VOGONS

First post, by dank0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I found out that the Roland company released Sound Canvas for iOS:
https://itunes.apple.com/app/sound-canvas-for … &uo=8&at=10lPzZ

roland-sound-canvas.jpeg?resize=640%2C360

I don't have newest iOS device (Iphone5 up or newer Ipad) I have only iPad 2 with iRig Midi port. But if I'm not mistaken, you should be able to connect your iPad to original MPU 401 card on your DOS machine or any midi interface in your DOSBOX config and use this App as a original SCC. For someone who already own any Apple device this can be easier and longer lasting solution to play original Roland tunes 😉 I would love to hear from someone if that works, because this solution will push me to buy newer iPad and be more comfortable that my old Hardware will not die on me one day (I'm not DOSBOX fan, I prefer the old HW)

excuse my english..

AMD K6-II 500, Nvidia TNT2 AGP, 256 MB RAM

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
•• WANTED: ROLAND SCP-55 ••

Reply 1 of 56, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Only issue us that a real Sound Canvas is cheaper than an iPad...

But something else you can do, which is along the same lines, is use a spare notebook or desktop with a USB MIDI interface, MUNT and BASSMIDI and build a MIDI box.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 56, by dank0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep, but those are community open source efforts that are not exact sounding as a original, I believe that Roland will not release something that is not sounding identical like original HW (I can be wrong)

Reply 3 of 56, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Neat, now I really need to try and hook things up...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 56, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dank0 wrote:

Yep, but those are community open source efforts that are not exact sounding as a original, I believe that Roland will not release something that is not sounding identical like original HW (I can be wrong)

Yes. The thing I see sound fonts for is for getting a sound that is beyond Sound Canvas. You know something a bit different, maybe even better depending on taste.

We could all contact Roland and ask for a modern Windows compatible version. It shouldn't be hard for them.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 56, by dank0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I will prefer more MT-32 😉 (I know that is working pretty nice with original ROM's in the DOSBOX). I do have Yamaha MU external module,but I have to say that i'm using it only to play midi songs from the XG-central. There is only few games that supports the XG cards 🙁

Reply 7 of 56, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ thanks for the xg-central tip, never knew the site existed!!! we should really have all these special sites in a thread or something, it's very hard to get quality midis

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 56, by dank0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah I really love song here http://www.xg-central.com/composer_sascha-henken.php - "The lost words" they have there also mp3 preview. I have connected my old pc to decent audio (and decent means $xxxxx) and it is amazing to listen this song on HW that is almost 30 years old and it sounds so good 😉

Reply 9 of 56, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was gifted an iPad mini 3 and installed some retro goodness:
Ports: Shadow Warrior (Lo Wang), Wolfenstein 3D, Carmageddon, Tyrian
Emulators: iDOS (DosBox) and a GBA+SNES emulator, but the iPad controls usually ruin the gameplay.

Now getting midi files to play on this device is kinda dissappointing. I bought a 1 euro app (Musk player) which unfortunately did not sound good, so I cancelled that. It seems all good players like Roland or Sweet Midi are Euro 15,-! There is also a Soundfont based midi player for Euro 2,- but I am not sure if it will hold up.
Seems we have to pay for the same thing we have been doing for 20 years already, and can freely be obtained for Windows or Linux.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 10 of 56, by dank0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I want to try exactly this:
AMPIKM0010_mainv3_MW_1.jpg

connect iPad/iPhone through midi interface to MPU-401 in my old DOs machine. I know that roland app cost $15 but if you already own the device, it is no brainer to have real SCC for that amount of money. I have iRig midi interface for my older iPad 2 and using it to drive some old instruments. But the Roland app is just for a new HW and that means i need new iPad and because new iPads had new connectors i need to buy also new iRig.. That is why I'm asking here if someone already have that, it will be good test to compare the original SCC with this new Roland app and if is identical, there is no point to want old HW.

Reply 11 of 56, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sure you can ask, but I only ever used a netbook as a Synth with USB-Midi cable, like Phil mentioned.
For Windows there is Roland Virtual Sound Canvas VST. Though I prefer Fluidsynth or Timidity with a 1990's GM soundfont.
The iPad Mini 3 has just two connectors 🙁, that single Lightning port and a headphones jackplug. No normal USB port or SD Card slot. Still nice to see someone offers a Midi adapter for iPad.

Reply 12 of 56, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pretty neat. I'm tempted to try this. I already have a UM-1, so I assume I'd just use the USB->Lightning adaptor to hook it up, then pass MIDI from DOSBox to it. Interesting...

If someone tries this, I'd love to see a YouTube video of it in action.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 13 of 56, by dank0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just for example here is my setup - iPad connected to Midi through on my MT-32. It gets Midi messages no issue.

ipad_midi.jpg
Filename
ipad_midi.jpg
File size
163.32 KiB
Views
File comment
iPad midi connection to MT-32
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 14 of 56, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an iPad air and the Roland app, but I don't have a midi interface face yet. I hope to get the iRig midi 2 soon in order to test this out.

I noticed something interesting in the app. You can choose as preset startup maps SC-8820, SC-88Pro, SC-88, and SC-55 built in maps. Additionally, you can choose from built in CM-64 maps (both CM-32L and CM-32P sound sets sets) for the 16 parts. I don't believe the app emulates a CM-64, but I do think it might have the same type of MT-32 approximated sound set like the hardware SC-55's.

Reply 15 of 56, by dank0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, Interesting. I will be really interested to know if the results are identical to SCC, If yes I will sell my SCC-1. It will make sense to have real sound banks from the old cards. The iPad is really strong HW so it can emulate all features - delay, chorus, reverb... Yeah that will be awesome. Roland should also release MT-32 app and after you can just have clean MPU 401 interface with Yamaha daughterboard and iPad connected and you only switch app for specific game. Also someone should make Ultrasound patch player and you are set 😀

Reply 16 of 56, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yesterday I bought Sweet Midi Player for iPad (full version) for E 15,-. It sounds pretty good using my favorite Voice Crystal soundfont. I chose it above the Roland VSC because it can switch SoundFont (DLS/SF2), and because it obviously can handle a collection of midi files using playlists. Sweet Midi can also serve as dedicated synthesizer using an external midi source through "Core Midi" and an adapter like "iRig", though I don't have any such plans now myself. It uses a software synthesizer engine licensed from bismark.jp. That company sells another iPad sampler called bs-16i. I suppose that justifies the price like 5,- for the Dev / 5,- for Apple / 5,- for bismark.jp?

Reply 18 of 56, by dank0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cool, do you have original Sound Canvas card? Just for the comparison. If not, could you please record two tracks? DOOM2 level 1 track and Gabriel Knight (first one) Music from the menu screen?