VOGONS

Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Topic actions

Reply 220 of 332, by Prez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Riikcakirds wrote on 2020-12-26, 00:52:

Read through the thread and couldn't find an answer. What is the reason why everyone uses SETUPDS version 3.16 and not the later version 3.17.

Hi ! It seems i don't have it.
Do you have or can make a direct link to download this version please, so i can give a try ?

Best regards
Philippe Dubois

Old computers and videogames freak
President of french association https://mo5.com
Get better, get old ! 😁

Reply 221 of 332, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There were some unofficial patches for 3.16 or 3.14, to make it running on more chipsets..There was link to download page, where it was described somewhere in Vogons..
Hmm. links from 1# post are mostly dead, so try to use internet Wayback machine with them 2,3 years ago time period.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 222 of 332, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ruthan wrote on 2020-12-26, 16:04:

There were some unofficial patches for 3.16 or 3.14, to make it running on more chipsets..There was link to download page, where it was described somewhere in Vogons..
Hmm. links from 1# post are mostly dead, so try to use internet Wayback machine with them 2,3 years ago time period.

Ver 3.17 did fix a problem I have with IRQ being set to 127.

This was the update log on what was new/fixed in setupds.

Version 3.17 (11/15/99)
- Fixed the problem that INTA# IRQ was sometime set to 127 when INTA# was shared
with other devices.
Version 3.16 (11/1/99)
- Warm reset will be issued when the AC97 devices go into the power down mode. (For
YMF744, 754 only.)
- Fixed the problems that happened with specific systems using PIIX4 chipset.

Reply 223 of 332, by Prez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Riikcakirds wrote on 2020-12-27, 23:18:
Ver 3.17 did fix a problem I have with IRQ being set to 127. […]
Show full quote

Version 3.17 (11/15/99)
- Fixed the problem that INTA# IRQ was sometime set to 127 when INTA# was shared
with other devices.
Version 3.16 (11/1/99)
- Warm reset will be issued when the AC97 devices go into the power down mode. (For
YMF744, 754 only.)

Do you have a link to the 3.17 version please ?

Best regards
Philippe Dubois

Old computers and videogames freak
President of french association https://mo5.com
Get better, get old ! 😁

Reply 224 of 332, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Prez wrote on 2020-12-28, 07:16:
Do you have a link to the 3.17 version please ? […]
Show full quote
Riikcakirds wrote on 2020-12-27, 23:18:
Ver 3.17 did fix a problem I have with IRQ being set to 127. […]
Show full quote

Version 3.17 (11/15/99)
with other devices.
Version 3.16 (11/1/99)
YMF744, 754 only.)

Do you have a link to the 3.17 version please ?

Best regards
Philippe Dubois

I will attach it to this post. Can't remember exactly what website I got version 3.17 from now, it was some website with a Drapeau du Pays de Galles on it I downloaded in 2001. I'm trying to find in on archive.org because i'm certain there was also a version 3.18 released in January 2000. I will have a look on my old dos hard drive if I can find it. Can't seem to find any existence of it on the internet now.

(only attaching setupds.exe , all other files the same as 3.16)

Filename
setupds 3.17.7z
File size
69.02 KiB
Downloads
150 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 226 of 332, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Crackling may be caused by too high maximum volume. Sometimes it's because driver allows to set the volume too high, when it was taken from another card. With VxD drivers you may fix it in registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\YAMAHA\Driver\YMF724\VolumeMax, or by YMF7x4Utilities.

Sorry, but I fail to do further steps. What do I need to change in the registry to have a lower max sound or what should I press in this Japanese program? Thanks.

Yamaha.jpg
Filename
Yamaha.jpg
File size
112.6 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 227 of 332, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vorob wrote on 2021-04-14, 10:25:

Hi, i've got a laptop with 754. In Audio Mixer i've got a 3D Wide regulator. What is it and why it is turned off by default?

It's some king of DSP effect that should try to enhance stereo effect but I would call it rather sound crippling so it's better to have it disabled, at least for listnening music.

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 228 of 332, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, i've got a laptop with 754. In Audio Mixer i've got a 3D Wide regulator. What is it and why it is turned off by default?

What laptop is it and what driver are you using?

Working on getting a working VXD driver for Sony laptops with the 754 and anything helps.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 229 of 332, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-04-14, 16:21:

Working on getting a working VXD driver for Sony laptops with the 754 and anything helps.

It’s all here: Toshiba 2805-s402 Ultimate retro gaming laptop

Didn’t it help?

Reply 230 of 332, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vorob wrote on 2021-04-14, 17:59:
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-04-14, 16:21:

It’s all here: Toshiba 2805-s402 Ultimate retro gaming laptop

Didn’t it help?

Ah, ok. I still haven't had a chance to try the Toshiba driver.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 231 of 332, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mockingbird wrote on 2020-01-16, 03:00:
Are you talking about King's Quest VI? […]
Show full quote

Are you talking about King's Quest VI?

I just tested with an ESS1869 and it crashes with it (whole system crash).

It ran fine with the Yamaha and DSDMA TSR loaded. Totally stable and went relatively far into the game with narration without any glitches.

It also crashed with a Crystal ISA card. Seems like a very finicky game when it comes to sound cards.

I just want to update this...

So the YM7x4 tests I was conducting was on an Asus P5A board with the SB-Link header soldered in. S-IRQ became selectable in setupds.exe, but evidently, I can conclude that the SBLink implementation in the Aladdin V chipset is unusuable. Also, following the assumption that (at least) relatively newer PCI motherboards with ISA slots (from the late 90s) actually use a PCI to ISA bridge, the Aladdin V's bridge also seems defective in that regard, because I had issues with ISA sound cards.

I just tested KQ6 with a YMF724 using SBLink on an Asus P2B-S, and it worked perfectly fine, no TSRs, and no need to fiddle with any settings. And this system is even running at 1.4Ghz with 768MB RAM.

What did not work was General MIDI in the sound settings... But I've seen that discussed here so I'll leave that.

I want to test the game "Quarantine" to see if it works. Someone else mentioned in their blog that it doesn't with this configuration.

EDIT (08/14/2021):

Well, here we go again.

I thought this setup was stable, but it is not. Again, the card is setup with S-IRQ and PC-PCI in setupds.exe and setupds.exe is run via autoexec.bat with the /s switch at boot for initialization (not a TSR).

I want those who are claiming the high rate of compatibility to do this (with the SBLink cable installed):

1) Run King's Quest with Sound Blaster/ SBPro selected in the setup
2) Make sure the option is enabled to use your system's extended memory
2) When you are on the beach, keep clicking on your purse. It should say "Alexander is carrying: nothing".

It will eventually crash and hard lock the system.

So this is not AMD K6/2 & Aladdin V specific.

I dunno, maybe this game doesn't like the high clock speed (again, PIII-S @ 1.4Ghz on BX).

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 232 of 332, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have sb-link connected with 724 and i815 board, but the IRQ and IRQ mode in setupds is greyed out. Now I can only get FM in DOS.
Am I connecting them wrong? The header on both sides have no hint of the plug orientation.😁

Checked this thread AW744L II - YMF744 - AOpen Cobra Sound Card - Install SB-Link Header
And make sure they are correctly connected, still not working. There's no PCI ISA settings or DMA settings in BIOS.

EDIT:
Use setupds 3.16 and the DMA mode can be set to S-IRQ, but get a "Cannot detect interrupt at..." error. Then I reversed one side of sb-link connector and everything works fine now.

Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300 - YMF744, Savage IX
Toshiba Satellite 2805-S501 - YMF754, GeForce 2Go
IBM Thinkpad A21p - CS4624, Mobility Radeon 128
main: Intel NUC11PHKi7C Phantom Canyon: i7-1165G7 RTX2060 64G 2T760PSDD

Reply 233 of 332, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
crazii wrote on 2021-12-08, 14:52:
I have sb-link connected with 724 and i815 board, but the IRQ and IRQ mode in setupds is greyed out. Now I can only get FM in DO […]
Show full quote

I have sb-link connected with 724 and i815 board, but the IRQ and IRQ mode in setupds is greyed out. Now I can only get FM in DOS.
Am I connecting them wrong? The header on both sides have no hint of the plug orientation.😁

Checked this thread AW744L II - YMF744 - AOpen Cobra Sound Card - Install SB-Link Header
And make sure they are correctly connected, still not working. There's no PCI ISA settings or DMA settings in BIOS.

EDIT:
Use setupds 3.16 and the DMA mode can be set to S-IRQ, but get a "Cannot detect interrupt at..." error. Then I reversed one side of sb-link connector and everything works fine now.

I think you need the modified setupds. The download is available at Phil's Computer Lab.

I tested this with my 724 and 845 (ICH2) motherboard last night and it worked fine. Confirmed by unplugging/plugging back in the SB-Link header and doing the tests. Everything worked (Set to S-IRQ, and PC/PCI was automatically selected and greyed out), but "SB 8-bit audio" was silent unless the cable was plugged in (The Native audio and FM tests worked with the cable plugged out).

EDIT: Ok, I see your edit now. You had the SB-Link plugged in the wrong way.

Now for my question: Can you please test Turrican 2 and see if the sound works with just the SB Link and nothing else (no TSRs, drivers, or otherwise... Just the set blaster variable)?

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 234 of 332, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Turrican 2 is very picky.. even no machines where most of other games are working.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 235 of 332, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote on 2021-12-08, 17:45:

Turrican 2 is very picky.. even no machines where most of other games are working.

So I've read... I'm going to test it with an ISA card on a different motherboard for a sanity check, just to make certain that there's nothing wrong with my (downloaded) copy.

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 236 of 332, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mockingbird wrote on 2021-12-08, 16:49:
I think you need the modified setupds. The download is available at Phil's Computer Lab. […]
Show full quote
crazii wrote on 2021-12-08, 14:52:
I have sb-link connected with 724 and i815 board, but the IRQ and IRQ mode in setupds is greyed out. Now I can only get FM in DO […]
Show full quote

EDIT:

I think you need the modified setupds. The download is available at Phil's Computer Lab.

I tested this with my 724 and 845 (ICH2) motherboard last night and it worked fine. Confirmed by unplugging/plugging back in the SB-Link header and doing the tests. Everything worked (Set to S-IRQ, and PC/PCI was automatically selected and greyed out), but "SB 8-bit audio" was silent unless the cable was plugged in (The Native audio and FM tests worked with the cable plugged out).

EDIT: Ok, I see your edit now. You had the SB-Link plugged in the wrong way.

Now for my question: Can you please test Turrican 2 and see if the sound works with just the SB Link and nothing else (no TSRs, drivers, or otherwise... Just the set blaster variable)?

I tested Turrican 2 just now without TSR and it ain't having any sound.

Reply 237 of 332, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I checked my old research:
https://sheet.zohopublic.com/sheet/published/ … 04bf92a9209e034

It needs to be run in Realmode and i never made it working properly with newer chipsets and PCI sound cards, best what i was working sound with will some periodical ticking noise.

Reply 238 of 332, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote on 2021-12-09, 18:24:

I checked my old research:
https://sheet.zohopublic.com/sheet/published/ … 04bf92a9209e034

It needs to be run in Realmode and i never made it working properly with newer chipsets and PCI sound cards, best what i was working sound with will some periodical ticking noise.

First I'm going to see if my setup is ok. There seem to be two different "abandonware" versions floating around. The common 2.1mb distribution and one which has some intricate configuration schema where you place a directory on your hard drive called "turrican.cfg", and in that directory is the turrican.cfg file.

Fortunately, there is a setup.exe in the c:\turrican directory, unfortunately, it shoots a runtime error when it is executed... I don't know if I need to slow down my CPU or something. I have a multiplier unlocked PII 400, I can go as low as 3.0x66 and perhaps disable L2 cache and see if that makes a difference.

I am having no success with ISA cards, not an ESS 1869 nor a Yahama 719. So I put in a non-PNP SB16 (tested working in Windows, added through a manual hardware scan where it was detected along with its gameport), best I could get was some very faint crackling noises with the odd settings that come in the stock turrican.cfg file, so I'm working on that now (I need to install the non-PNP sbbasic.exe drivers, but it's detecting my DOS 7.1 as Windows 95 and refusing to run).

My ideal setup would be SB-Link using ESS Solo, but if I can't get that working, then SB16 is looking like the most likely candidate for my rig.

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 239 of 332, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep I modified the cfg file to set the correct DMA, but no sound. Guess it's too picky 😁.
There is a omd folder besides msd, dunno the difference but I tried that in cfg but still no.