First post, by AEV80
Hi all, just have some questions I'm hoping you can help me with or point me to the relevant thread.
I take it for dos games you generally need the following:
Adlib (OPL) compatible
Soundblaster Pro 2 compatible
Soundblaster 16 compatible
Soundblaster AWE32 / AWE64
Plus say a Roland MT-32 and some other General Midi synth or waveboard.
1. For Adlib and SBPro games I was planning to use a Yamaha Audician 32.
2. Is the AWE32/AWE64 backwards compatible with all SB16 games? Do i really need to get a SB16 and if I do what''s a good clone (low noise) to get?
3. Are there any games that use OPL music with 16bit effects? Do I need a real OPL on a SB16 or AWE32 unless it's for playing games that came out pre SB16.
4. Are there any DOS games that actually used any extra RAM on the AWE32 above the 512Kb builtin (other than using Soundfonts for General Midi stuff)?
5. Is the AWE64 fully backwards compatible with the AWE32?
6. Are there many DOS games that actually used the features of the Gravis Ultrasound?
I'm open to all comments and advice.