listing has the PCMCIA card and both at a good price. Not posting the links as they are active auctions.

Reply 250 of 567, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-09-04, 06:01:

Does the 4x use the ES1688 as well? Looking at one on eBay that's just the drive and cable only and no PCMCIA card with it, but another listing has the PCMCIA card and both at a good price. Not posting the links as they are active auctions.

I think yes. The one that has "Stereo" in the name.
This is what i read here http://ps-2.kev009.com/pcpartnerinfo/ctstips/bf8a.htm
"External PCMCIA 4X Stereo CD-ROM Drive (stereo model):
The stereo model is a portable CD-ROM drive that includes a sound adapter and speakers."

EDIT: And another link
https://www.infania.net/misc/pcpartnerinfo/ctstips/e21a.html
"Additional features - With 16-bit stereo audio support for SoundBlaster-compatible applications, FM music synthesizer and a joystick/MIDI port, the PCMCIA stereo CD-ROM Drive is perfect for playing games or even composing music."

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 251 of 567, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting. I'm guessing the joystick port only works in Windows or would it work in DOS?

Reply 253 of 567, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is the recording of FM synth on DSP Solutions/Sony sound box.

Filename
E1M1DSP.mp3
File size
2.52 MiB
Downloads
55 downloads
File comment
Obligatory E1M1
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The CD part unfortunately did not work (in DOS). None of the drivers work, neither the one that comes with Altec, nor the PRD150.sys that comes in the W95 driver pack. Maybe cyclone3d will be more lucky with this.

IMG_2492.JPG
Filename
IMG_2492.JPG
File size
1.21 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Also forgot to mention that I had to change HwSigAahh parameter to 0100 in altec.ini file to make the card work.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 254 of 567, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this card recently.

IMG_2494.JPG
Filename
IMG_2494.JPG
File size
1.16 MiB
Views
File comment
Rex-5571
File license
Public domain

The drivers for DOS are nowhere to be found online. Only W95. Does anyone happen to have them? I'b be very grateful!

Also does anyone know whether MIDI (MPU-401) port on this card works in DOS? The manual mentions this switch:
/ Index22
This is the specification when using MIDI. If you specify this, you cannot specify "/ AdLib" or "/ Adjoy".

But you never know if it works in pure DOS or intended for W311.

Last edited by Bondi on 2020-09-10, 08:27. Edited 1 time in total.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 255 of 567, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bondi wrote on 2020-09-08, 15:40:
Here is the recording of FM synth on DSP Solutions/Sony sound box. E1M1DSP.mp3 The CD part unfortunately did not work (in DOS). […]
Show full quote

Here is the recording of FM synth on DSP Solutions/Sony sound box.
E1M1DSP.mp3
The CD part unfortunately did not work (in DOS). None of the drivers work, neither the one that comes with Altec, nor the PRD150.sys that comes in the W95 driver pack. Maybe cyclone3d will be more lucky with this.
IMG_2492.JPG
Also forgot to mention that I had to change HwSigAahh parameter to 0100 in altec.ini file to make the card work.

Look at the readme for the PRD-155 driver set. Looks like another driver may need to be loaded first?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 256 of 567, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps the PCMCIA TSR drivers? My Toshiba T4800CT does the same thing with my PCMCIA 24x CD-ROM drive with the PCMCIA TSR drivers loaded after the CD-ROM drivers.

Reply 257 of 567, by MAZter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bondi wrote on 2020-09-10, 07:56:

from manual:

<< Restrictions >>

-When operating a game for MS-DOS in DOS mode of Windows 95, the card does not operate normally.

The REX-5571/9871/4871 series has the following two models.

■ REX-5571/9871/4871
Floppy for models compatible with DOS/Windows 3.1 and Windows 95, Windows NT 4.0
Will attach 3 sheets.
・Windows 95, Windows NT4.0 compatible software floppy (this floppy)
・Windows 95/NT compatible audio application floppy
・Software floppy for DOS/Windows 3.1

■ REX-5571W/9871W/4871W
For Windows 95, Windows NT4.0 model, 2 floppies are attached.
From the previous REX-5571/9871/4871 driver audio driver for DOS/Windows 3.1
Except for the manual and manual.

So probably your model is only for W95 🙁

Doom is what you want (c) MAZter

Reply 258 of 567, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MAZter wrote on 2020-09-10, 16:30:
from manual: << Restrictions >> -When operating a game for MS-DOS in DOS mode of Windows 95, the card does not operate normall […]
Show full quote
Bondi wrote on 2020-09-10, 07:56:

from manual:

<< Restrictions >>

-When operating a game for MS-DOS in DOS mode of Windows 95, the card does not operate normally.

The REX-5571/9871/4871 series has the following two models.

■ REX-5571/9871/4871
Floppy for models compatible with DOS/Windows 3.1 and Windows 95, Windows NT 4.0
Will attach 3 sheets.
・Software floppy for DOS/Windows 3.1

■ REX-5571W/9871W/4871W
For Windows 95, Windows NT4.0 model, 2 floppies are attached.
From the previous REX-5571/9871/4871 driver audio driver for DOS/Windows 3.1
Except for the manual and manual.

So probably your model is only for W95 🙁

As I understood the 5571W model just does not include DOS drivers. Hardware-wise it should be the same card.
MIDI indeed is not supposed to work in W95 DOS session. But what about pure DOS? It's not quite clear from the manual.
Let alone that that there are no DOS drivers around. Maybe drivers for 5572 will fit? I have to try it.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 259 of 567, by pool7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The first post of this thread mentions 5571 = 5570 + joystick port. There's also mentions that 5571 = 4871/9871. Have you tried the drivers for these?
Also, found a link that may be of interest hopefully: http://www.win3x.org/win3board/viewtopic.php? … tyle=30&t=19261
Good luck! 😀

PS: For reference, the japanese manual (couldn't find an english one) for the 5571 mentions the following files in its DOS section; however I couldn't find anything else about these:
REX5571.SYS
REX71DBK.SYS
REX71365.SYS
REX9871.SYS
REX4871.SYS