VOGONS

First post, by Redhair

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SWOS:
MIDI works, but the SB sound gets weird:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oulLosKHY88
This problem only exists under Windows, the sound is fine under DOS.
For now I only experienced this problem with SWOS, other DOS games seem to work fine under Windows.

Turrican II:
The game only runs in DOS without EMS. However, there is also a sound problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-ukJ4YoenY

I do not have these problems with other soundcards.
I've tried with two different PCs yet, one with Intel 865, the other with 875 chipset.

Have you ever experienced similar problems with this card and do you know if there's a way to fix it?

SWOS isn't just a game - it's a way of life!

Reply 1 of 8, by RegTheEvil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the exact same problem with Turrican 2 with Intel 845GE chipset (Compaq Presario SR1100SF). I have installed WIN98SE and trying this game under DOS Mode. I have Aureal Vortex AU8810A1 sound card. Turrican 2 has weid background noise when ever audio is playing. It stops when there is no audio. I would also like to know if there is any cure to this. Like a patch for that game? Or change some sound card settings? I already tried both IRQ 5 and 7 with no luck.

I can't say much about Windows stuff because I haven't used this card there much yet.

[EDIT: I tested sound card settings more with Turrican 2. Edited au10dos.ini and set SBFMIRQ 7, SBFMDMA 3, SBFMPORT 240 and also tested IRQ 5, DMA 3, Port 240 and then finally tested IRQ 5, DMA 1, Port 220 and used only 11000 Hz (instead of 22000 Hz) for audio with Turrican 2 and now the weird noise is slower and lower in pitch. Maybe somebody can tell what that is?]

AT2 & other music made by me + miscellaneous stuff
Comics made by me

Reply 2 of 8, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A bit of a bump, here is a recording of Turrican 2 running on my latest AU8830 Alpha drivers. There are still some issues with the game but at least the intro music plays now.

The original AU30DOS drivers weren't coded in a way to minimize TSR latency in "hispeed" modes, Turrican 2 does something interesting; it sets up a SB blockmode transfer of 0xFFFF bytes, but also sets the 8257 DMA controller count register to a smaller value of 0x98F.
This means the 8257 counter will reach TC (Terminal Count) and loop back to the original value before the SB blocksize reaches 0 and sends the card interrupt to the game, which is fine on real hardware, but what occurs in the AU30DOS driver is a massive latency spike as it updates the DMA counters, informing the game that the prior samples were read and that it can now do some updates on them.
The game then sends another 0x91 command to the card which will restart playback with the original values. On a real SoundBlaster board this is not an issue, as the 8257 will reload the original values and then DMA data into the SB, no strict timing is required. BUT on the Vortex 2's emulation...timing gets tricky.

The AU8830 chip doesn't automatically reload any Address or Count data when it reaches the end of a DMA buffer, it all has to be reprogrammed back to start during this short time period and causes major pops and clicks in the audio playback. The new driver programs the counters during playback so they are ready to go the next time any playback command is received, so all it has to do is restart the playback and it's mostly glitch free.

I'm really not sure about the issue in SWOS, I would have to get the game and go through it to know for sure what's happening.

Reply 3 of 8, by RegTheEvil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you happen to know are there any such drivers that would work with my version of Aureal? Right now I am listening your recording of Turrican 2 Theme song and it sounds very good! =)

Comics made by me

Reply 4 of 8, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No there aren't any sadly. There are two versions v2.007 and v2.00B, but the difference between the two is negligible. The v2.00B added some checks for game titles like Quake and sets the driver up for protected mode to avoid certain crashes which can happen in the v2.007 driver. Otherwise they are the same underlying code base.

Reply 5 of 8, by RegTheEvil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well if I find AU8830 cheap I will buy it. That card is supposed to be better anyway. Right now I am busy with other stuff but would like to update my retro computer at some point.

Are those drivers somewhere to be found for download? I couldn't find any Alpha drivers or drivers with the same version numbers. I could pre-download them and store in a safe place just in case. It is probably going to take a long time to buy it though.

I am supposed to buy Roland MT-32 next for music making and gaming but haven't been able to buy it because in eBay somebody always offers more. Hopefully Yahoo Auctions offer one in decent condition and not too pricey. May need to check that at some point.

Comics made by me

Reply 6 of 8, by RegTheEvil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZanQuance wrote on 2020-01-17, 02:31:

No there aren't any sadly. There are two versions v2.007 and v2.00B, but the difference between the two is negligible. The v2.00B added some checks for game titles like Quake and sets the driver up for protected mode to avoid certain crashes which can happen in the v2.007 driver. Otherwise they are the same underlying code base.

Any chance you could tell me where to download those drivers? I am not buying AU8830 just yet. Probably takes a long time but I need the drivers when I buy that card in the future. I just bought MT-32, FINALLY! It should arrive next week. Going to play with it for some time after it arrives.

Comics made by me