VOGONS

Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Topic actions

Reply 200 of 324, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its card working fine with Win9x or Win98 dos mode?

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 201 of 324, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also checked out compatibility list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cvhr6 … K4l0/edit#gid=0
There is not i815, but there is i810 and its proven with Yamahas, but in PC/PCI mode, not with DSDMA..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 202 of 324, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ruthan wrote on 2020-06-15, 14:18:

Its card working fine with Win9x or Win98 dos mode?

It's a DOS only machine - no Win9x to test.

#1 VIA C3 Ezra-T 1.0GHz / MSI MS-6368 / Voodoo2+ViRGE GX / SBPro2+YMF744+AWE64+SC-7
#2 Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.40GHz / QDI A10T / Voodoo3 3000+GF4 Ti4200 / Audigy+AU8830+SC-50

Reply 203 of 324, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It make sense to connect second this for testing, install Windows 98 would take hour, i thing that you spend already on that much more time.

Reply 204 of 324, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If setupds /s could see DMA set to 1 and dsdma could also load and only crash when games run, I would suspect ems might be the culprit. Try moving emm386's page frame to D000 from E000.

Slow down your CPU with CPUSPD for DOS retro gaming.

Reply 205 of 324, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The applications and games crash with NOEMS and with I=D000-E000 as well. They run fine with Audigy.

#1 VIA C3 Ezra-T 1.0GHz / MSI MS-6368 / Voodoo2+ViRGE GX / SBPro2+YMF744+AWE64+SC-7
#2 Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.40GHz / QDI A10T / Voodoo3 3000+GF4 Ti4200 / Audigy+AU8830+SC-50

Reply 206 of 324, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm gonna set up a test bench and see what results I get. If it works for me, then it may just be some issue with the BIOS on your motherboard.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 207 of 324, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-06-15, 23:30:

I'm gonna set up a test bench and see what results I get. If it works for me, then it may just be some issue with the BIOS on your motherboard.

Thanks, try running MpxPlay or Cubic Player after running dsdma.exe. If they don't crash, then it's my BIOS.

Reply 208 of 324, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
enaiel wrote on 2020-06-16, 02:07:
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-06-15, 23:30:

Thanks, try running MpxPlay or Cubic Player after running dsdma.exe. If they don't crash, then it's my BIOS.

Ok.. so the motherboard I have is an ASUS CUSL2-C. Not the exact same chipset as it is the 815EP and the southbridge is ICH2 so I don't think this is really gonna help.

I'll see if I can find a regular 815 / ICH1 chipset board as I am now almost 100% sure I don't have one.

Edit: Regular 815 / ICH1 motherboards are crazy hard to find.... even 815P (no onboard video) boards are hard to find.

Edit 2: Looks like maybe some 815E boards may have come with the ICH1 as well... but not finding any specifics. According to the datasheet, it looks like the 815E could have been paired with the ICH1 or the ICH2.

I did find a few non-OEM 815 models that have the ICH1 (FW82801AA) southbridge:
ACORP 6A815 - I ordered one of these.
Chaintech 6OJV0
Intel D815BN

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 209 of 324, by AlephZaku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm getting a lot of crackling with the MIDI/some instruments seem like they're playing way louder than they're supposed to. Any idea how to fix that? Tertz mentioned using YMF7x4Utilities, but I have an English copy of Windows 98 installed so I'm not getting readable text when I try to run it.

(Removed previous comment about certain games having sound issues -- my SET BLASTER line got deleted somehow, and that was the culprit).

Reply 210 of 324, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlephZaku wrote on 2020-06-20, 18:46:

I'm getting a lot of crackling with the MIDI/some instruments seem like they're playing way louder than they're supposed to. Any idea how to fix that? Tertz mentioned using YMF7x4Utilities, but I have an English copy of Windows 98 installed so I'm not getting readable text when I try to run it.

(Removed previous comment about certain games having sound issues -- my SET BLASTER line got deleted somehow, and that was the culprit).

well, if its windows 9x there is one best overall driver version listed in the beginning of this thread that i use for dos and win9x.
Else, within windows there is dos mode or perhaps windows 2000 with dosbox
there are driver bundles with dos volume controls
different vendors may use same chip but driver gets customized to suit other sound card components such as frequency range of amplifiers with consideration of capacitors, transistors etc.
Often trying different driver versions usually finds the correct driver version / revision. Sometimes another vendors driver is better.
Best drivers are bundles; they usually come as an cdrom iso or an executable.
Bundles have windows drivers, dos drivers and dos volume control to manually
re adjust volume levels.
Driver versions usually cause of distortion anyhow.

Reply 211 of 324, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure if this is a good question.

I was just wondering why the Yamaha YMF704 family doesn't seem to fall under the "Yamaha YMF7x4" umbrella?

It fits the naming mask. But perhaps it is a completely different sub architecture.

Reply 212 of 324, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shreddoc wrote on 2020-07-07, 14:15:

I was just wondering why the Yamaha YMF704 family doesn't seem to fall under the "Yamaha YMF7x4" umbrella?

It fits the naming mask. But perhaps it is a completely different sub architecture.

The YMF704 is the OPL4 synth chip and has top be paired with other chips to be used... or at least that is the simple-ish explanation.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 213 of 324, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-07-07, 14:38:
Shreddoc wrote on 2020-07-07, 14:15:
Not sure if this is a good question. […]
Show full quote

my

The YMF704 is the OPL4 synth chip and has top be paired with other chips to be used... or at least that is the simple-ish explanation.

Thanks, that explains why a recent search of mine for separate chip drivers (for a card which includes a 704) was barking up the wrong tree. That is, the drivers must deal with the "pairing" details of the specific sound chip being interfaced with, as opposed to being a standalone driver. Anyway, due to the excellent Unisound project here, I will hopefully soon have the drivers I'm after.

Reply 214 of 324, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update, I got a 724 based card yesterday and tested it out, first experience with XG.

It's pretty impressive! for $10. Compared with the (ahem) quite-a-lot-more I paid for my SC-55. I think, soundwise, it is just as capable. Certainly once you PowerYMF it and use the 4.61MB extended bank, the XG MID's sound as good as anything I've heard out of my SC-55.

The sticking point which makes the SC-55 far superior in practice are the facts that you can use it's MIDI natively with the DOS era, and that a lot of game music was specifically made with the SC and therefore for actual gaming, all the instrument balances and stuff are "just right" with the SC. Plus all the enjoyment some people (like me) get out of having the actual hardware and shiny lights and buttons.

But yes, YMF724 = very impressive capabilities for a cheap card. If one were so inclined (I'm not) it's synth could even be MIDI/USB fed from a separate DOS machine then hardware-mixed back in with the DOS PCM, at the cost of some music latency.

Can now see why the MU- modules are a popular choice. Wonder how much better they sound than the extended YMF card. (wallet starts groaning...again....)

Reply 215 of 324, by Oerg866

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I'm trying to add support for my PCI-ISA-Bridge on ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA (Via 8237) to SETUPDS.EXE - as far as I'm aware it should work as VT8237 has DDMA support, right? The PCI ID I'm trying to inject is 1106 / 3337.

I replaced the 86 05 with 37 33 in the executable using a hex editor and it still greys out listing PC-PCI. Am I doing something wrong?

FYI I'm using a no-name YMF740 card.

Best regards,
Eric

Reply 216 of 324, by mattw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Oerg866

I don't believe VT8237x has DDMA, because you can read here:
PCI sound cards and Chipsets from various manufacturers...

On VT8237x, AFAIK only ESS Solo-1's DOS driver can still work in most scenarios.

and I read here:
Re: Cmedia CMI8738 - maybe its Biggest Secret

ESS Solo has its own i8237-style inside the chip, they called that TDMA (Transparent DMA) as it doesn't depend on the i8237 inside the chipset

So, in very short motherboard chipset has DDMA only if that chipset provides "i8237"-compatible core inside, but you can read in more details if you follow the above link.

Reply 217 of 324, by Prez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all !

I have a Sony PCG-C1VE, very neat little portable with a Yamaha YMF754 inside. I did successfully installed a 2006 VXD version drivers so i have sound and some legacy sound under W98SE.
But under MSDOS, i can't make a setupds.exe, even a modded one, to work properly. Everything is grayed out, no choice of whatever, no sound (but FM music ok).

So I did modify to test severval versions of setupds.exe program, version 3.16, to match the PCI ID of the ISA bridge (Intel) or the northbridge (Transmeta).

I followed this post:
"Modified the SETUPDS utility so I'm now able to use DDMA mode on a VIA KT133E/686B platform. Used the version on Yamaha's site and modified offset AEC0 and AEC1 from 96 05 to 86 06 (the PCI ID of the "PCI-to-ISA bridge").
Nice guide BTW. 😀"

With these values, the chipset inside this Sony :

Bus 0 (PCI), Device Number 0, Device Function 0
Vendor 1279h Transmeta Corp
Device 0395h LongRun Northbridge
Command 0006h (Memory Access, BusMaster)
Status 2200h (Received Master Abort, Medium Timing)
Revision 00h, Header Type 80h, Bus Latency Timer 00h
Self test 00h (Self test not supported)
PCI Class Bridge, type PCI to HOST
Subsystem ID 02951279h Unknown
Subsystem Vendor 1279h Transmeta Corp
Address 0 is a Memory Address (0-4GiB) : FC100000h

Bus 0 (PCI), Device Number 7, Device Function 0
Vendor 8086h Intel Corporation
Device 7110h 82371EB/MB PIIX4E/M ISA Bridge
Command 000Fh (I/O Access, Memory Access, BusMaster, Special Cycles)
Status 0280h (Supports Back-To-Back Trans., Medium Timing)
Revision 02h, Header Type 80h, Bus Latency Timer 00h
Self test 00h (Self test not supported)
PCI Class Bridge, type PCI to ISA

But nothing changed, nothing worked as expected 🙁 any clues ?

Best regards
Philippe Dubois

Old computers and videogames freak
President of french association https://mo5.com
Get better, get old ! 😁

Reply 218 of 324, by Prez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I put a lot of screenshots and modified setupds.exe files here :
Re: Problems with a YMF754 inside a Sony PCG-C1VE

Old computers and videogames freak