VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everyone,

I am trying to play Motorhead and Wipeout 2049 / XL. These games use CD Audio and "sound effects". I have several issues when trying to play these games.

I have the following PC:

W98SE
Athlon 550MHz
256MB SDR100
16MB AGP TNT2
Soundblaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 using "Sound Blaster Live! Install (VXD 4.12.01.0905 + WDM) Retail CD" drivers from here + a CD audio cable from CD drive to soundcard.
DirectX 8.2

I installed:

Drivers
DOS Drivers
Audio HQ
Diagnostics

When I launch a Motorhead, I hear the CD audio start, but I don't get any "sound effects". When I quit the game, the windows sound effects don't work. I can get them back by "playing around" with the diagnostics software and such as playing the diagnostics Wave files. Are the sound effects in game and in Windows essentially the "wave" sound output? However, if I launch the game now, I don't get any CD audio or sound effects!

I have checked the volume of CD audio and "directX / Wave" audio in the windows mixer. It is on highest, all the sliders are on highest including CD Audio. If I launch Motorhead, I see just before the game goes full screen that the DirectX/Wave slider goes to minimum! However, I don't get CD audio even though this volume slider is at max...

So any idea what is going on! Something clearly isn't right; not sure if it is a driver or setting somewhere...

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 2 of 2, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I gave those drivers a go (and a different CD drive) and now I get both sound effects and music, thank you!

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC