VOGONS

Reply 20 of 38, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why are you running pnpmap in the first place?
The STB drivers are readily available. You only need to reflash your EEPROM if you want to use the card with the original Gravis UltraSound PnP drivers.

Try running the original STB drivers and initialize the card with "iwinit -v9"
On the other hand I've previously had a UltraSound 32 Pro around which had a dead InterWave IC.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 21 of 38, by Retroit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2017-10-12, 04:40:
I'm sure this is going to change format and have additional information added/fixed, but I thought I might as well start this po […]
Show full quote

I'm sure this is going to change format and have additional information added/fixed, but I thought I might as well start this post before I forget some stuff I have figured out.

If anybody has anything to add, feel free to post below.

STB UltraSound 32 front.jpg
STB UltraSound 32 back.jpg

Card Name:
STB Ultrasound 32 Pro/ Interwave Audio w/ Memory

Systems that it originally came in:
Compaq Presario 4700, 4772, 8700, 8702, 8712, 8714, 8760, 8772 (Looks like it was available for Presario 4700/6700/8700 models)

Compaq part numbers:
Assembly - 240110-001
Spare Part - 240112-001

Card specs:
Interwave revision C0 AM78C201AKC(As far as I know it is the newest revision of the Interwave chip)
TEA6330T fader (This is exclusive to the STB cards as far as I know) Probably also the main reason that the other Interwave ROMs / drivers have issues with this card.
256k onboard RAM (J6 is used to enable/disable this)
1MB onboard ROM wavetable
1x 30-pin SIMM slot that will accept up to a 4MB stick of RAM

Files you will want for this card:

Standard GUS PnP v2.2 driver - only for the mixer and information utlities. Edit:(you don't really need this or probably even want it). The Compaq set installs the settings/information utility in the control panel and uses the Windows mixer instead of the Gravis mixer).
You want to run this before you install the 2.36 driver set from Compaq or you will have to reinstall the Compaq set afterwards.
ONLY run setupsw.exe. This installs the Windows utilities and the DOS software. The DOS stuff in this set does NOT work properly with this card.. or maybe it is just the IW.INI file that is not compatible. I think IF the .INI file is edited with the board ID and a few other things it would work. I will come back to this later.
pnpv22a.zip
Compaq version 2.36 drivers - the Softpaq extracts to a floppy:
You will want to run pnpmap -f compnew.rom from DOS in order to update the EEPROM map.
Compaq Softpaq 5223 - ver 2.36 REV A update for Interwave card.zip
Maxmode to enable Ultrasound MAX support - Initializes the PnP Codec and the mixer. The standard maxmode has version 2.28a of ULTRINIT. See below for the modded one I put together that has ULTRINIT 2.31 which applies the mixer settings so ULTRAMIX is not needed anymore. It should also work with either the Gravis install or the Compaq install. The different installers use different environment variable and default paths.
maxmode.zip
Gravis Ultrasound PnP CD - for the 1MB GF1 patch, the 4MB RAM patch and whatever other utilities and games you want to install
http://vogonsdrivers.com/files/ULTRAPNP_CDiso.rar

So the really cool thing about using the stock COMPAQ drivers is that it actually sets up everything and it just works unlike the Gravis drivers. You will see what I mean in the next post.

Hello,
I just bought such card and looking for software for it. Link http://vogonsdrivers.com/files/ULTRAPNP_CDiso.rar on this post seams is broken - I can't download file as I got message - "Forbidden access".
Thank you

Reply 22 of 38, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Retroit wrote on 2021-01-19, 00:31:
Hello, I just bought such card and looking for software for it. Link http://vogonsdrivers.com/files/ULTRAPNP_CDiso.rar on th […]
Show full quote
I'm sure this is going to change format and have additional information added/fixed, but I thought I might as well start this po […]
Show full quote

I'm sure this is going to change format and have additional information added/fixed, but I thought I might as well start this post before I forget some stuff I have figured out.

Card Name:

Compaq Presario 4700, 4772, 8700, 8702, 8712, 8714, 8760, 8772 (Looks like it was available for Presario 4700/6700/8700 models)

Compaq part numbers:
Assembly - 240110-001
Spare Part - 240112-001

Card specs:
Interwave revision C0 AM78C201AKC(As far as I know it is the newest revision of the Interwave chip)
TEA6330T fader (This is exclusive to the STB cards as far as I know) Probably also the main reason that the other Interwave ROMs / drivers have issues with this card.

Standard GUS PnP v2.2 driver - only for the mixer and information utlities. Edit:(you don't really need this or probably even want it). The Compaq set installs the settings/information utility in the control panel and uses the Windows mixer instead of the Gravis mixer).
You want to run this before you install the 2.36 driver set from Compaq or you will have to reinstall the Compaq set afterwards.
ONLY run setupsw.exe. This installs the Windows utilities and the DOS software. The DOS stuff in this set does NOT work properly with this card.. or maybe it is just the IW.INI file that is not compatible. I think IF the .INI file is edited with the board ID and a few other things it would work. I will come back to this later.
pnpv22a.zip
You will want to run pnpmap -f compnew.rom from DOS in order to update the EEPROM map.
Maxmode to enable Ultrasound MAX support - Initializes the PnP Codec and the mixer. The standard maxmode has version 2.28a of ULTRINIT. See below for the modded one I put together that has ULTRINIT 2.31 which applies the mixer settings so ULTRAMIX is not needed anymore. It should also work with either the Gravis install or the Compaq install. The different installers use different environment variable and default paths.
maxmode.zip
Gravis Ultrasound PnP CD - for the 1MB GF1 patch, the 4MB RAM patch and whatever other utilities and games you want to install

So the really cool thing about using the stock COMPAQ drivers is that it actually sets up everything and it just works unlike the Gravis drivers. You will see what I mean in the next post.

Hello,
I just bought such card and looking for software for it. Link http://vogonsdrivers.com/files/ULTRAPNP_CDiso.rar on this post seams is broken - I can't download file as I got message - "Forbidden access".
Thank you

The link has changed . http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=10

Reply 23 of 38, by Retroit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-01-19, 01:28:
Retroit wrote on 2021-01-19, 00:31:
Hello, I just bought such card and looking for software for it. Link http://vogonsdrivers.com/files/ULTRAPNP_CDiso.rar on th […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Card Name:

Compaq part numbers:
Assembly - 240110-001
Spare Part - 240112-001

Card specs:

pnpv22a.zip
maxmode.zip

Hello,
Thank you

The link has changed . http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=10

Thank you for replay and help with link. Know I closer by one step to test card when it arrived to me.

Reply 24 of 38, by Surrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got one of these cards for my HP Vectra.
It has a 1mb simm plugged in.
Found the card at a computer junk/hobby store in a paper bag.

It seems to work fine, I loaded the compaq drivers you posted on this thread, and sound in windows 95c just started working.
I did notice that in dxdiag I cannot test the midi on it, it shows an error.

One game I wanted to try, was epic pinball, but at least with the compaq drivers, i cant get sound in it working.
Are the gravis dos drivers required for the compaq card to have sound in a dos window?

Thanks for any advice.

Reply 25 of 38, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Surrat wrote on 2021-04-02, 14:14:
I just got one of these cards for my HP Vectra. It has a 1mb simm plugged in. Found the card at a computer junk/hobby store in a […]
Show full quote

I just got one of these cards for my HP Vectra.
It has a 1mb simm plugged in.
Found the card at a computer junk/hobby store in a paper bag.

It seems to work fine, I loaded the compaq drivers you posted on this thread, and sound in windows 95c just started working.
I did notice that in dxdiag I cannot test the midi on it, it shows an error.

One game I wanted to try, was epic pinball, but at least with the compaq drivers, i cant get sound in it working.
Are the gravis dos drivers required for the compaq card to have sound in a dos window?

Thanks for any advice.

There is a utility called Prepgame that you need to run for certain games like Jazz Jacrabbit & Epic Pinball to make it compatible with the Ultrasound PnP.
Problem is that utility doesn't work with the Compaq ROM.

So, you first need to flash your card with the standard Gravis Ultrasound ROM, run the Prepgame utility for your game and then flash the card again with the Compaq ROM.

Reply 26 of 38, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think all that should have to be done in that case is to mod the compaq rom with the regular GUS PnP ID. At least that is what I was seeing for stuff like drivers and applications that look for a specific ID

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 27 of 38, by Pino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all, thanks for all the useful information on this topic, I was able to get one of this boards and was looking forward to finally experiment a GUS sound card.
Unfortunately my card has some evident issues, some missing components, the card is detected and I was able to flash the ROM and install drivers, but as soon as it plays a sound in windows it hangs.
On DOS I can play sound effects on descent setup, but no music.
Anyway, can someone with this card help me to figure out the PN/specs for the missing components?
I need:
Q2, C133, C150, C37

Please see the picture attached for the components location.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

Reply 28 of 38, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll have to locate mine and see what those are supposed to be. Will have to be this weekend sometime.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 30 of 38, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pino wrote on 2023-04-21, 17:30:

Thank you Cyclone, I really appreciate!

No problem. Just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten. Just haven't figured out exactly which system I have the card in and got sidetracked by other machines I was working on this weekend.
Think I have a pretty good idea where it is and I will try to pull it out tomorrow or Tuesday.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 32 of 38, by Jccwu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pino wrote on 2023-04-21, 16:28:
Hello all, thanks for all the useful information on this topic, I was able to get one of this boards and was looking forward to […]
Show full quote

Hello all, thanks for all the useful information on this topic, I was able to get one of this boards and was looking forward to finally experiment a GUS sound card.
Unfortunately my card has some evident issues, some missing components, the card is detected and I was able to flash the ROM and install drivers, but as soon as it plays a sound in windows it hangs.
On DOS I can play sound effects on descent setup, but no music.
Anyway, can someone with this card help me to figure out the PN/specs for the missing components?
I need:
Q2, C133, C150, C37

Please see the picture attached for the components location.

Thanks in advance

16V/47mF All capacitors

Attachments

Reply 34 of 38, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was looking at pics of a card (not mine), and it looked like some of the caps were 25v instead of 16v. I wonder if there are different revisions.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 35 of 38, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

They probably just took what's available (or cheapest) to them during the production run. For those on a 12V line (if that's even used on this card), 16V might be cutting it a bit close and I personally would rather go with 25V, but on 5V, both would be perfectly fine, I'd say.

Reply 36 of 38, by Pino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just stopping by to thank you all again for the help, today I finally had the time to solder the 3 capacitors and 1 transistor that were missing, and the card is now working flawlessly.
One less "gravis" to the electronic waste and 1 more to my collection.

Reply 37 of 38, by Pino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is anyone using MegaEM successfully with this card?

Everything is working great on mine and I'm really enjoying the music quality, specially after install pro patches lite, but I would like to use also on games that only supports General MIDI.

I have MegaEM 3.11, I ran it and it says it's activated but I get no sound when I select general midi on games, no error is given.

Thanks

Reply 38 of 38, by Pino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Answering my own question, it might be useful for someone else...

First of all MegaEM needs expanded memory, but if you use emm386 it only works if your system has 64MB of RAM or less, if you have more RAM than that you need QEMM.

second, MegaEM 3.11 can works on this card with only the onboard 512kb of memory, but only in MT32 mode. If you want Roland Canvas (GM) mode you need additional memory, it works on mine now since I added a 4MB memory module.