VOGONS

PCI Sound card for Windows 3.11 & Dos 6.22?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 63, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
OMORES wrote on 2020-06-12, 09:47:
Jo22 wrote on 2020-06-11, 15:30:

I believe I do have some backups of my configuration mentioned above.
Not sure if they are helpful, though, since they use older/different drivers..

Can't wait... I have the files: windrv.z (71k) legacy.z (456k) & sndset.z (2.2mb) - but 7zip/WinRar can t decode them.

Ok. I'll have a look at this over weekend. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 41 of 63, by JonnyGators

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
OMORES wrote on 2020-06-11, 15:18:
Just another witness of PCI sound in Windows 3.11... […]
Show full quote

Just another witness of PCI sound in Windows 3.11...

So..., I just received an Creative ES1371 Sound card (the chip is actually 1373) - I installed it - and tried the official driver from: 7501748.exe. No luck - the driver apparently installs - asks to restart computer but no file is copied or anything changed.

Then, I tried Watler's driver . http://turkeys4me.byethost4.com/programs/index.htm

Installation is simple enough: 1) copy crea1371.dll in Windows folder, 2) edit system.ini [drivers] wave=crea1371.dll - and ta da...! I was so convinced I have to fiddle around to hear a sound, but no... it worked at first restart... (and still works after another few restarts)

Now the bad part: sound will lag if I listen to an mp3 and move the mouse, it has some DJing effect... 😀) I don t think Ryzen 3900x is to blame for being to slow...

Can anyone give me a zip with installed drivers to manually copy the files and make some edits... Please.

es1373.png

This doesn't work!

So much misinformation, incomplete information, confusing information.......why does it seem no one around here gives clear complete step by step instrucions? Do you realize how much time it wastes for people to come here to find an answer - only to find a bunch of partial things, or incomplete things, or things that plain and simple don't work?

Please, people, for the love of god, make a little effort to give complete instructions around here.

Reply 42 of 63, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JonnyGators wrote on 2020-11-01, 20:33:

Please, people, for the love of god, make a little effort to give complete instructions around here.

Are you expecting someone to know what you're doing wrong after posting "This doesn't work!" ?

If you want complete instructions, you will need to supply a complete description of your problem.

So much misinformation, incomplete information, confusing information.......why does it seem no one around here gives clear complete step by step instrucions? Do you realize how much time it wastes for people to come here to find an answer - only to find a bunch of partial things, or incomplete things, or things that plain and simple don't work?

Yes, dealing with hardware and software from twenty years ago is often a confusing and frustrating process requiring a great deal of patience.

Reply 43 of 63, by cprieto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know this is a very old thread but I want to report my experiences with some of the info showed here:

I own a Creative CT4810, with a much newer chip (CT2518) and I tried the same driver for ES1371 and as many others, it just installs and tells you that it will restart Windows and nothing happens. The installer has a Windrv.z file with the following content:

- EAPCI.386
- EAPCI31.DRV
- EAPCI31.HLP
- MIDIMAP.CFG
- MSMIXMGR.DLL

Meanwhile, I had been able to make it work with the driver at http://turkeys4me.byethost4.com/programs/index.htm without problems, just changing the system.ini and copying the file, it doesn't even need to load the DOS driver with APINIT and APLOAD in Autoexec.bat.

Thanks!

Reply 44 of 63, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote on 2020-06-13, 07:42:
OMORES wrote on 2020-06-12, 09:47:
Jo22 wrote on 2020-06-11, 15:30:

I believe I do have some backups of my configuration mentioned above.
Not sure if they are helpful, though, since they use older/different drivers..

Can't wait... I have the files: windrv.z (71k) legacy.z (456k) & sndset.z (2.2mb) - but 7zip/WinRar can t decode them.

Ok. I'll have a look at this over weekend. 😀

Hi, sorry for the delay.. I've found my old CF card. It was upgraded (or downgraded) to Windows 95, though..
The backup is missing DEFAULT.ECW, however. No idea were it went. Must be placed into %windir%\system I believe.
Details see the config files. Good luck!

Attachments

• Filename
    config_back.zip
    File size
    415.02 KiB
    Downloads
    91 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 45 of 63, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2021-05-05, 03:22:

Thanks!

ALS4000 must be mentioned in this thread... If there are no IRQ conflicts, you just run setup and you have sound in Windows 3.11. Is that simple. I think it took me 2 minutes to hear sound in Windows 3.11 using a PCI card and I wasn't ready for that...

But not all PCI slots are equal... If you can't run this card in DOS - won't work in Windows 3.11 either. (classic DMA/DDMA issue )

I tried this card on a newer system, the DOS config app recognized the card on IRQ12 and 10. I did manage to get it on IRQ 5, but that DMA error message it's a dead end. Windows 3.11 will hang at startup. Of course, this has no effect in 32bit Windows - works perfectly in NT 3.51 and later. ( even in very new hardware configurations that use PCI-E to PCI bridge chips)

Attachments

Reply 46 of 63, by Stainlesscat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys

i wanna add that the vortex 1 au8820 chipset has windows 3.1 drivers. they even work without relying on legacy dma features that other pci sounds require.

i attached the drivers to this post.

Attachments

• Filename
    au8820win31.zip
    File size
    4.55 MiB
    Downloads
    77 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 47 of 63, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stainlesscat wrote on 2021-12-06, 21:45:

Hi guys

i wanna add that the vortex 1 au8820 chipset has windows 3.1 drivers. they even work without relying on legacy dma features that other pci sounds require.

i attached the drivers to this post.

I downloaded this driver, and gave it a go with a Soyo 5EHM VIA MVP3/K6-2/500 - and it works*, both in DOS and Windows 3.11.

*I had to replace ASP4DOS.COM with a newer version from Windows 9x drivers. The included version [(C)1998] was causing a loopy blinking cursor in DOS 6.22. DOS "7" from Win95A bootdisk reported this as a divide overflow error.

Well, the general idea was that PCI sound cards in Windows 3.11 are a no go... But there are at least three options: ESS Solo, ALS4000 and AU8820. Probably the original Ensoniq ES1370 cards do work in Windows 3.11. Those from Creative - definitely do not work with Ensoniq drivers, but there are unofficial drivers.

Also some Crystal PCI sound cards do have Windows 3.1 drivers, but I haven't tested any.

This list might get bigger...

Attachments

• vortex1_@.jpg
    Filename
    vortex1_@.jpg
    File size
    382.05 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • vortex1.jpg
    Filename
    vortex1.jpg
    File size
    247.72 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • divide_overflow.jpg
    Filename
    divide_overflow.jpg
    File size
    90.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 48 of 63, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found another ZIP with Aureal 8820 drivers with a slightly different file size. Not sure if it's another version.

Attachments

• Filename
    win31x_eng310.zip
    File size
    4.55 MiB
    Downloads
    51 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

YouTube

Reply 49 of 63, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rawit wrote on 2021-12-08, 08:12:

I found another ZIP with Aureal 8820 drivers with a slightly different file size. Not sure if it's another version.

I think there is only one version in the wild for Windows 3.11... ver. 3.1 from 4/29/1998 - I would gladly test any other version.

Unfortunately, this version doesn't work on newer motherboards - even if AU8820 works fine in DOS! So, there might be some chipset magic embedded into .386/.vxd driver files because AU8820 is recognized instantly on a VIA VMP3 motherboard, using a Windows 3.11 installation (with Aureal drivers) from another computer. But when the same drive is plugged on a newer motherboard I get the same error as if the card is not plugged in: "Couldn't get VxD API". I tested here several Intel/AMD motherboards in DOS with AU8820 and none of them is recognizing AU8820 in Windows 3.11.

Attachments

• no_vxd.jpg
    Filename
    no_vxd.jpg
    File size
    181.84 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 50 of 63, by Stainlesscat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
OMORES wrote on 2021-12-08, 15:57:
Rawit wrote on 2021-12-08, 08:12:

I think there is only one version in the wild for Windows 3.11... ver. 3.1 from 4/29/1998 - I would gladly test any other version.

Unfortunately, this version doesn't work on newer motherboards - even if AU8820 works fine in DOS! So, there might be some chipset magic embedded into .386/.vxd driver files because AU8820 is recognized instantly on a VIA VMP3 motherboard, using a Windows 3.11 installation (with Aureal drivers) from another computer. But when the same drive is plugged on a newer motherboard I get the same error as if the card is not plugged in: "Couldn't get VxD API". I tested here several Intel/AMD motherboards in DOS with AU8820 and none of them is recognizing AU8820 in Windows 3.11.

i believe the reason why the windows driver fail to work because the driver code is not programmed to work with the aureal chipset behind an PCI bridge. which is similar how the 9x drivers throw an error talking about not being on the primary PCI bus, that error box "Couldn't get VxD API" is major sign of the side effects. Maybe it can work with a secret win.ini setting?, kinda like how the aureal win9x driver has an registry key that makes it ignore primary bus error.

the "ASP4DOS" TSR is it's own real mode DOS driver design to work independently from windows and then so has support for working with the sound card behind an PCI bridge and other unusual PCI Buses.

Although i could mistaken that error for something else, correct me if i'm wrong if this is something else entirely.

Btw i've got this sound card working in a Windows 3.11 KVM Virtual machine using PCI Passthrough on c602 chipset motherboard. I noticed the VM makes any device attached to it behave like it's on the primary bus of the VM, at least thats how windows 98 & Windows 2000 device manager sees it. "maybe the emulated 440fx & PIIX3 chipsets on QEMU maybe gives it support? idk really..."

Reply 51 of 63, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think PCI-E to PCI bridges are the problem in my system. Didn't get any PCI related errors while installing Windows 95A, 98, Me, NT 3.51, NT4 etc.

I have tested 2 Realtek PCI cards (8029/8139) which have Windows 3.1 drivers (although I suspect they rely mostly on DOS NDIS driver). Right now I'm using an Intel PCI-E gigabit card with DOS NDIS drivers and it works... (see photo)

On the same system with AU8820 I have a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI which is working behind a PCI-E to PCI bridge in Windows 3.11. I mean the installation is all natural, no errors, I get 1280x1024 by simply restarting Windows after driver installation is done.

Also I tested AU8820 on a H55, Q67 and Z68 Intel chipsets (with native PCI support) and while the card works fine in DOS - it's non-existent in Windows 3.11.

I took a peek inside the driver files - and there are plenty errors related to PCI - but none of them is showing up. I will investigate further...

Some other PCI sound cards from the same era are trying to detect at driver level if the motherboard is a Intel FX or Intel TX... (there is a thread here, somewhere) - I suspect something similar is going on....

Attachments

Reply 52 of 63, by Zach1984

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cprieto wrote on 2021-01-26, 17:41:
I know this is a very old thread but I want to report my experiences with some of the info showed here: […]
Show full quote

I know this is a very old thread but I want to report my experiences with some of the info showed here:

I own a Creative CT4810, with a much newer chip (CT2518) and I tried the same driver for ES1371 and as many others, it just installs and tells you that it will restart Windows and nothing happens. The installer has a Windrv.z file with the following content:

- EAPCI.386
- EAPCI31.DRV
- EAPCI31.HLP
- MIDIMAP.CFG
- MSMIXMGR.DLL

Meanwhile, I had been able to make it work with the driver at http://turkeys4me.byethost4.com/programs/index.htm without problems, just changing the system.ini and copying the file, it doesn't even need to load the DOS driver with APINIT and APLOAD in Autoexec.bat.

Thanks!

Hi first time poster, but have been looking around for a while.
I was inspired to get es1371 pci sound card because of these drivers from turkeys4me. I was not able to make them work.

Can someone elaborate more on what is ment by changing the system.ini and copying the file.

What should be changed in the system in and what file is to be copied and where is it to be pasted?

Reply 53 of 63, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hi first time poster, but have been looking around for a while. I was inspired to get es1371 pci sound card because of these dri […]
Show full quote

Hi first time poster, but have been looking around for a while.
I was inspired to get es1371 pci sound card because of these drivers from turkeys4me. I was not able to make them work.

Can someone elaborate more on what is ment by changing the system.ini and copying the file.

What should be changed in the system in and what file is to be copied and where is it to be pasted?

Hi, on what hardware are you running Win 3.1? Does it start in enhanced mode? If so, you don't have to make any changes to any file, just install drivers ( turkeys4me) from control panel and system.ini will be automatically modified. This lines will be added:

[drivers]
wave=CT137X.DLL

If you can get an original ES1370 from Ensoniq you can use their drivers and install the card even on very modern hardware, right now I'm using an Audio 3000 PCI with ES1370 on a Ryzen 3900X - and it works perfectly. (MIDI also)

Attachments

Reply 54 of 63, by Zach1984

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi omores,
It's a 500mhz Celeron.
Maybe I have not installed the drivers correctly. I don't have any of these settings on my machine.
Or perhaps the card I got is not what it was advertised as. I think it is an es1371

Reply 55 of 63, by Zach1984

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not very good pictures, I didn't take them. They come from the auction that I got the card from.

Attachments

Reply 57 of 63, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zach1984 wrote on 2022-02-18, 22:24:

Anyone know if that is the correct card for those drivers?

Yes, the card should be OK... You still didn't specify the exact model, but this driver is kinda universal...

Did you test the card on Windows 95, 98? I have like 7 or 8 of these Creative sound cards in my collection (with ES137x ) and 2 of them are broken/bad/not working...

Reply 59 of 63, by Zach1984

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
OMORES wrote on 2022-02-19, 09:39:
Zach1984 wrote on 2022-02-18, 22:24:

Anyone know if that is the correct card for those drivers?

Yes, the card should be OK... You still didn't specify the exact model, but this driver is kinda universal...

Did you test the card on Windows 95, 98? I have like 7 or 8 of these Creative sound cards in my collection (with ES137x ) and 2 of them are broken/bad/not working...

No... I haven't. But I was beginning to wonder that too. I'll test it on another machine with a different os