VOGONS

Reply 580 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

hmm that doesn't seem correct indeed - it seems like this bracket has the bend in the wrong place - PM me your address and I will send you a replacement one!
The correct ones looks like this:

Ei303iHl.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 581 of 894, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PM sent. Thanks again.

Pentium MMX 233 | 64MB | FIC PA-2013 | Matrox Mystique 220 | SB Pro 2 | Music Quest MPU Clone | Windows 95B
MT-32 | SC-55mkII, 88Pro, 8820 | SB16 CT2230
3DFX Voodoo 1&2 | S3 ViRGE GX2 | PowerVR PCX1&2 | Rendition Vérité V1000 | ATI 3D Rage Pro

Reply 582 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yep just confirmed - that bracket you have there Agent of the BSoD is just wrongly bent...
Here is a comparison in a Hyundai case with it's original bracket:

Sk7pHhTl.jpg

replacement will be sent - this exact one on the pic 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 583 of 894, by Xeen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks keropi and Marmes for creating this awesome card, it works beautifully on my 486. 😊

However, it's quite frustrating when I try SS7...

MB: PA-2013 (ACPI disabled and APM enabled in BIOS)
Sound Card: Audician 32 plus/ESS AudioDrive ES1868F
MIDI module: MT-32
DOS 6.22

When I use only MPU card and MT-32 and select MT-32 without Sound Blaster in the game, I can see MT-32 message light is flashing and MPU card IRQ=2/5/7 all work fine.

When I use one of the above sound card together with MPU card and select MT-32 with Sound Blaster in the games then both music and speech come out from sound card and MT-32 doesn't receive any messages. Tried all the MPU card and sound card IRQ combination, but nothing helps... 😢

Can anyone guide me how to make them work on SS7?

Reply 584 of 894, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Disable the MPU-401 on the sound cards and make sure you have IRQ 9 open as well (disable auto VGA IRQ and set the IRQs from PnP to Legacy ISA).

Also, check to see if the volume is correct on both the MT-32 and sound card(s).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 585 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have been using mpus for many years in my main DOS PC that is a 233mmx - you need to make sure that your other soundcard has disabled MPU port OR move it to another one like 300. What you describe sounds like both MPU and soundcard use the same port 330 and there is a conflict.
Move or disable your soundcard's mpu port and all will work fine.

Reply 586 of 894, by Xeen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update: issue resolved!

It turns out there are jumpers on board for MPU port settings and it works great after changing it. 🤣

===================
Thanks for bjwil1991 and keropi, after disabling sound card MPU or moving port the MPU card works perfectly with both Audician 32 plus and ESS AudioDrive ES1868F 😊

Now the issue comes to my Turtle Beach Tropez which I'm really confused by it's setup programs. There are two exe files, SETUPSND.exe and TZSETUP.exe.

SETUPSND.exe seems most likely specifically for MIDI setup, but I always get error message when trying to setup port 300 and IRQ 5 (default is port 330 and IRQ2/9), it says IRQ is used by other hardware. 😒

TZSETUP.exe pops up a form which can setup Sound Blaster port, IRQ, DMA,..etc and also MPU-401 enable/disable/port.

So which program should I use for setting up sound card MPU and what exactly do I need to put in my AUTOEXEC.bat and CONFIG.sys??

Is it necessary to upload OSWF.MOT by SETUPSND.exe each time?

(All the program are download from Vogons drivers)

Attachments

• IMG_4406.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_4406.jpg
    File size
    86.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 587 of 894, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Replacement bracket arrived a few hours ago. After looking at them side by side, yeah, the original one of mine was bent at a weird angle, with the screw part not bent down as far as it should've been. But this new one is perfect, installed with no trouble. Thanks again!

Pentium MMX 233 | 64MB | FIC PA-2013 | Matrox Mystique 220 | SB Pro 2 | Music Quest MPU Clone | Windows 95B
MT-32 | SC-55mkII, 88Pro, 8820 | SB16 CT2230
3DFX Voodoo 1&2 | S3 ViRGE GX2 | PowerVR PCX1&2 | Rendition Vérité V1000 | ATI 3D Rage Pro

Reply 588 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

today we started making some new brackets so I took a quick video from the first row of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9HeQsJHPos
mesmerising 🤣

Reply 590 of 894, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

today we started making some new brackets so I took a quick video from the first row of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9HeQsJHPos
mesmerising 🤣

Neat!

1982 to 2001

Reply 591 of 894, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That video was cool, completely different than I had imagined haha. How much does that cost ?

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 592 of 894, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pretty sweet video. Thanks for sharing.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 593 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

glad you liked it 😀
the cost for them is not something I can tell so people can get an idea - it's because of the special business relation I have with the manufacturer. They do not make parts for others at all or even make something computer-related. they just make them as a favour to me. There is some manual work afterwards - remove the sharp edges and make the bend - these I do myself.

Reply 594 of 894, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lucky ! It is nice to have friends like that ~

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 595 of 894, by noobineer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got my card and can report both success but also a slight annoyance I found. I have two ss7 motherboards, the first one I had setup was a Gigabyte GA-5SG100 with the SIS 5591 chipset and a modded bios to allow using the K6-III+. From what I've found experimenting, that motherboard does not respect the setting of IRQ 9 = legacy isa and it leaves ACPI on IRQ 9 which creates a conflict. With that issue, I couldn't get Gateway to work set at either IRQ 2 or 9 from DOS. I did get the card to work with Gateway on IRQ 3 in DOS and I also got it to show up and played some .mid files using it on IRQ 9 (jumper set at 2) in windows with acpi disabled in the registry. Tonight I just changed over to a Asus P5A-B motherboard (ALI Aladin V) and that board's bios is respectful of setting IRQ 9 to legacy isa and the card works fine in dos with the jumper at the default IRQ 2. Thanks Keropi and Marmes!

Reply 596 of 894, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there any ETA for new batch of cards? I have my SC55 waiting to be hooked up to the 286 😀

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 597 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@noobineer
Glad to hear another success story in the end with a SS7 system 😀
Sadly there isn't much one can do if the bios/hardware of a mobo do not want to let go of IRQ9 - many games will work in other resource settings just fine but some are just hardcoded for irq2/port330 ...

@root42
sadly real-life decided to kill my ETA - under normal circumstances I would already be selling cards but I had a business emergency so I am in Germany since the 10th of the month.
I will start working on the cards when I return back home next week...

Reply 598 of 894, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

@root42
sadly real-life decided to kill my ETA - under normal circumstances I would already be selling cards but I had a business emergency so I am in Germany since the 10th of the month.
I will start working on the cards when I return back home next week...

Oh bummer! You could have brought some with you, for your german customers *hint* *hint*. 😉

But anyway: hope you have a nice stay!

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 599 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes it has been bothering me since I could easily solder cards here with the equipment available... I should have thought of that.
This autumn-like weather is perfect for me - I like it very much 😀