VOGONS

First post, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What im looking for is a way to play the music from the games on my real mt-32 module.
werent there a pice of software for it once?

Reply 1 of 16, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you mean a midi player? they are a dime a dozen. dos, linux, windows..

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 2 of 16, by m5215tx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Notation Player 3 is what I use for Windows which is free software. It's neat in that you see all the music as sheet music while it plays. Of course, there are many other MIDI players out there.

http://www.notation.com/DownloadNotationPlayer.php

Roland MT-32 (old), CM-32LN, SC-55, SC-88VL, MT-120, SD-35, SD-20, SD-80, SD-90
Yamaha TG100, TG300, MDF2, MU15, MU100, MU2000EX + PLG150-DR + PLG150-PF + PLG150-VL
KORG NS5R, X5DR
AKAI SG01k
KAWAI GMega
KETRON SD2

Reply 4 of 16, by m5215tx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use Notation Player 3 with my MT-32 and I have a number of MIDI files specifically for use with the MT-32 and they work perfectly. According to the notes for the MIDI files, they support SysEx. I got the MT-32 MIDI files from the link below. They have a great collection of older game MIDI files.

http://www.midimusicadventures.com/queststudi … te-soundtracks/

Yamaha TG100, TG300, MDF2, MU15, MU100, MU2000EX + PLG150-DR + PLG150-PF + PLG150-VL
KORG NS5R, X5DR
AKAI SG01k
KAWAI GMega
KETRON SD2

Reply 6 of 16, by m5215tx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nic-93 wrote:

I do download the music from there regularely, kind of a shame there aint any other roland midi collections.

I totally agree. If you come across any good sources for MT-32 or Roland GS MIDI music let me know. I also have a Yamaha MU100 so I am searching for a good source of Yamaha XG MIDI music as well.

KORG NS5R, X5DR
AKAI SG01k
KAWAI GMega
KETRON SD2

Reply 7 of 16, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
I have recently added the ability to load accompanying .syx files together with midi files. So e.g. in case of Monkey Ireland 2 MT-32 midi files where the pairs are usually look like MI2_1.mid and MI2_1.syx the syx files are automatically loaded/sent before the midi file. My player also supports Mt-32 custom reset sysex messages as well as you can also send a special MT2GM sysex (included) that provides limited GM compatibility
http://falcosoft.hu/softwares.html#midiplayer.
Since you want to use a real MT-32 it's not relevant for you but Munt based Vsti plugin is also included.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 8 of 16, by m5215tx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:
Hi, I have recently added the ability to load accompanying .syx files together with midi files. So e.g. in case of Monkey Irelan […]
Show full quote

Hi,
I have recently added the ability to load accompanying .syx files together with midi files. So e.g. in case of Monkey Ireland 2 MT-32 midi files where the pairs are usually look like MI2_1.mid and MI2_1.syx the syx files are automatically loaded/sent before the midi file. My player also supports Mt-32 custom reset sysex messages as well as you can also send a special MT2GM sysex (included) that provides limited GM compatibility
Since you want to use a real MT-32 it's not relevant for you but Munt based Vsti plugin is also included.

Looks like a lot of work went into that MIDI player. I will have to check it out.

KORG NS5R, X5DR
AKAI SG01k
KAWAI GMega
KETRON SD2

Reply 9 of 16, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Falcosoft wrote:
Hi, I have recently added the ability to load accompanying .syx files together with midi files. So e.g. in case of Monkey Irelan […]
Show full quote

Hi,

hey, ill give your midi player a shot, and yes, its a real mt-32 im gonna use it with.

Last edited by Nic-93 on 2017-08-09, 17:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 16, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, Just a little startup guide for setting things up.
1. On the left side of the player there is a gear like icon. Here you can select your output port where your MT-32 connected to.
2. Also in this dialog on the Mixer part you should check 'Use sysex messages for volume/balance'. This way at least the volume slider should work with your external MT-32.
3. On the left side of the player press the uppermost button. Then select Instruments->Custom Patch definitions->Roland-MT32.ins. This way the proper instruments ar shown on the channels.
4. Right click the First Aid like icon called 'Reset' then 'Select/Send custom SysEx'->MT32_Reset.syx and make sure it is selected as Custom sysex. This way this reset sysex is sent before midi file playback and properly resets your synth ( you can also try the quasi GM mode this way: select MT32_GM_Mode.syx).

Pay attention that midiplayer's channel selector/virtual piano by default is set to channel 1 but the MT-32 cannot receive messages at channel 1 but 2..10 by default. So you should set the channel selector to 2..10 if you want to 'play' with the virtual piano

Reply 11 of 16, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most of the midi files im gonna play sem to have their syssex commands build into the file itself, but ill keep the folder in mind, anyone know where i can find chucks revenge? the mt 32 varient.

Reply 13 of 16, by RegTheEvil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2017-08-09, 15:16:
Show full quote

Hi,

Thanks, Falcosoft, for your midi player! I can finally loop midi files correctly when they have loop markers in them using Windows 98SE. I used Van Basco's before and it's otherwise fine but I couldn't figure out how to loop midi files properly.

Now I am experiencing a weird issue however. I downloaded Larry 3 MT-32 version midi file from this link (http://www.midimusicadventures.com/queststudi … te-soundtracks/) and played it with your player and Van Basco's in WIN98SE and GS Player under DOS and they all sounded slightly different than when I play that game in DOS. I try to figure out why this is the case.

AT2 & other music made by me + miscellaneous stuff
Comics made by me

Reply 14 of 16, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RegTheEvil wrote on 2020-03-10, 18:33:

Now I am experiencing a weird issue however. I downloaded Larry 3 MT-32 version midi file from this link (http://www.midimusicadventures.com/queststudi … te-soundtracks/) and played it with your player and Van Basco's in WIN98SE and GS Player under DOS and they all sounded slightly different than when I play that game in DOS. I try to figure out why this is the case.

Could be due to the fact that the Midi files alone don't contain the actual instrument patches do they? I know my Willy Beamish MT-32 files are 2 or 3 files for each song. Sierra games used custom instrument patches on most of their MT-32 soundtracks. So again if that instrument patch file isn't included with the midi file along with the sysex commands, then it would likely drop to some capital tone fallback and play a different instrument in place of what you are expecting?

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-11, 05:21. Edited 1 time in total.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 15 of 16, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RegTheEvil wrote on 2020-03-10, 18:33:

Thanks, Falcosoft, for your midi player! I can finally loop midi files correctly when they have loop markers in them using Windows 98SE. I used Van Basco's before and it's otherwise fine but I couldn't figure out how to loop midi files properly.

Hi,
If you want to hear how it really should sound you should use a real MT-32 or Munt. MT-32 standard is not compatible with GM/GS so any other method could sound wrong/differently depending on the used device/soundfont.
Fortunately Midi Player is packed together with Munt VSTi so you can use it to listen to MT-32 Midi files (also with custom instruments loaded by SysEx messages).
Here's how you can configure it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSk9S1bkRS8&t=9m35s
If you use a real Mt-32 you can use Munt VSTi as a reference point to compare your different result to, since Munt usually is much more forgiving about SysEx timing issues/buffer overflows.

Reply 16 of 16, by RegTheEvil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Falcosof, sorry for the late reply, but the problem is that I am using Real MT-32 (old model) to play the midi file. I have been too busy to try to figure this thing but I am going to consult someone from midi music adventures website for this problem after I have the time. For the most part Larry3 midi file sounds fine through Roland MT-32 but the music in the game sounds slightly different under DOS. I am using soft MPU. I cannot test soft MPU through Windows DOS Box. Midi file sounds correct for the most part so the patches are definitely loaded. If I start playing with my MIDI Master Keyboard I get different sounds from MT-32 unit after listening to Larry 3 midi file.

What I am trying to say is that certain sounds sound slightly distorted like a piano out of tune. They are not wrong sounds so I don't think that the patches are unloaded. If my system is at fault, I would like to know, how exactly or if there is something wrong with the midi file itself. I haven't heard anyone complaining though. I figure out this later...

I also realise that my problem probably belongs to another topic so when I have the time, I will record the differences and ask people around for what they think the problem might be. Cheers! =)

[EDIT: I read Falcosoft's last post too fast the first time so one thing slipped. I read it again and noticed that you suggested me to make comparisons with Munt and MT-32. I haven't done this yet. I will, later...]

[EDIT: CrossBow777, I need to ask somebody from midi music adventures website that, could it be possible that Larry3 midi file patches are incomplete? I would say that the songs sound about 99% correct so not a big deal. But imagine that you had classical orchestra that played songs with instruments and just one viol played out of tune. You would notice that, would you not!]

AT2 & other music made by me + miscellaneous stuff
Comics made by me