VOGONS

First post, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I need to use some usb devices with a pci usb card, that 98 doesn't recognise without wanting drivers, which leaves me with either 2k or me (on a pentium 133, am guessing 2000 would be better for this because me wants a 150). Does 2000 use a sound cards' hardware midi/fm synth? Mainly wanting to use an ibm model m clone keyboard that's usb, and the generic purple usb-ps2 adapter doesn't work on it. Not worried about dos support because I have a sd-ide adapter that I can just swap over the card that dos is installed on.

Also, is it unwise to run 9x on an sd card? I'm told it's fine for dos but apparently things that use a swap file will wear the card out.

Reply 5 of 7, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:

XP still uses hardware FM or wavetable, so I guess 2000 should do too.

Unfortunately it depends on the driver. My Creative AudioPCI's wavetable doesn't work under XP SP3 because Microsoft's later driver apparently simply dropped all waveset support beyond M$' own softsynth...

Reply 6 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you also going to play Windows 3.1 games on that machine ?
If so, Windows 98/Me might be better for some of those games in terms of music.
- A few of them do directly program the PC-Speaker or the OPL3's registers.
I haven't tried yet, but perhaps PortTalk can be used to make their music play in the Win3.1 subsystem of Win NT ?

bluejeans wrote:

Also, is it unwise to run 9x on an sd card?

Not unwise per se, but perhaps less optimal ?
I'm not up-to-date anymore, but I believe SD cards do use 4K sectors internally now.

That's different from the CF cards I used to know, which used 512B sectors internally.
Anyway, I don't know if this still holds true for current CF cards.

Perhaps it's better to check alignment, anyway. It shouldn't hurt to have it aligned to 4K sectors.
Older versions of GParted had the ability to align these partitions to the MB boundaries..

Though, I don't know if moving an existing partition on flash media is a good idea.
Maybe it's better to backup all files manually and make a new (aligned) partition using GParted and restore them ?

bluejeans wrote:

I'm told it's fine for dos but apparently things that use a swap file will wear the card out.

There's a lot of disussion about this. Some people say it's bad, some say it's an urban legend and small writes are fine.
In case of DOS it's right for sure, however. It doesn't issue any writes of its own while running.
If you're worried about limited life time, try to get industrial flash media. They used to be based on SLC technology.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//