VOGONS

Reply 280 of 741, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK. In what exactly is the harm if you add the possibility to set the preamp as optional ? And leave default range without preamp.

As I understand it no one can't explain the cause , but all say what if add this option - will be bad. Amusingly ))))

Reply 282 of 741, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SC-VA is completely software and works perfectly.
If you use Dosbox more than a retro PC, SC-VA would be better.

Last edited by James-F on 2016-07-06, 15:31. Edited 1 time in total.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 286 of 741, by syche

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

Could someone confirm that in the attached midi (theme.mid) file between 1:41 and 1:56 Tubular bells (channels 14 and 15) are almost inaudible (in any mode, btw), even though it shows them as playing at a high level? I was playing with SCVA yesterday and noticed this strange behaviour. I never had the real SC hardware, so I don't know how it should sound on it, but I know this composition quite well (from the game), played it on different hardware back in the day and lately different soundfonts and I'm fairly certain that these tubular bells were meant to be heard. It's a minor detail, of course, I just want to confirm that it's not just my setup and me doing something wrong. Also, if anyone who has any model of the real Sound Canvas (or better yet several different models, 🤣) could also check it for comparison.

BTW this rip from the game has some errors, sadly I couldn't find any better to demonstrate the issue, but I have Ultima 8 installed and it behaves exactly the same way at this moment (tubular bells inaudible). Thanks.

Edit: I found a better example (without errors) that demonstrates the issue. Endgame.mid - look at channels 14 and 15 between 1:47 and 2:03. Again tubular bells are inaudible even though it shows that it's playing them at a high level.

Attachments

• Filename
    ENDGAME.ZIP
    File size
    24.44 KiB
    Downloads
    121 downloads
    File comment
    Ultima 8 theme - endgame
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    THEME.ZIP
    File size
    16.83 KiB
    Downloads
    101 downloads
    File comment
    Ultima 8 theme
    File license

Reply 287 of 741, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Question - can this be used on multiple computers? Not all at once, but I have two desktops and one laptop, and it would be nice to use this on all of them without having to buy it three times. $125 is pricey enough for a single copy.

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM

Reply 288 of 741, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

License files are not machine specific. There are also other ways of acquiring such needlessly expensive software, but discussing such is not allowed on this forum, so we encourage you to go blow your money away in the most careless manner possible.

Reply 289 of 741, by sUPERtOTO009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
syche wrote:
Hi! […]
Show full quote

Hi!

Could someone confirm that in the attached midi (theme.mid) file between 1:41 and 1:56 Tubular bells (channels 14 and 15) are almost inaudible (in any mode, btw), even though it shows them as playing at a high level? I was playing with SCVA yesterday and noticed this strange behaviour. I never had the real SC hardware, so I don't know how it should sound on it, but I know this composition quite well (from the game), played it on different hardware back in the day and lately different soundfonts and I'm fairly certain that these tubular bells were meant to be heard. It's a minor detail, of course, I just want to confirm that it's not just my setup and me doing something wrong. Also, if anyone who has any model of the real Sound Canvas (or better yet several different models, 🤣) could also check it for comparison.

BTW this rip from the game has some errors, sadly I couldn't find any better to demonstrate the issue, but I have Ultima 8 installed and it behaves exactly the same way at this moment (tubular bells inaudible). Thanks.

Edit: I found a better example (without errors) that demonstrates the issue. Endgame.mid - look at channels 14 and 15 between 1:47 and 2:03. Again tubular bells are inaudible even though it shows that it's playing them at a high level.

Yep, I confirm that. The tubular bells between 1:41 and 1:56 are inaudible. I tested THEME.MID file in SC-VA All-modes (SC-55, SC-88, SC-88pro and SC-8820), Yamaha S-YXG50 VST, Microsoft GS Softsynthetizer and Reality GM/GS SoundFont. Only in SC-VA the Tubular Bells are inaudible (only a one little beat near to 1:56).

By the way, in Akumajo Dracula X68000, I can't hear the complete "evil laugh" effects in the Intro theme "Black Mass" (SC-55 option selected). Thank You for the help.

Reply 290 of 741, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't confirm this , because if play only Tubular-Bells , differenc there is. Maybe this linked so as wha SC-VA correctly workin with additional parameters MIDI file. Yes , this
exactly so,

Channel 09 volume range 0.

but problem in as working this patch on SC-VA , video attached.

In Tubular-bells all what upper C7 played very very quiet.

Attachments

• Filename
    333.rar
    File size
    4.66 MiB
    Downloads
    113 downloads
    File comment
    Problem,
    File license

Reply 291 of 741, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Details this effect or problem as who like )
In video

Yet i think , what SCVA play Tubular-bells correctly , although first time and doubted in this )

Where use , only up-tone for next note - is sound bright ) but Sound Canvas VA another case

Attachments

• Filename
    synths.rar
    File size
    4.3 MiB
    Downloads
    102 downloads
    File comment
    But , Virtual Sound Canvas played this also as Sound Canvas VA , although Hyper Canvas play this melody otherwise )
    File license
  • Filename
    problem.part3.rar
    File size
    3.21 MiB
    Downloads
    102 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    problem.part2.rar
    File size
    5 MiB
    Downloads
    93 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    problem.part1.rar
    File size
    5 MiB
    Downloads
    92 downloads
    File license

Reply 292 of 741, by sUPERtOTO009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another issue detected: the activation don't work in the new version of Windows 10 Anniversary Edition (1607). When I try to select Activation option from OPTION button with SAVIHost, only appear the message "Sound Canvas VA is running trial mode". No matter what I try to do (compability mode, etc). Tested with Sound Canvas VA v1.00 and v1.03 in a clean installation of Windows 10 rev. 1607. Please, confirm that. Thanks!!!

Reply 293 of 741, by citrixscu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
thecrankyhermit wrote:

Question - can this be used on multiple computers? Not all at once, but I have two desktops and one laptop, and it would be nice to use this on all of them without having to buy it three times. $125 is pricey enough for a single copy.

You can activate the product on 2 machines.

Reply 294 of 741, by citrixscu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sUPERtOTO009 wrote:

Another issue detected: the activation don't work in the new version of Windows 10 Anniversary Edition (1607). When I try to select Activation option from OPTION button with SAVIHost, only appear the message "Sound Canvas VA is running trial mode". No matter what I try to do (compability mode, etc). Tested with Sound Canvas VA v1.00 and v1.03 in a clean installation of Windows 10 rev. 1607. Please, confirm that. Thanks!!!

Can't confirm directly, as I activated prior to upgrading to v1607. Currently on latest fast ring build and have no problems with product activation. Does activator create the proper directories in C:\ProgramData\Roland\Activator\ ?

Reply 295 of 741, by sUPERtOTO009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
citrixscu wrote:
sUPERtOTO009 wrote:

Can't confirm directly, as I activated prior to upgrading to v1607. Currently on latest fast ring build and have no problems with product activation. Does activator create the proper directories in C:\ProgramData\Roland\Activator\ ?

OK. I found the problem: Windows Defender (included in Windows 10). I turned off that crap, uninstall the program, delete the "C:\ProgramData\Roland\Activator\" directory and any registry entry. Reinstall SC-VA.....and activation has successfull completed. Now all working perfect. Sorry for the false positive and thanks for the help!!!

PSD: Sorry if my english is not good. 😀

Reply 296 of 741, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
syche wrote:

Could someone confirm that in the attached midi (theme.mid) file between 1:41 and 1:56 Tubular bells (channels 14 and 15) are almost inaudible (in any mode, btw), even though it shows them as playing at a high level?

Well that's simple.
All SC instruments have a range, the velocity of these tubular bells is around 50 (out of 127) and the pitch is very high, it's simply out of the sound canvas range.
You will not hear it on any sound canvas including the hardware because the song was not composed on a sound canvas.

Have fun.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 297 of 741, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

James-F
There's another reason)))
Usually in MIDI Synthesizers such as Microsoft WaveTable , CoolSoft Virtual MIDI Synth , YAMAHA S-YXG50 and others very easy decide problem sound modulation.. in such cases, just upshift sound frequency. This not correctly because this method very very rude. In SoundCanvas Deviceas and SC-VA take into account the specificity sounds of instruments )

Reply 298 of 741, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

James-F is right. Although SCVA has valid Tubular Bells range to note D9 (110) it is very silent. You should set Tubular Bells notes at least an octave down to make them audible
Test video:
https://youtu.be/OCAmDuz-DOs

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper