VOGONS

Reply 640 of 3174, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could you please show us a model of the prototype you're going to order? 😀 Veeeery curious to see that!

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 641 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sure ... just a minute (keep in mind Eagle3D is slightly buggy)
http://i.imgur.com/JDcLIIg.png
(missing component names on the silkscreen, the contributor section above the top right corner of the InterWave should be exposed copper)

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 642 of 3174, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
j^aws wrote:
[...] […]
Show full quote

[...]

1) Pay shock__ for basic kit, order from shock__
2) shock__ ships to keropi
3) Pay keropi, and keropi ships fully assembled/ tested ARGUS to me
4) Profit

Kinda like that...?

yep, that sounds just about right 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 643 of 3174, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

its_beautiful.png

But one more remark - why don't you change the identification of the jumpers? ISA header is not a jumper, so it's better not be called JP1/JP2.
For the sake of clarity I'd better give the banks jumpers the names from JP0 to JP3 - in order for them to correspond to the banks. Then the -5V jumper becomes JP4 - and that's it.

Another point.
I've just gone for a smoke and had an idea - if you don't mind, I'd contacted AMD office in Russia with a short description of the project and ask them for help with transforming the 4Mb RAM bank into a ROM image - of course, Eye & I shall be also contacted for that, but who knows - as you mentioned earlier, we Russians are always willing to help with such DIY projects, maybe this one will be a "final drop" in someone's career at AMD-Russia 😀 Who knows... So, waiting for your approval.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 644 of 3174, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:
j^aws wrote:
[...] […]
Show full quote

[...]

4) Profit

Kinda like that...?

That's my backup plan. Keropi might get really busy......... 😎

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 645 of 3174, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is one beutiful PCB prototype model \o/

Now I'm already trying to decide what machine would be the best match for ARGUS. Probably my Pentium 133 + DOS 6.22 =)

Reply 646 of 3174, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dogchainx wrote:
keropi wrote:
j^aws wrote:
[...] […]
Show full quote

[...]

4) Profit

Kinda like that...?

That's my backup plan. Keropi might get really busy......... 😎

I would be keen on a kit. The PCB with all the components needed. I would enjoy the soldering part. But hunting down all the parts would be a pain.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 647 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hard1k wrote:

But one more remark - why don't you change the identification of the jumpers? ISA header is not a jumper, so it's better not be called JP1/JP2.

That's why they're called X1/X2 (as in extender) 😀 I could still renumber them, yes.
There's actually 1 tiny thing I still need to adjust, the drill holes for the SIMM socket are for the 90° variant and I wanted to additionally add drill holes for the straight variant as well (that's why there are 2 lines and 1 circle randomly placed in the silkscreen). Also that silkscreen for the joystick port is way over the top. Both nothing that would require another round of prototyping if I forgot it, but nice to be able to see/test it in the first go.

[Z?]

Reply 648 of 3174, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And what about angled socket? I don't know what type of holes it has, but it is more common than the 90-angled one. And the straight one will be a nightmare for all prospective users as it will make the next valuable slot unusable. That's what happened to SIMMConn actually.

EDIT: confused 90-degrees with straight - everything depends on the point of view, theory of relativity, you know...

Last edited by hard1k on 2015-06-05, 22:56. Edited 3 times in total.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 649 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.te.com/commerce/DocumentDelivery/D … ntxt=7-382486-2

That's the 3d model of the socket I currently intent on using myself and might possibly get a good deal on to provide it along with the PCBs.

[Z?]

Reply 650 of 3174, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, that's cool! TE kindly provided me with all possible sockets for my GUS RAM adapter, they were really good. Keep wondering how much they invest in business development... 😀

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 654 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also once again - this first batch is closed for now (you had a little over 2 months to opt in). There _may_ be a second one some time in the future, as some people asked me for it already and me having ~80 InterWave chips left after the first batch if all goes more or less with the plan.

Therefore thanks to the following for making this project possible in one way or another:
alexanrs, alien^pdx, AlphaC, b_rros, Beegle, bristlehog, Chain-Q, CHiLL72, Crazysheriff, dogchainx, Dosenware, Dubinius, Enigma, FGB, Fire-Phoenix-Fire, GMBigB, hard1k, hyperborean, keropi, Kodai, kylix, Marmes, Matze79, nicetux, QBiN, ratfink, rique, sev80, struuunz, stynx, Synoptic, Toast_r, vetz, Wavetable, wbc, wollev45, x1541

Some additional stats ...
Total supporters: 37
Supporters from VOGONS: 18
Supporters from DOSForum: 14
Supporters from VzEkC: 3
Supporters from pouet: 2
(some supporters are on multiple of the above, I used the platform I'm mostly in contact with them preferably)
Likely amount of cards being produced in batch #1: 85
Donation span: 9€ - 70€
Hardware donations: 6
Visual design contributions: 3
Amount of praise/love recieved: 9000+
Amount of whining/bitching/feature-creeping recieved: extremely little

@Stojke: Ask AMD/Gravis/Synergy/Philips/Reveal why they didn't socket the chip. I certainly won't because those sockets cost as much as the PCB itself - having no benefit other than users fiddling with the chips, preferably reseating them the wrong way and/or breaking off pins. If you're worried about fucking the IC and don't think you can do the rework (or find someone to do it for you) don't consider this project suited for you.

[Z?]

Reply 655 of 3174, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am not requesting for you to include it in every batch, I am wondering can I install one if I decide to buy an PCB / Chip.
Socketed chips are much more interesting to look at.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 656 of 3174, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, as PQFP-sockets have a different footprint than the chip itself. Actually ... no idea what socket I found when I first googled. Now I'm just finding the ones I thought of originally - costing roughly 100x as much as the chip that's gonna be seated in them 😀

If you want, I have a dead InterWave chip I could send you for free if the cover the postage. Pins look alright.

[Z?]

Reply 657 of 3174, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I understand now. The chip it self is the problem because its made for surface mounting. I always assumed the pins could be bent easily, but that's a totally different package.
I think its a shame to waste a chip on me trying to fit it into a socket 🤣

Also one last question, it is unclear to me, can an PCB + Interwave chip still be bought from you? From what I understand the current shipment/batch quota is full ?

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 658 of 3174, by wbc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

just some coding note: tried to build a DOS mixer from this sources: Re: Newly made Gravis Ultrasound compatible cards ... what's the degree of interest? by Borland C++ 3.1 - does not compile. Seems that sources are does not work by design or just I frogot to set up my compiler properly 😀
Open Watcom 1.9 is also unable to make it, but sources are definitely incompatible with Watcom compliers.

Attachments

• Filename
    log.log
    File size
    8.44 KiB
    Downloads
    60 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

--wbcbz7