VOGONS

First post, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know some of you are very knowledgable on sound cards so I wanted to ask for help on a card I just received - it was a free extra from a very nice eBay seller who seemed to think it was something pretty good. However, while it works the sound from it is pretty terrible sounding - I'm hoping someone here can tell me if there's something wrong with it or if I'm expecting too much. The sound has all the low frequencies missing, like listening through dollar-store headphones. This is on both Windows wave sound and from CD audio via the cable. All I've done so far is plug headphones into the output - there is only one audio out on the card, I did wonder at first if I'd plugged into a speaker rather than line output.

Image of the card here - it came with a manual and driver disk, it's branded as Trust and the manual calls it a "Sound Expert De Luxe Wave 32 3D".

Reply 1 of 6, by Andy1979

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First question - have you tried the card with some powered speakers to see if it's an issue specific to headphones?

A line out isn't usually powerful enough to drive headphones, but I can see from the photo that there is a 'TEA2025' chip on the board, which is an amplifier. There are two jumpers labelled JP2. It may be that these disable the on-board amp, hence the issues you are having. Try moving them to the alternate position and see what happens.

I'm not sure the Opti cards were ever that great to be honest. I've just put an 82C925 in my 386 - happy to have working sound, but it's very noisy - there's an audible click when the drivers load and the music on some games just sounds "off" for some reason.

My Retro systems:
1. Pentium 200, 64mb EDO RAM, Matrox Millennium 2mb, 3DFX Voodoo 4mb, DOS6.22 / Win95 / Win98SE
2. Compaq Armada M700 laptop, PIII-450, Win98SE
3. Core2Duo E6600, ATI Radeon 4850, Win XP

Reply 3 of 6, by Andy1979

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Assume you have already found this page with the original manual and drivers: http://www.trust.com/en/product/09245-sound-e … luxe-wave-32-3d

There is a "3D" setting on the card, which could maybe be doing something weird to the sound?

You could also try turning WSS mode on/off in case it's that, but I am guessing here. Maybe someone else has some suggestions? If nothing changes it then perhaps the card is defective?

My Retro systems:
1. Pentium 200, 64mb EDO RAM, Matrox Millennium 2mb, 3DFX Voodoo 4mb, DOS6.22 / Win95 / Win98SE
2. Compaq Armada M700 laptop, PIII-450, Win98SE
3. Core2Duo E6600, ATI Radeon 4850, Win XP

Reply 4 of 6, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well. this is embarrassing. Through my amp the card sounds fine, so I guess everything is good =D I've never seen a sound card that couldn't drive headphones without issue and didn't give it a second thought...guess this modern technology has spoiled me. Thanks all

Reply 5 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi! 😀 I'm testing an OPTI 82C931 right now. Sound is clean, as far as I can tell.
I'm using jumper setting for Line-Out. Mixer is set to "MIX" and Line-In/Mic levels are zero.
Main Mixer is at 52%.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That looks like a decent card with onboard midi. Not often you see the Opti 82C941 chip for midi.

The only bad thing about the board is that it doesn't have real OPL3. The FM on the Opti chips is supposed to be really bad, but if you always use the onboard midi it isn't going to matter much except for games that don't support midi.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK