VOGONS

First post, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Which one is better? Generic Yamaha YMF724-V (looks original and drivers support it) or Aureal Vortex 2 (on black PCB, looks like original one) with dreamblaster S2?
With Yamaha I had no problems with drivers at all (but looking for them was a pain) and with Aureal Vortex 2 still I don't have full DOS mode support.

Can anybody help with drivers for Aureal Vortex? (In other topic I've got link to mixerset.exe made by user, not Semiconductor corp and I have no idea how to use it.)

Reply 2 of 13, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
haker120 wrote:

(In other topic I've got link to mixerset.exe made by user, not Semiconductor corp and I have no idea how to use it.)

From the Vortex2 mixer release thread I directed you to:

"Included is a batch file to show how to use the available commands, and there is also the AU30MIX.exe /? if you need more help."

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 4 of 13, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
squiggly wrote:

Is there any reason to use midi cards in the windows era? Weren't sample banks all in RAM by that stage? And fewer games using midi over PCM sound anyway?

Fewer games using MIDI, yes, but lots of cards had no MIDI emulation capability. Yamaha cards had their semi-hardware XG solution and Creative had their EMU synth onboard but most others did not.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 13, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I understand, however, I'm not that good with editing autoexec.bat and config.sys, in AV2 some sounds are muted even though mixerset shows zeros, from what I got to know, means max settings for them.

And I'm still waiting for dreamblaster S2, is it the same as X2?

Reply 6 of 13, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of course the Aureal VorteX, as is far superior to the Yamaha. Also many people says the Aureal is superior to Creative from the same era, so there is not much here to guess.

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 7 of 13, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

But this superior has problem with DOS mode drivers. Games like DOOM work fine, but those with CD Audio have problem on Aureal Vortex, or (I hope) it's my fault I didn't configure it well.

Reply 8 of 13, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you can`t configure the damn thing to work with DOS games you can use easy ESS Audio drive, cheap crap cards, but they work like charm with DOS games..

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 9 of 13, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have no problem with YM724-V and sounds great in DOS mode, just a lack of A3D under graphic mode hurts. And Aureal Vortex 2 is a pain under DOS, looks like mixerset doesn't work too good.

Reply 10 of 13, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you have enough PCI slots you can have both cards installed at the same time.

Then in Windows create hardware profiles so you can select which sound card to use. For MS-DOS, you can create a startup menu which will allow you to select which card to use.

Also, for the Vortex2, ZanQuance created an alternative MS-DOS mixer at Release -New Aureal DOS Mixer Util- which may be easier to use.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 12 of 13, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AU30MIX is simple enough to use, you want CD audio right?

"AU30MIX gain cd 0" will set it to max volume
"AU30MIX gain cd 128" will mute the cdrom audio
If you still hear nothing, then check the cable you're using to pass audio from your CD-ROM to the CD-input on the Vortex 2.

okay now back to my honeymoon :p