VOGONS

MCA Adlib card -- just need pictures

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 68, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Make an MCA version of the fmonster sound card. FMonster, the monster of sound synth Though missing sound blaster dacs? Major oversight to me. There's also the blasterboard project: BLASTERBOARD : A new SB 2.0-compatible ISA sound card

Reply 61 of 68, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
awgamer wrote on 2020-07-24, 15:49:

Make an MCA version of the fmonster sound card. FMonster, the monster of sound synth Though missing sound blaster dacs? Major oversight to me. There's also the blasterboard project: BLASTERBOARD : A new SB 2.0-compatible ISA sound card

I've already asked Eugene about an MCA Blasterboard, but it doesn't look like a project he's likely to take on, in part due to the complexities involved. As for doing it myself, I'm afraid I'd be hopelessly lost with such a task.
I've read a bit about MCA design considerations here: http://ohlandl.ipv7.net/sound/Soundblaster.html
Apparently there were quite a few problems even with the original MCA SoundBlasters, due to their circuit design being based on the 8-bit ISA cards, so it's unlikely to be a simple conversion.

Reply 62 of 68, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

still trying to source some Information, are there any known issues with CPLD Variant and XGA / SCSI Cards ?
i will have PCBs soon and may be solder them in autum.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 63 of 68, by TubeTimeUS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
matze79 wrote on 2020-08-27, 16:02:

Hi,

still trying to source some Information, are there any known issues with CPLD Variant and XGA / SCSI Cards ?
i will have PCBs soon and may be solder them in autum.

It works fine in my Model 95 which has XGA and SCSI.

But this is MCA, so YMMV. If it does end up working for you, let me know and I can add your machine configuration to the known working list.

Reply 64 of 68, by TubeTimeUS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Der Kuenringer wrote on 2020-07-25, 15:16:
I've already asked Eugene about an MCA Blasterboard, but it doesn't look like a project he's likely to take on, in part due to t […]
Show full quote
awgamer wrote on 2020-07-24, 15:49:

I've already asked Eugene about an MCA Blasterboard, but it doesn't look like a project he's likely to take on, in part due to the complexities involved. As for doing it myself, I'm afraid I'd be hopelessly lost with such a task.
I've read a bit about MCA design considerations here: http://ohlandl.ipv7.net/sound/Soundblaster.html
Apparently there were quite a few problems even with the original MCA SoundBlasters, due to their circuit design being based on the 8-bit ISA cards, so it's unlikely to be a simple conversion.

I'll probably feel some regret about it later, holed up in the middle of the night with logic analyzer probes snaking out of the carcass of a running PS/2 model 95, but I'm taking a crack at it. I'm using a CPLD for the interface just like the Plaid Bib. The rest of the card is basically the same as the Snark Barker. The two hardest parts are 1) the DMA state machine and 2) wait states for faster buses.

Reply 65 of 68, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TubeTimeUS wrote on 2020-08-29, 21:16:

I'll probably feel some regret about it later, holed up in the middle of the night with logic analyzer probes snaking out of the carcass of a running PS/2 model 95, but I'm taking a crack at it. I'm using a CPLD for the interface just like the Plaid Bib. The rest of the card is basically the same as the Snark Barker. The two hardest parts are 1) the DMA state machine and 2) wait states for faster buses.

Godspeed!

😁👍

Reply 66 of 68, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What would be very much better is ESS 1868 based MCA, not blaster based with all the bugs it brings.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 67 of 68, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi there, is it true that these PS/2 models are "speed-sensitive" when it comes to add-on cards?
I think I have read something about..."this card only works in model xyz, not in model abc"
Currently I am awaiting my first PS/2 machine. It's an Model 56 486SLC2.
It has no 5,25" drive, no scsi-harddrive. Only a single 3,5" floppy-driver (2,88MB?)
and no add-on cards. What i really need on that machine is:

- Sound
- Lan (RJ45 ethernet)

These cards will be costly and very hard to find I think.

Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 68 of 68, by TubeTimeUS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote on 2020-09-17, 16:24:
Hi there, is it true that these PS/2 models are "speed-sensitive" when it comes to add-on cards? I think I have read something a […]
Show full quote

Hi there, is it true that these PS/2 models are "speed-sensitive" when it comes to add-on cards?
I think I have read something about..."this card only works in model xyz, not in model abc"
Currently I am awaiting my first PS/2 machine. It's an Model 56 486SLC2.
It has no 5,25" drive, no scsi-harddrive. Only a single 3,5" floppy-driver (2,88MB?)
and no add-on cards. What i really need on that machine is:

- Sound
- Lan (RJ45 ethernet)

These cards will be costly and very hard to find I think.

Doc

They can be. The model 80 is pretty notorious for compatibility issues. The MCA bus on that machine works slightly differently than most of the other machines, particularly in how memory cards work.

For sound, you could build a Plaid Bib or get the Resound from Texelec. A network card isn't that hard to find but don't limit yourself to RJ45. If you can find one with the DA-15 AUI port, then all you need is a transceiver with the RJ45 jack on it.