VOGONS

Reply 1120 of 3172, by Whiskey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just wondering if a complete list of component specs has been approved/set for the ARGUS? I know there was some talk about community kits previously, but couldn't find a finalised 'list'. Just looking into prices to decide if I want to source the parts myself or help with/buy a kit. What are other people thinking, kits or self source?

I stream retro games every wednesday here & I dump the recordings here

Reply 1121 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I highly approve of community sourced kits. It's a part I'm not willing to organize. Parts list will follow (as it hasn't been posted yet).

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 1122 of 3172, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

its much work to get all the components togehter, i already did this 2 times for some smaller projects.
But the ARGUS is at a different scale.
Much more Parts to Source 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 1123 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Only reason I haven't put out a list yet is because Eagle's feature to compile a partslist really sucks and needs a lot of manual tidying to be useable.
Parts for the ARGUS aren't exactly critical tho. The angled SIMM slot as seen on both prototypes (Type: 73824862) is the hardest one to get. All other parts are kinda easy.

[Z?]

Reply 1124 of 3172, by Whiskey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would I be correct in thinking the Type: 73824862 Socket has a pitch of 1.27 mm? (Distance between pins.)

I stream retro games every wednesday here & I dump the recordings here

Reply 1125 of 3172, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shock__ wrote:

Only reason I haven't put out a list yet is because Eagle's feature to compile a partslist really sucks and needs a lot of manual tidying to be useable.
Parts for the ARGUS aren't exactly critical tho. The angled SIMM slot as seen on both prototypes (Type: 73824862) is the hardest one to get. All other parts are kinda easy.

Would DRAM chips, perhaps mounted on a 0.1" header connected daughtercard, be viable as well?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 1126 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
shock__ wrote:

Would DRAM chips, perhaps mounted on a 0.1" header connected daughtercard, be viable as well?

There's gonna be a slight change for the DRAMs planned (so one can solder in sockets for them if they want to) ... but why a daughterboard?

[Z?]

Reply 1127 of 3172, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was thinking mainly of parts availability. As you said, an angled 72 pin SIMM slot is difficult to source.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 1128 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know at least 2 sources, 1 selling smaller amounts, the other multiples of 48 - price per piece is roughly $2

[Z?]

Reply 1130 of 3172, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

or fit a common socket, and put a smaller ISA Card next to the GUS :>

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 1131 of 3172, by Jonas-fr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote:

The angled SIMM slot as seen on both prototypes (Type: 73824862) is the hardest one to get.

I know what you're refering to, I'm looking for 30 pins straight SIMM slots (4 of them) since forever! The only one I found got insane minimal ordering prices or delusional shipping costs to Europe.

Reply 1132 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is quite an interesting project shock__ has started! I haven't read the entire thread yet, but I'm getting through it.

I have taken quite an interest in the SDK package linked earlier, and have been working to get everything to build more consistently. So far, I have reproduced enough of the build environment to get most targets to build. I am still editing the makefiles to avoid unnecessary build failures.

I have also noticed that makersp.exe is not part of every installation of Borland C++, so I wrote a minimal version of my own. I can share that if anyone needs it.

Is there any software work currently in progress, or anything left to be done?

Reply 1133 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To my knowledge the drivers in the SDK are outdated.
Since the target for the card is to remain compatible with the formerly distributed GUSPnP drivers there's no need for a custom built driver from the SDK ... having someone figure out how exactly the ROMMaker tool works would be awesome tho.

[Z?]

Reply 1134 of 3172, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

but then you could add new graphics to the drivers, followed up with a box, manual, flyer for your soon to be released newevo gamepad, registration card! and can't forget custom demos and game bundle:)

Reply 1137 of 3172, by Phreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://www.boxshop24.com/de/Stuelpschachteln.html

this shops sells CMYK Printed boxes for about 1,20€ per piece, if 500 are ordered 😀

this would be REALLY the cherry ontop the cake

ArGUS Parts list: http://bit.ly/2Ddf89V

Reply 1138 of 3172, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lots of work being done on this! I haven't had any time to sign on and check on the status of this for a while now (lots of things in life taking my time). I'll read up on all of this soon.

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 1139 of 3172, by vittek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just wanted to say congrats to everyone involved, shock__ especially. I cannot imagine the amount of work involved in something like this. Obviously a labor of love. I read through every page, all 57 of 'em. Just guessing an average of 20 posts per page that's over 1140 posts. I read through them in one day at the risk of getting in trouble at work hahaha. So awesome watching the progress from 2015 all the way till now, watching the board evolve from a longer one to a shorter one, love the logo and color choice. The audio recording was so cool I couldn't wait to get home to listen. My favorite was the 3d model video with both sides of the card it really helps visualize what going on in a layered PCB. Just goes to show what a talented person with a vision and some help can do. Very unique work of art. I had moved this past winter to a new town and just started a new job so I had no idea this was going on. I look for GUSes for sale from time to time as I never saw one growing up, it was just this legendary card used by the demoscene. I wrote shock__ a really passionate PM but I realize now, after the fact, I missed the deadline for both rounds of funding 😵 I definitely would have donated - this thread just didn't have much visibility or eluded me until yesterday. I totally respect that he cant keep accepting after the deadline, I just HAD to ask. Anyway, a major major accomplishment. I was thinking the logo is so awesome I am in Seattle and there's tons of printing presses here it would be cool to do T-Shirts for the release... If the group were to do kits it would be something really neat to have t shirts too, with the Logo on the front and the special thanks on the back... anyone interested?!