VOGONS

Sound problems (yamaha opl3)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by ratco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have a laptop (toshiba satellite 220cs) which has onboard audio yamaha opl3.
I have a problem with sound in msdos (and I suspect freedos too, even though I have been unable to test freedos extensively).
First I was getting no sound at all. I then went into the BIOS and noticed I have sound options as:

WSS I/O Address (varies between 530h and 560h)
SBPro I/O Address (varies betwen 220h and 240h)
WSS & SBPro & MPU401 IRQ Level (varies between IRQ5 and IRQ15)
WSS(Play) DMA (varies between Channel0 and 3)
WSS(REC.) & SBPro DMA (varies between Channel1 and 3 and also has the option "Same as Play)

Apparently I don't have no sound at all unless I set the last option to "same as play". BUT not in all applications and game. Actually most of them don't have sound anyway.

For example: Battle Arena Toshiden has sound but Need for Speed and Quake have not.

Can anyone provide me information on this? I have searched the web and got nothing workable. 🙁

Thanks in advance!!

Reply 4 of 8, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Set it as follows:
SBPro I/O to 220
WSS I/O to 530
IRQ to 7 (disable LPT1 or move it to IRQ5)
WSS (Play) DMA to 0
WSS (Req) and SBPro DMA to 1

Alternatively, set WSS (Play) DMA to 1 and the SBPro DMA to Same as play (the important thin is to have SBPro DMA = 1).

Now, add the followin line to your AUTOEXEC.BAT, notice that the P330 part should only be included if your BIOS allows you to set an MPU401 port (if you set it to something other than 330, change the parameter to match, e.g. P300

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 [i]P330[/i] T6

Games in DOS will eiher take the values off that BLASTER variable or allow you to set them manually. Set your games to "Sound Blaster Pro" for both sound effects and music to the addresses set in the BIOS setup. If the games have an option for Windows Sound System you can try using that instead, as it offers 16-bit stereo playback at 44100Hz (the SBPro offers 8-bit stereo playback at 22050Hz), but the SBPro should be safer. Also, if the games offer multiple settings for SBPro, choose whatever says "newer", "2.0" or something that indicates the later revision.

Also, be more specific about what doesn't work. Sound effects and digital playback are somewhat independent, so try using games like Duke Nukem 3D/Constructor/Warcraft 2, which allows you to test each separately in their sound setup.

Reply 5 of 8, by DX7_EP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am not sure how relevant this is to your situation, but it might be useful to check what the control address is. At least on my 4005CDS, I am able to adjust it (typically 538h), but the Yamaha setup program loves to insist 370h instead, which caused problems with SB digital audio.

Assuming the 220CS is PnP-compatible in BIOS, it may help to go to OPL3SA.ini (in your sound driver directory), adjust the address, IRQ, and DMA info there, and then also set Config_PnP or similar to 1. That has tended to work for me, even with 2 different DMAs for WSS (0 for play, 1 for recording plus all SB functions).

CM-64, FB-01, SC-55ST, SC-8850, SD-20

Reply 7 of 8, by ratco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone.
Thank you so much for all the replies! I have been away for a while but I was able to get it to work.
Basically I had to set things in the BIOS similar to what is described above by alexanrs and I had to add a line to autoexec.bat with SET BLASTER and use the same values that I had used in the BIOS (I also had to add T3 or T4 to have it compatible with other soundcards).
Anyway, I also discovered that some games needed adjustments at their own setup. All is running fine now. Thanks a bunch for the info!