VOGONS

Reply 2520 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it was for the release candidate it is - otherwise there'll probably be minor changes (number of jumpers, headers, 10K resistors).
As I never supported the mouser basket, I guess it's better someone doublechecks 😉

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 2521 of 3172, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote:

TS482 is an active replacement type for MS6308/TDA1308 (according to http://www.allxref.com/philips/tda1308.htm)
https://www.mouser.de/Search/Refine?Keyword=TS482I

Any betatesters up for verifying?

Rather old stuff, but didn't see it mentioned again. I just tried and the TS482IDT‎ seems to work fine as a MS6308 replacement. No distortions or noise (at least to my ears).

Reply 2522 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-02-08, 01:25:

Spacer

@cyclone3d - please check your PMs.

[Z?]

Reply 2523 of 3172, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there a way to read out the version of the interwave (KC vs AKC)? I can't remember ever reading about a way, so far.

Reason being: I definitely got a batch of rebadged ICs, which are all marked as the KC version and which are all running fine. I'm just curious if they are remarked AKC, because otherwise I don't see much reason for them to be rebadged (they were even sanded and reprinted, as can be seen in the attached picture - original on top and bottom, remarked in the middle):

photo_2021-02-18_12-04-13.jpg
Filename
photo_2021-02-18_12-04-13.jpg
File size
102.92 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Reply 2524 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With existing software - no idea to be honest.
The datasheet lists some additional registers for the AKC tho, I'm sure one could write software to check for them. To my knowledge the AKC is fully compatible to the KC variant (at least the STB SoundRage and original GUS PnP I fitted with AKC chips never had any issues).

Just out of interest ... where did you get them and (if you want to disclose) how much did you pay? While I still have about 400 chips in stock might be good to know what the future market looks like.
Odd how/why they're relabeled ... considering the datecode remained identical.

[Z?]

Reply 2525 of 3172, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Getting the revision data is not enough in this case right? Because Impulse Tracker displays the revision data. From the Impulse Tracker source:

IWID            DB      "AMD Interwave, Revision "
RevisionLetter DB " ", 13
DB "Port ", 0FDh, "Xh, ", 0FDh, "Dk Memory", 0

IWID2 DB "AMD Interwave, Revision "
RevisionLetter2 DB " ", 13
DB "Port ", 0FDh, "Xh, IRQ ", 0FDh, "D, ", 0FDh, "Dk RAM", 0

YouTube

Reply 2526 of 3172, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote on 2021-02-18, 11:22:

Just out of interest ... where did you get them and (if you want to disclose) how much did you pay? While I still have about 400 chips in stock might be good to know what the future market looks like.
Odd how/why they're relabeled ... considering the datecode remained identical.

Indeed, it's odd, I was expecting them to be totally fake, but they do all work fine, so far. It was also a batch of three original and three reworked ones.
The source of these were UTSource (and another single one from AliExpress, which was also similarily reworked - so I'm guessing they're coming from a common supplier in the backend).
The price was about 9.5 USD per piece excluding delivery (plus a 3 USD extra on Aliexpress and about 9 USD extra on UT), which is why I tried them and in the end, I'm perfectly happy with what I got, just curious about their reasons behind it.

I also put in repeated RFQs for the AKC variant (since they're listed as available there), but they always came back as 'no stock'. Other suppliers (like hkinventory, etc.) also either never answered or came back as unavailable. The only one I found that's still offering the AKC is on Ebay and probably the one you ordered yours a few years ago? 😉 For a small batch, though, his price for the AKC isn't really reasonable for a EU based buyer and he also didn't budge much on inquiry.

So, you might have a unique selling point there 😉

Reply 2527 of 3172, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rawit wrote on 2021-02-18, 11:40:

Getting the revision data is not enough in this case right? Because Impulse Tracker displays the revision data. From the Impulse Tracker source:

Thanks for the hint, I'll still try my cards and see what they show. I just don't have any verified AKC variant to compare (since even the original PnP only came with the KC version).

Reply 2529 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I received my package today, thanks Shock__
I will wait for someone to potentially post a mouser basket before I order stuff to solder the cards, my spare time is very limited nowdays :\

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2531 of 3172, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rawit wrote on 2021-02-18, 11:40:

Again, thanks for this hint: The relabled and original ICs both do report a "Revision B" in Impulse Tracker for the KC-version. Now it would just be interesting to know if the AKC is reporting as 'Revision C'.

photo_2021-02-19_19-41-29.jpg
Filename
photo_2021-02-19_19-41-29.jpg
File size
82.92 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Reply 2533 of 3172, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote on 2021-02-20, 09:56:

AKC reports as Revision C

Awesome, thanks for checking it! So, as much as it's no real answer for why they went for all that remarking work, there really is a working way to check the internal revision.

Reply 2534 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MJay99 wrote on 2021-02-20, 13:08:

[...]as much as it's no real answer for why they went for all that remarking work[...]

Because someone sometime asked for later revision chips and new datecodes and the chinese suppliers started rebadging with these details thinking the chips are more valuable/desirable when in reality noone actually want remarked stuff. I would rather have a scratched unmolested chip than a laser-marked ones.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2535 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm quite sure those were remarked just for the sake of going with their usual workflow.
Makes very little sense, but I guess when they're processing 10.000s of ICs per day it can go unnoticed.
On the other hand I've had faked/relabeled ICs which are worth less than 0.20€ as originals.

[Z?]

Reply 2536 of 3172, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote on 2021-02-20, 18:28:

On the other hand I've had faked/relabeled ICs which are worth less than 0.20€ as originals.

I've also seen all sorts of those: from some very cheap ROMs labeled to show more well known brands (becoming obvious on the ID check while programming), over more expensive and fake MAX232 which ended latching up on very specific conditions (depending on the power-up sequence), to this one now (which I was expecting to be totally fake / non-working, but indeed seem to just have been very crudely remarked to another date code). All in all, nothing I'm bothered by, it'd just have been fun to maybe see them turn the more rare AKCs into cheaper KCs. 😀 But since these are working KC at a pretty low price for testing, it's fine with me. Of course, I'd have preferred them to not be mistreated like they were, but oh well 😀

Talking about mistreating: together with a friend and after placing all parts on solder-paste, we tried soldering one of the cards, including the interwave, by means of a cheap chinese cooking plate with a thermometer. Worked out really nicely, too, just needs some (rather passive) attention to the temperature and could have needed a better smoke removal to avoid triggering the smoke-detector 😁 In the end, it did make for even nicer solder-joints than my hot air soldering before. But that's really not supposed to be a recommendation, it was just a fun experiment to me.

Reply 2537 of 3172, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

declaring interest in a pcb when one becomes available. can supply my own chip off this donor card. stupid question would the am78c201kc chip work just as well as the AKC?

I couldn't figure out by the pics how shock modded his card thats like this one. Is there really no way to add ram to this car?

Re: Newly made Gravis Ultrasound compatible cards ... what's the degree of interest?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    492.58 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2538 of 3172, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My personal recommendation: take shock's AKC (or buy any other KC) and sell this card unmodified. You'll then probably end up with a dual RAM option card and more money than you have now 😉
KC and AKC will both work on the same card and so far, I've found no noticable bug in any game or demo that I've run with the KC version (which, after all, is the one you find on all the official PNPs, apart from e.g. the Compaq clone).
Even though there is said to be some fixes in the AKC version, I'm still looking for a way to trigger any issue.

Reply 2539 of 3172, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2021-02-21, 04:05:

I couldn't figure out by the pics how shock modded his card thats like this one. Is there really no way to add ram to this car?

Since they omitted footprints for it, I'm guessing they also didn't run any traces for e.g. RAS or MWE from the Interwave. The interwave itself does provide all the functionality, but seems this card simply doesn't make use of it.

So, to add it somehow, you'd theoretically have to build yourself a small extra PCB with the RAM and run wires to the Latches (74LS373) as well as some pins of the Interwave.
Personally, I wouldn't go there - too many ways for things to go wrong, even more when there's proper PCBs coming 😉