VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote on 2023-01-24, 14:41:
On really fast machines it's much better to use a covox sound-device in plain Dos. You can play some games with it. There are so […]
Show full quote

On really fast machines it's much better to use a covox sound-device in plain Dos. You can play some games with it.
There are some games that will still make problems with sweepinging noises on too fast machines (pinball-fantasies) but you can have fun with games and some scene-suff (demos/intros/mediaplayer).
It is even better if you have a disney-soudscource with an covox.

One thing that bothers me here is that I always have to use sperate speakers for that LPT-sounddevices because I can't get "line-in" activated or "unmuted" on AC97 sounddevices.

In can concur. I managed to get my hands on a Disney Sound Source a while back, and it's amazing how well it works even on newer systems. That's because they don't rely on ISA DMA, a crappy standard that was problematic in more ways than one, which would result me in going on an off-topic tangent, if I were to list them here.

Hopefully, dreamblaster will soon develop a Disney Sound Source clone and offer it for sale on Serdashop. He said such a device was on his list of things to work on, but we know he has his hands full with so many different awesome projects. But considering the relatively high level of game support (for a parallel port sound device), combined with its hardware compatibility with newer systems, it would make for a compelling retro gadget for many.