VOGONS

Reply 41 of 56, by ravippe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I heard there is a way to emulate gravis ultrasound. I tried to use this with idos 2 and selected general midi in the game space quest 3. I dont get music with idos 2. Is there any way at all any better sound can be had with an ipad and idos 2

Reply 42 of 56, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

There is no midi on iOS (coreaudio does not work for some reason) and Munt is not integrated. For gus you need to test things and make sire you select gus...
Way to hijack a thread ;(

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 43 of 56, by notindeed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do Roland seriously not make a VST? I thought cakewalk was some or something?

So from what i understand, a VST is just a selection of instruments - like a GM synth rom.
Then the VST Host is basically what controls the VST and allows you to chain effects and manipulate the VST and record from it?

VSTs are like the evolution of GM with more features and things, right?
Yet you can use a VST in a VST host for GM / GS playback from games.

So surely there must be a good VST for GM playback that is well balanced, made by Roland or otherwise?

That's the problem i find with soundfonts - the soundfont playback can be flakey too, with missing notes or distorted pitches but also the soundfont sets themselves are always really really imbalanced and so sound quite bad on a lot of sounds due to the volume mixing of various instruments. You can get really nice samples but it's all mixed horribly so it sounds bad.

Of course, if you are composing you just change the volumes in your piece but obviously for games you don't have that luxury.

So yer, i would have guessed that Roland have a kind of standardised mix level for their synths. I wish soundfonts would try and emulate this.

Have they not released a software version of the instrument set for the SD-50 or something? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Tf2bxK92tI
(What instrument set does it even use? I saw on wikipedia that it was from the 8820 / 8850 which seems rather old or are they seen as "good enough" to use across all their products now?)

I guess you'd have to be in the music production industry to really know these things.

But there surely must be a GOOD software solution for well balanced super high quality GM / GS playback, surely. I'm guessing it would be in the VST field since that is where the music industry seems to be as far as i can tell. So i guess for really high quality playback, that's where we should be looking - as long as it's balanced it will be just like SC-55 but with better samples.

Unfortunately i'm kind of ignorant of all this VST business so if someone could educate me it would be cool. Maybe i should find some music forum to ask, but then i dont even know where to start or even any such communities that would understand what i was on about 🤣

Reply 44 of 56, by ravippe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay so I have a question about roland sound Canvas for ios its 19.99 on the app store and it acts like those old boxes you used to use for Midi to play great games like Sierra or any other with MT 32 sound. Unfortunately those boxes are getting pretty out of date and hard to find not to mention that they fail because of their age

Let's say I run I DOS 2 with MT – 32 emulation game and run it through my lightning port in my iPad to an Irig midi 2 device output or through a lightning to usb adaptor.

So option one
Ipad with lightnight to usb. With usb to midi cable purchased seperately.
Iphone with i rig midi 2
Plug in the usb end to the ipad. Plug the midi out cable to the input on the iphone.

Load sound canvas and turn on volume on iphone or pair it with a speaker.

Grab ipad play The game while the sound is coming out from your iPhone

Option two

Ipad with lightnight to usb. With usb to usb cable.
Iphone Lightning to USB
Plug in the usb end to the ipad. Plug the usb other end cable to the input on the iphone.

Load sound canvas and turn on volume on iphone or pair it with a speaker.

Grab ipad play The game while the sound is coming out from your iPhone

With this option would it even work? I have seen people hook up their keyboards pianos with those lightning to USB adapters and it seems to work fine

Here is a YouTube video of someone showing how to hook up an iPad using older DOS pad with one of those USB adapters and it seems to work all I'm doing is changing the Roland box to an iphone with the app.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvBISiYbvyg

Reply 45 of 56, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think iDos is sending midi data anywhere: FM music works, but selecting general midi results in silence. Ask the iDos author to be sure.
See: http://forum.litchie.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1722 ( not sure what he means with that answer there... )

Also, as PeterLI already wrote: General Midi / Sound Canvas is not the same as MT-32 (LA synthesis)

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 46 of 56, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

He's saying the same as me above that midi does not work on iOS (because of CoreAudio not working correctly.
But sending the Midi data could in theory work as that utilizes CoreMidi. So that setup with the irigs could work.
It's cheaper, I think, to use the Camera Connection kit by Apple along with two usb/midi adapters (I used that to connect my iPhone to a real mt32 and playback Midi from the iOS version of Exult).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 47 of 56, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just beware, ravippe, that this app DOES NOT emulate an MT-32, but rather a Sound Canvas module, which is a different beast altogether. You might be better off going for option one, but replacing the iPhone with some cheap x86 tablet and run MUNT there.

Reply 48 of 56, by ravippe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Awsome guys thanks for your input you definately gave me alot to think about in my quest for better sound!

I think dollar for dollar a good ultrabook would be perfect with a munt emulator or scumm program is really what i should aim for. I just want everything on my ipad and sometimes i think maybe thats asking a bit much with apple.

Cheers

Reply 50 of 56, by K.A.R.R.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi

i read some people are looking for a vst version of roland sound canvas.
it already exists.
its not a vst but its a dxi version

roland tts-1 synthesizer

http://media.soundonsound.com/sos/jun05/image … classtts1.l.jpg

its based on the roland sound canvas
and its superior to the edirol vsc

the bad thing its not available as stand alone version
it comes with cakewalk music creator 5 & 6 & 7 and with sonar 4 and higher

here an articel about the tts-1
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun05/articles/sonartech.htm

There are no new effects in Sonar 4, beyond the surround-enhanced variants of existing plug-ins, but there is one new instrument. This is TTS1 (above), a multitimbral synth module based on Roland Sound Canvas technology that once again highlights Cakewalk's relationship with Roland offshoot Edirol. TTS1 is essentially a General MIDI 2-compatible module, but its arrival does beg a question: why add TTS1 when Cakewalk were already bundling the VSC Virtual Sound Canvas module with their products? The answer is fairly straightforward: TTS1 is a much more sophisticated plug-in that offers the user much more in the way of control and edibility. It's rather like a Sound Canvas Pro in its approach.
VSC's sound set is rather basic, a bare-bones Sound Canvas. The sounds for TTS1 are much more vibrant, with more multisamples, velocity layering, effects and so on. The presentation is much more slick, too, with a comprehensive 16-channel mixer as a front end. Click a button at the top of each channel, and up pops a little voice edit window; here you can select a patch, and edit it to quite a wide degree. The parameters are largely of the offset variety, but it brings the sound set more into the creative fold than might be expected.
Each standard voice offers filter cutoff and resonance controls and a 'character' parameter, plus a three-band 'tone' control. A simple three-stage envelope and vibrato section are also provided (though there's no separate envelope for filter), plus tuning, portamento and mod/pitch-bend response parameters. Individual sends to the global reverb and chorus effects are joined by level and pan controls.
The drum patches are a little differently specified. Filter cutoff and frequency, along with three-band tone control, are present, but only globally for the kit. Each drum sound in the patch has its own level, pan, tuning and reverb/chorus send parameters. How much more useful if filter settings could be altered for each voice, too. Whether you tweak normal or drum patches, your results can actually be saved, since the plug-in comes with four banks of 128 normal patches and a bank in which to save up to 128 drum sets. Nice touch. It stands to reason that all TTS1 parameters can be assigned to MIDI controllers, for remote mixing or creative automation of parameter changes.
The set is, as one would expect from a Roland-sourced sound collection, uniformly useable. There's a stereo piano that might do in nearly all circumstances if you have nothing else available, and which fits pop mixes brilliantly. Roland drums are hard to beat, and the nine sets here cover the standard, analogue and orchestral bases.

and here a test file i recorded
http://www89.zippyshare.com/v/NRAWNnwF/file.html

edit:
seems the roland tts-1 is the same synthesizer as the roland (edirol) hyper canvas
https://www.amazona.de/wp-content/uploads/2002/08/1_11.jpg

(not sure if the samples are the same, but seems they are)

Reply 52 of 56, by Delphius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just wanted to pitch in on this old thread for all those still wondering. I have been using the iOS version of the Sound Canvas with my dosbox games now for over a year and I can say that it works very well. I also own the VST plugin for this app which also works well, but I have found the iOS version to have some advantages. My main retro gaming station is a Raspberry Pi 3 with RetroPie operating system. I have found it to work great with pretty much every dos game. Using the iOS app on my iPad I am able to take a lot of load off of the host CPU so that games run and sound much better than the simulated. It does take a little extra setup, but it also gives it a very retro feel because everything has to be set up the same as if you have a hardware Sound Canvas. I also do sound and music for a living so I have a prior understanding of how all this works.

There are many different ways to connect midi to your iPad. I think the easiest way is to use an iOS app called MusicIO which uses the standard Apple USB to Lightning cable. There are two versions of this app. I found the midi the be very straight forward and usable, but the audio one takes a little extra to get working correctly. The disadvantage to using this app is that the host software is Windows and Mac only. This is perfect for most people out there, but for Linux or Raspberry Pi users this wont work as an option. Essentially this app creates a virtual midi / audio interface that connects to the iPad.

Another way of getting midi connected through the device is to take advantage of the built in CoreMidi which has RTP midi protocol built in to it. This means it will midi connect through standard wifi and bluetooth network connections. This is very easy to use since it is built in to the iOS and most modern mac operating system. Just spotlight 'Audio Midi Setup' in your mac OS, select 'Show Midi Studio' under the window menu, and open up the network options. From there you are able to connect to any device on the wifi or bluetooth network. WINDOWS USERS:If you want to use Apple compatible RTP midi, just download RTP Midi by Thobias Erichsen .http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html
This works the same as the Apple so you can connect with Windows Dosbox machine. The downside to this method is that the wireless transfer causes all type of timing problems with the midi so I do not recommend this.

Ethernet CoreMidi - With my experimenting I have that it is possible to do CoreMidi / RTP Midi to the iPad via ethernet. This is not a very well known method, nor is it stated as supported by Apple, but I have used it even for performing iOS midi instruments live on stage. To do this you need a few extra devices. This is a good method if you already have these things lying around. You will need an Apple Lightning to SD Card Reader, an Active USB 2.0 hub, and an Apple USB to Ethernet adapter. I use the Plugable Active USB 2.0 4 port hub but really any active one should work. Connecting this is pretty straight forward. Plug the SD Card Reader in to the iPad, plug the active usb hub in to the Card Reader USB (same way you would plug in to a computer to expand the USB ports), then plug the USB to Ethernet cable in to one of the ports on the USB hub. A message will usually pop up on the iPad stating that the connected device is not supported, but do not let that discourage you. You will notice that the wifi will shut off on the iPad, and ethernet network will be used when you plug it in to a router. The people at the Apple store told me that it wouldnt work, but for those of you looking to get ethernet connection on your iPad in general, know that this works. 😉 When connected to the network via Ethernet the CoreMidi and RTP Midi should connect exactly the same. I have found this method to be very very stable with the midi. The downside to this method is that there is no way to charge the iPad at the same time as this is connected. This usually isnt a problem unless your battery is low in the first place. Just turn off any wireless connections to the device and close all extra apps. The Sound Canvas app takes no energy at all with the display turned off.

Another downside to this method is that it is not Linux compatible as of yet.

So probably the most common method is going to be with a USB to Midi interface like the iRig products that have already been shown above. I personally use the iConnect Midi2+ interface to connect my midi devices. This is also a linux compatible way which is convenient if you are doing a RetroPie project. The reason why I like using the iConnect is because although it says it is a 2 port midi interface, it also creates 2 virtual midi connections directly to the iOS device from the host computer. So for simplicity, when I send the dosbox midi to the Output 3, it bypasses any midi cable or hardware link needed, and instead goes directly to the iPad Sound Canvas. It also has the hardware outputs if you do plan to expand to a hardware unit (Roland MT-32 on the way for me actually). But this give you a lot of flexibility. It also serves as two channel virtual Audio Interface that works similar to how the MusicIO app does but in more hardware form. This is my current go to setup because it is the most compatible, while also keeping that retro kind of feel to the whole thing.

The next part is figuring out how you are going to mix the iPad audio with the native computer audio for speech and sfx. There are many different options here as well. Using the MusicIO iOS would be the cheapest ways, but I have also found this to come with a little extra configuration to get the audio to loopback through your host computer. Even when I had this working, I found that the sound either had extra delay, or would also have artifacts and stuttering that would happen. I was using the earlier versions of this app while testing it, so it may have improved a lot, but I decided that going hardware was the best way. However, I do this type of thing for a living so I had the hardware already available. It also stays true to the original if you were actually plugging in a real Sound Canvas. The best way is to use an actual audio mixing board.

The audio mixer that I use for my RetroPie is an Behringer Q802USB. I have it as an extra utility mixer for small projects like this. It is inexpensive and has a decent quality pro-sumer sound. Really I think its perfect for this type of project. There are also several different ways in which you can use this with the USB option. For example, the USB is advertised as being iOS compatible. This means those of you who decide to use the Apple SD Card reader with an active USB hub can also plug this mixer into an extra port on the hub and take advantage of the USB Audio codec as an output on the iPad. This means no extra wires, the output of the iPad will route through the USB Mixer instead. This feature on audio devices that make it iOS compatible is called class compliant. This usually means it will also work in Linux native systems as well as they do not require any type of driver. I was excited to find out that I was able to use the USB Audio Codec on the mixer as an audio interface for my Raspberry Pi 3. The audio out of the 3.55mm of the RP3 is pretty wretched for just about everything, so the mixer USB Audio Codec is a huge upgrade. The codec in the mixer otherwise is nothing special at just a standard 16bit / 48khz, but it is good quality for something like a RetroPie or Dosbox build. I use the 3.55mm out of the iPad for all Sound Canvas music that just goes in to one of the stereo quarter inch channels or channels 3 and 4. For the RetroPie and Dosbox setup, this is perfect and sounds amazing to me. With an external mixer it is easy to get a good blend of the soundblaster audio sfx / speech and the music, or to adjust it when needed.

Extra Notes - This is what I use for my RetroPie / Dosbox retro gaming setup. But I have also used the Sound Canvas with other devices and hardware interfaces. Some may ask me at this point, why not just purchase an actual SC-88Pro at this point? Its actually because when I have done the comparisons to the iPad app, and the real thing, I tend to like the iPad app better. This is especially true when I connect the iPad using much higher quality audio converters. One in particular I like to use is the Presonus Audiobox iTwo. It has 24bit /96khz converters and I have found it to have a very very nice sound when used with the Sound Canvas. I dont think I would use it for other audio recording applications compared to other equipment I have, but it has a very musical quality to the sound when using the Sound Cavas app. The 3.5mm on the iPad is really quite decent, but I have found any external USB Audio Codec like these mentioned really do improve the sound from the iPad. For retro gaming and for simplicity I use the 3.55mm. But for those enthusiasts out there just know that there are options.

I have also found that the replication of the iOS to the original has been pretty close to identical. Not having the two to compare directly makes it difficult. From what I have heard from samples on the internet of comparisons, they sound very comparative. I do know that some midi's that I have downloaded from the internet, do not accurately playback the ctrl messages that are needed to sound correctly. The midi from the game itself always works much better and sounds very correct. All of the reverb and effects seem to work perfectly as well. I have noticed a slight difference when using the VST plugin however. The VST plugin seems to be a little more forgiving in the General Midi playback. But again I would mention certain artifacts that I heard from downloaded midi files did not happen while playing in the game (example, Quest for Glory 4 Overdrive guitar bends and such).

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I tried to keep things as detailed as possible to fill in any gaps people might be wondering.

Reply 53 of 56, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, that is a fantastic post. As someone who has an old Roland SCD-15 daughterboard, I was wondering if I could find something more modern to use with DOSBox. I bought the Roland SC app for my iPad and MusicIO but unfortunately it is no longer supported for Windows. What is the recommended way to use this with Windows 7 and DOSBox?

As a bonus, it would be awesome to get my iPad seen as a MIDI source for my DOS or Windows 98 (real) machines, if that is even possible.

Reply 54 of 56, by ryoder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My goal is to use my iPad as a cheap Sound Canvas with my Tandy 1000TL to play old Sierra games with MT32 music. I'd like to try it on the Atari ST first as it has midi out. So how can I do midi from the ST to the iPad Sound Canvas app?

Reply 55 of 56, by walterg74

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Delphius wrote:
Just wanted to pitch in on this old thread for all those still wondering. I have been using the iOS version of the Sound Canvas […]
Show full quote

Just wanted to pitch in on this old thread for all those still wondering. I have been using the iOS version of the Sound Canvas with my dosbox games now for over a year and I can say that it works very well. I also own the VST plugin for this app which also works well, but I have found the iOS version to have some advantages. My main retro gaming station is a Raspberry Pi 3 with RetroPie operating system. I have found it to work great with pretty much every dos game. Using the iOS app on my iPad I am able to take a lot of load off of the host CPU so that games run and sound much better than the simulated. It does take a little extra setup, but it also gives it a very retro feel because everything has to be set up the same as if you have a hardware Sound Canvas. I also do sound and music for a living so I have a prior understanding of how all this works.

There are many different ways to connect midi to your iPad. I think the easiest way is to use an iOS app called MusicIO which uses the standard Apple USB to Lightning cable. There are two versions of this app. I found the midi the be very straight forward and usable, but the audio one takes a little extra to get working correctly. The disadvantage to using this app is that the host software is Windows and Mac only. This is perfect for most people out there, but for Linux or Raspberry Pi users this wont work as an option. Essentially this app creates a virtual midi / audio interface that connects to the iPad.

Another way of getting midi connected through the device is to take advantage of the built in CoreMidi which has RTP midi protocol built in to it. This means it will midi connect through standard wifi and bluetooth network connections. This is very easy to use since it is built in to the iOS and most modern mac operating system. Just spotlight 'Audio Midi Setup' in your mac OS, select 'Show Midi Studio' under the window menu, and open up the network options. From there you are able to connect to any device on the wifi or bluetooth network. WINDOWS USERS:If you want to use Apple compatible RTP midi, just download RTP Midi by Thobias Erichsen .http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html
This works the same as the Apple so you can connect with Windows Dosbox machine. The downside to this method is that the wireless transfer causes all type of timing problems with the midi so I do not recommend this.

Ethernet CoreMidi - With my experimenting I have that it is possible to do CoreMidi / RTP Midi to the iPad via ethernet. This is not a very well known method, nor is it stated as supported by Apple, but I have used it even for performing iOS midi instruments live on stage. To do this you need a few extra devices. This is a good method if you already have these things lying around. You will need an Apple Lightning to SD Card Reader, an Active USB 2.0 hub, and an Apple USB to Ethernet adapter. I use the Plugable Active USB 2.0 4 port hub but really any active one should work. Connecting this is pretty straight forward. Plug the SD Card Reader in to the iPad, plug the active usb hub in to the Card Reader USB (same way you would plug in to a computer to expand the USB ports), then plug the USB to Ethernet cable in to one of the ports on the USB hub. A message will usually pop up on the iPad stating that the connected device is not supported, but do not let that discourage you. You will notice that the wifi will shut off on the iPad, and ethernet network will be used when you plug it in to a router. The people at the Apple store told me that it wouldnt work, but for those of you looking to get ethernet connection on your iPad in general, know that this works. 😉 When connected to the network via Ethernet the CoreMidi and RTP Midi should connect exactly the same. I have found this method to be very very stable with the midi. The downside to this method is that there is no way to charge the iPad at the same time as this is connected. This usually isnt a problem unless your battery is low in the first place. Just turn off any wireless connections to the device and close all extra apps. The Sound Canvas app takes no energy at all with the display turned off.

Another downside to this method is that it is not Linux compatible as of yet.

So probably the most common method is going to be with a USB to Midi interface like the iRig products that have already been shown above. I personally use the iConnect Midi2+ interface to connect my midi devices. This is also a linux compatible way which is convenient if you are doing a RetroPie project. The reason why I like using the iConnect is because although it says it is a 2 port midi interface, it also creates 2 virtual midi connections directly to the iOS device from the host computer. So for simplicity, when I send the dosbox midi to the Output 3, it bypasses any midi cable or hardware link needed, and instead goes directly to the iPad Sound Canvas. It also has the hardware outputs if you do plan to expand to a hardware unit (Roland MT-32 on the way for me actually). But this give you a lot of flexibility. It also serves as two channel virtual Audio Interface that works similar to how the MusicIO app does but in more hardware form. This is my current go to setup because it is the most compatible, while also keeping that retro kind of feel to the whole thing.

The next part is figuring out how you are going to mix the iPad audio with the native computer audio for speech and sfx. There are many different options here as well. Using the MusicIO iOS would be the cheapest ways, but I have also found this to come with a little extra configuration to get the audio to loopback through your host computer. Even when I had this working, I found that the sound either had extra delay, or would also have artifacts and stuttering that would happen. I was using the earlier versions of this app while testing it, so it may have improved a lot, but I decided that going hardware was the best way. However, I do this type of thing for a living so I had the hardware already available. It also stays true to the original if you were actually plugging in a real Sound Canvas. The best way is to use an actual audio mixing board.

The audio mixer that I use for my RetroPie is an Behringer Q802USB. I have it as an extra utility mixer for small projects like this. It is inexpensive and has a decent quality pro-sumer sound. Really I think its perfect for this type of project. There are also several different ways in which you can use this with the USB option. For example, the USB is advertised as being iOS compatible. This means those of you who decide to use the Apple SD Card reader with an active USB hub can also plug this mixer into an extra port on the hub and take advantage of the USB Audio codec as an output on the iPad. This means no extra wires, the output of the iPad will route through the USB Mixer instead. This feature on audio devices that make it iOS compatible is called class compliant. This usually means it will also work in Linux native systems as well as they do not require any type of driver. I was excited to find out that I was able to use the USB Audio Codec on the mixer as an audio interface for my Raspberry Pi 3. The audio out of the 3.55mm of the RP3 is pretty wretched for just about everything, so the mixer USB Audio Codec is a huge upgrade. The codec in the mixer otherwise is nothing special at just a standard 16bit / 48khz, but it is good quality for something like a RetroPie or Dosbox build. I use the 3.55mm out of the iPad for all Sound Canvas music that just goes in to one of the stereo quarter inch channels or channels 3 and 4. For the RetroPie and Dosbox setup, this is perfect and sounds amazing to me. With an external mixer it is easy to get a good blend of the soundblaster audio sfx / speech and the music, or to adjust it when needed.

Extra Notes - This is what I use for my RetroPie / Dosbox retro gaming setup. But I have also used the Sound Canvas with other devices and hardware interfaces. Some may ask me at this point, why not just purchase an actual SC-88Pro at this point? Its actually because when I have done the comparisons to the iPad app, and the real thing, I tend to like the iPad app better. This is especially true when I connect the iPad using much higher quality audio converters. One in particular I like to use is the Presonus Audiobox iTwo. It has 24bit /96khz converters and I have found it to have a very very nice sound when used with the Sound Canvas. I dont think I would use it for other audio recording applications compared to other equipment I have, but it has a very musical quality to the sound when using the Sound Cavas app. The 3.5mm on the iPad is really quite decent, but I have found any external USB Audio Codec like these mentioned really do improve the sound from the iPad. For retro gaming and for simplicity I use the 3.55mm. But for those enthusiasts out there just know that there are options.

I have also found that the replication of the iOS to the original has been pretty close to identical. Not having the two to compare directly makes it difficult. From what I have heard from samples on the internet of comparisons, they sound very comparative. I do know that some midi's that I have downloaded from the internet, do not accurately playback the ctrl messages that are needed to sound correctly. The midi from the game itself always works much better and sounds very correct. All of the reverb and effects seem to work perfectly as well. I have noticed a slight difference when using the VST plugin however. The VST plugin seems to be a little more forgiving in the General Midi playback. But again I would mention certain artifacts that I heard from downloaded midi files did not happen while playing in the game (example, Quest for Glory 4 Overdrive guitar bends and such).

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I tried to keep things as detailed as possible to fill in any gaps people might be wondering.

Since it was not that long ago that it had activity, I’ll just ask...

Trying to see how this works. On one hand, to connect a modern PC to a MIDI device one can use a cable like the Roland UM One or similar. That goes USB to the computer right? On the other hand, mentions on the app page and videos say you can hook up a MIDI device to the iPad with that same cable and then a “camera kit” for the iPad, which I assume has a female USB port..., or also with something like the iRig and “nirmal” MIDI cables.

Now if that’s the case, if I want to go from the PC to the iPad, why can’t we just use the same data/charde cable that already comes with the iPad? Does the other cable introduce some “intelligence”or feature required for this to work..?

Reply 56 of 56, by Tandy1000TL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you want to see a video I did covering how to get Roland Sound Canvas sounds in your games for free, check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIxQvwJO7kM&t=1s

Cakewalk is now free and includes TTS-1, which is Roland's Hyper Canvas - Not quite Sound Canvas VA but in some ways better.

Check it out.

Tandy 1000TL, 486DX4-100, IBM Aptiva K6-233, P2, P3, P4, C2D
MP32L, MT32, SC55-MKii, SC-8820, Integra-7, MotifRackES, MU80, MU500, etc.
SB 1.0, Snark Barker, SB1.5, SB Pro, SB16, Awe64, Adlib Clone, PAS16, etc.
X2GS, S2, MCCake, Orpheus, BlasterBoard