VOGONS

Simmconn AWE64 Adapter

Topic actions

Reply 480 of 549, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, I was just curious because I thought they looked slightly smaller than the standard 2.54mm (0.1") connector. I'm currently reworking the schematic in KiCAD with a PCB design. Also, making everything through-hole would be much easier for a DIY kit (instead of the PLCC socket for the programmable logic). It is available in a DIP package as well.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 481 of 549, by Bester

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dreamblaster wrote on 2020-01-04, 07:26:

Also, I'm preparing for next fully assembled+tested production batch, these should be ready in february.

Fantastic, I am keen for a "Simmconn Gold Chip" version when available (I will keep an eye on your website).

Amiga 1200 - Blizzard 1260 Rev6 (71E41J), Indivision AGA MK2cr
Amiga CD32 - TF330 030/50MHz with MMU, Kipper2K Riser
C64 Reloaded MK2 - 1541 Ultimate II+

Reply 482 of 549, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dreamblaster wrote on 2019-12-16, 18:35:

The simmconn adapters are out of stock.
I will probably have a new batch made, begin 2020.
Post below if you are interested, I will pm you when it is ready.

I have also interest in the new batch..

Iam mostly intrested in a Value adapter.. Because they are expensive now days i will first purchase one, then 1 or 2 later.

Last edited by Robin4 on 2020-01-19, 02:06. Edited 1 time in total.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 483 of 549, by kepstin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dreamblaster wrote on 2019-12-16, 18:35:

The simmconn adapters are out of stock.
I will probably have a new batch made, begin 2020.
Post below if you are interested, I will pm you when it is ready.

I'd love to be added to the list for a 2020 production batch!
I'm looking for a soldered/assembled simmconn, for an AWE64 Gold.

Reply 484 of 549, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ok !

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 485 of 549, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@dreamblaster

Are you going make them per request or will there be a new batch?
Would it be possible for the value type to order it with a green pcb?
And wil the new batch using the same components or will the lay-out getting modified?

Iam only intrested now for a assembled simmconn, because i dont have much time and trouble to assembled it myself.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 486 of 549, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There will be a new batch, black pcb's
both gold and value versions (only difference is the chip in plcc socket, so the pcb is the same)
same components

Reply 487 of 549, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just assembled my SIMMCONN but I can't get it working with my AWE64 Value. Checked all soldering, all good. Tried a 32MB stick, 16MB stick, and 8MB double sided stick, (jumpered appropriately) but regardless what module I put in there it shows up as having 0kB DRAM in the awe control panel and DIAGNOSE doesn't detect any DRAM. Anything I'm missing here?

The SIMMs I tried were all tested good in a motherboard, and the onboard DRAM tests good on the AWE still if I take the module off.

Reply 488 of 549, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-01-22, 02:37:

I just assembled my SIMMCONN but I can't get it working with my AWE64 Value. Checked all soldering, all good. Tried a 32MB stick, 16MB stick, and 8MB double sided stick, (jumpered appropriately) but regardless what module I put in there it shows up as having 0kB DRAM in the awe control panel and DIAGNOSE doesn't detect any DRAM. Anything I'm missing here?
The SIMMs I tried were all tested good in a motherboard, and the onboard DRAM tests good on the AWE still if I take the module off.

Do you have any SIMMs that exactly match the types used in this video (it also shows the matching jumper settings) ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHAx2BWEjK0

Reply 489 of 549, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-01-22, 02:37:

I don't know what version of AWE you use, is there any chance there is DRAM_EN jumper on the card itself? I know it's a long shot, but my AWE32 CT2760 has one.

Reply 490 of 549, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dreamblaster wrote on 2020-01-22, 06:50:

Do you have any SIMMs that exactly match the types used in this video (it also shows the matching jumper settings) ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHAx2BWEjK0

Exactly? No. But I do have several 8 chip 16MB modules with very similar part numbers on the ICs. Is the thing really that picky about DRAM chips?

RacoonRider wrote on 2020-01-22, 07:13:

I don't know what version of AWE you use, is there any chance there is DRAM_EN jumper on the card itself? I know it's a long shot, but my AWE32 CT2760 has one.

Only jumper on the AWE64 Value is MFBEN - it enables the onboard MIDI IIRC

Reply 491 of 549, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-01-22, 13:42:
dreamblaster wrote on 2020-01-22, 06:50:

Exactly? No. But I do have several 8 chip 16MB modules with very similar part numbers on the ICs. Is the thing really that picky about DRAM chips?

It works with only a single pair of 32MB SIMMs that I have, though it seems to be a lot more compatible with 8MB SIMMs..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 493 of 549, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-01-22, 15:43:

When you put in an incompatible SIMM does it have the same behaviour where diagnose detects no DRAM and the awe control panel shows 0kB?

For some yes. For some it shows the wrong amount.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 494 of 549, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

EMU8000 has limited output drive capability per pin and modules with a lot of chips put a big strain on the address lines since those are parallel on all the chips and must be buffered. Data lines are less of a problem since one pin will only drive one or two chips. They are not buffered on the SIMMCONN though (address lines are), it is the only thing I can think of that can cause issues.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 495 of 549, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've now tried like 10 different SIMMs of varying sizes and chip counts with all reporting 0kB in awe CP. Either something is wrong with my card or the SIMMCONN, but I went back and double checked all connections on the PCB and all is good there. Only thing I can think of is the PAL - would it be possible to bypass it for testing purposes?

Reply 496 of 549, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does the card have any memory detected without SIMMCONN connected to it?
I've got an AWE64 Gold with a similar problem - I put it away in storage for a few years and when I tested it again, it only detects 0KB RAM instead of 4096KB. It still detects 0KB with the SIMMCONN connected no matter what SIMM is installed.

Reply 497 of 549, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Thermalwrong wrote on 2020-01-23, 01:12:

Does the card have any memory detected without SIMMCONN connected to it?
I've got an AWE64 Gold with a similar problem - I put it away in storage for a few years and when I tested it again, it only detects 0KB RAM instead of 4096KB. It still detects 0KB with the SIMMCONN connected no matter what SIMM is installed.

Yes. Without the SIMMCONN connected the onboard 512kB works as intended

Reply 498 of 549, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like the PAL is required for refresh so there's no bypassing it. I'm wondering if I maybe got a Gold version by mistake, according to the user manual on the original website my symptoms would be consistent with that. I have a gold I can test it in tomorrow

Reply 499 of 549, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

so the device didn't work on my gold either - I've tried like 20 different SIMMs now so I don't think incompatible memory is a possibility

I even went through with a probe and tested each address line through the 245s to make sure they were working properly, and they are

pretty much has to be the PAL, or my value card at this point - has anyone seen an AWE64 (value) that would work just fine with onboard DRAM but outright refuse to work with a SIMMCONN?

I'm ordering a PLCC adapter for my TL866II to try to see if it will dump the PAL