VOGONS

Roland SCC-1 price

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 58, by garyglitta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Salient wrote on 2021-07-25, 17:34:

I sold one of my SC-55's last week (not MK2 though) for a, it seems, very decent 55 euros. Maybe that's actually a bit low but oh well, let others have a good deal too sometimes. 😀
This was without the PSU though.

I think that's a very fair price, considering no PSU. Thanks for not being a ripoff artist like so many others who only seek to capitalise on the hobby.
May I ask, whereabouts in NL are you based? I am in Eindhoven.

Reply 41 of 58, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
garyglitta wrote on 2021-07-27, 15:02:

I think that's a very fair price, considering no PSU. Thanks for not being a ripoff artist like so many others who only seek to capitalise on the hobby.

A very small village called Moerkapelle (close to Zoetermeer).

MIDI comparison website: << Wavetable.nl >>
(Always) looking for: Any Wavetable daughterboard, MIDI Module (GM/GS/XG)

Reply 42 of 58, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
garyglitta wrote on 2021-07-27, 15:02:
Salient wrote on 2021-07-25, 17:34:

I sold one of my SC-55's last week (not MK2 though) for a, it seems, very decent 55 euros. Maybe that's actually a bit low but oh well, let others have a good deal too sometimes. 😀
This was without the PSU though.

I bought a Mark 1 SC-55 (don't even remember if it came with a PSU, I prefer to use a new modern 20$ Roland branded one anyway) for 80 CAN$ in a local pawn shop (part of chain with a web searchable catalogue) where it had been sitting for months before I bought it . The initial asking price was 100 CAN$, they actually brought it down 80 CAN$ (which is about 53 Euros) without me even asking . Hopefully. local deals like these also happen in NL and elsewhere .

EDIT : This was in Montreal, Canada's second largest city, so I am surprised that no local retro enthusiast picked it up before I did .
EDIT2: This was last December

Reply 43 of 58, by garyglitta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can you believe this guy? He wants $200 for the tattered old manuals and scraps of box, no actual electronics! 🤣

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334191446037

Reply 44 of 58, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
garyglitta wrote on 2021-10-23, 11:39:

Can you believe this guy? He wants $200 for the tattered old manuals and scraps of box, no actual electronics! 🤣

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334191446037

Completely nuts. Maybe I should start selling all my empty boxes too for rediculous amounts of money? 😀

Reply 46 of 58, by garyglitta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote on 2021-10-24, 10:39:

I could have bought one for €100 locally... but I was like "hahaha, no that's way too much for just one soundcard" 😁

I’d say that’s a pretty good deal actually!
They go for silly money now. I have 2x, but just the cards and no box. Sure as sh1t not paying 200 dollars for some scraps of cardboard tho

Reply 49 of 58, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote on 2021-10-24, 21:53:

A PC MIDI board from keropi + an X2GS is just as good, cheaper, and isn't in danger of dying of old age 👍

Still it seems some things really have been built to last. I have been using one of my MT-32's now for approx. 15 years with a crude self-built internal PSU (which does make it hotter inside when powered on) and it's still going strong.

Attachments

Reply 50 of 58, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Location of the transformer is unfortunate though, right next to the DAC chip. I can imagine there is some amount of 50/60Hz humming in the sound ? Moving it closer to front of the unit (where there are no analog stuff) should cure it.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 51 of 58, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2021-10-27, 20:45:

Location of the transformer is unfortunate though, right next to the DAC chip. I can imagine there is some amount of 50/60Hz humming in the sound ? Moving it closer to front of the unit (where there are no analog stuff) should cure it.

No difference in sound output compared to my other, unmodded, mt-32 so I must be lucky?

Reply 52 of 58, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It could the that the transformer has pretty low external field, or is not loaded enough to have it extend too much. My own experience in similar situations has always been not good, with significant 50/60Hz humming induced in nearby stuff so I got alarmed.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 53 of 58, by garyglitta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294953533540?ssPageN … mMakeTrack=true

I'm guessing that this won't last long on eBay, so if you have been looking for one don't let it slip through your fingers!

Only $650,00 - bargain! 🤣

Reply 54 of 58, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
garyglitta wrote on 2022-04-28, 08:46:

I'm guessing that this won't last long on eBay, so if you have been looking for one don't let it slip through your fingers!

Given the going prices for MPU-401 units and a SoundCanvas module, this might not be so far what one would pay for the former.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 55 of 58, by garyglitta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, not so sure about that. I mean you can get the new hardmpu cards for not so much cash, although tbh most folks don't need the intelligent mode and could just use their soundcard to drive a SC55 externally, which go for about 100 euros locally...

Reply 56 of 58, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
garyglitta wrote on 2022-04-28, 15:23:

Hmm, not so sure about that. I mean you can get the new hardmpu cards for not so much cash, although tbh most folks don't need the intelligent mode and could just use their soundcard to drive a SC55 externally, which go for about 100 euros locally...

There are also other alternatives besides HardMPU such as the Music Quest MPU-401 clone card and the Orpheus sound card which has an option for a PCMIDI MPU-401 interface onboard.

For sound cards with a simple MPU-401 interface, SoftMPU could be used on faster computers. Compatibility won't be perfect but haven't seen one game that supports MPU-401 intelligent mode and refuses to run with EMM.

To be fair, users running a Roland SC-55 are less likely to run into this situation and the MT-32 emulation isn't that great.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 57 of 58, by garyglitta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes agreed. To be fair the SCC1 is still a very attractive option. Real MPU w/ intelligent mode and built in Roland GM, what's not to love.
Combine with an MT32 and a SB Pro / Yamaha audician card and you have pretty much the ideal setup for most DOS games with minimum fuss.
I have this config in my main retro rig, but I did not pay 650 USD for the SCC1...

Reply 58 of 58, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
garyglitta wrote on 2022-04-28, 08:46:

And.... it's gone!

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards