R.I.P. SoundBlaster AWE32

Topic actions

First post, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yesterday i was testing a box i had with soundcards. Most of them were fine
tested lots of SB16, AWE64, SB32, and then i tried to test an AWE32 CT3670

no go, tried 2 different motherboards and nothing, when running the Install i always got an red error msg saying 220H not found, and nothing was found, and can´t continue the setup

then i exchanged it with a CT3600 and it worked right away and installed everything.
But this CT3670 which is very similar fails to be recognized.

I wonder if replacing all capacitors would make a difference, or changing the voltage regulator would save the card. Or i should just send it to heaven.

Reply 1 of 38, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 3670 has the same main chip as the AWE64. What drivers are you using?

Is there any physical damage to the card? scratched traces, mangled chip legs, missing components, etc?

It could also be that the card has a corrupted eeprom. You can flash it with the AWE64 eeprom update, but that will render the IDE interface unusable.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 38, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

The 3670 has the same main chip as the AWE64. What drivers are you using?

Is there any physical damage to the card? scratched traces, mangled chip legs, missing components, etc?

It could also be that the card has a corrupted eeprom. You can flash it with the AWE64 eeprom update, but that will render the IDE interface unusable.

Im using the same drivers for all cards SBBASIC & CTCMBBS. there is one disc for the install, and another disc for the CTCM install. I use thesame drivers for all models, from SB16 to awe32 ct3600. the drivers sometimes ask for the second disc and sometimes it does not ask for the ctcm disc destination.

In this case when i plug the ct3600 the Install runs perfectly.
and when i try the install program with the ct3670..the install dont even detect it and give a 220h error.

no scratches, no traces, no legs broken nor missing components.

- By flashing you mean this? http://www.dell.com/support/home/ar/es/arbsdt … driverId=r19293
i just make a floppy boot to dos and run the flasher? or i need to use another flash utility?

Reply 3 of 38, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What happens when you run CTCU to assign the resources? Do you have configuration options available and do they take upon selection and exit?

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 4 of 38, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CkRtech wrote:

What happens when you run CTCU to assign the resources? Do you have configuration options available and do they take upon selection and exit?

ok tried again today
using a 3rd motherboard and got the same result.
this time i deleted all sb stuff from autoexec and config, and deleted sb16 directories

runned CTCM INstall disc, It installed , booted the machine and this is the error i got when booting:

creative pnp configuration manager 1.08
copyright creative blah blah blah
ERROR BAD SERIAL ID CHECKSUM ( VENDOR ID 0) EXPECTED = 35 ACTUAL = ff
ERROR BAD SERIAL ID CHECKSUM ( VENDOR ID ffffffff ) EXPECTED = 35 ACTUAL = ff

and i runned CTCU as you said, the card is not even detected, on PnP menu i see nothing
same errors with another motherboard also.

so...
this card is not recoverable?
rest in peace? or can be fixed?

Reply 5 of 38, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, try the AWEFlsh.exe to see if that fixes it. It will disable the IDE port, but should make the card usable as an AWE64 if it is a corrupt eeprom which is what it sounds like.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 38, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
creative pnp configuration manager 1.08 copyright creative blah blah blah ERROR BAD SERIAL ID CHECKSUM ( VENDOR ID 0) EXPECTED = […]
Show full quote

creative pnp configuration manager 1.08
copyright creative blah blah blah
ERROR BAD SERIAL ID CHECKSUM ( VENDOR ID 0) EXPECTED = 35 ACTUAL = ff
ERROR BAD SERIAL ID CHECKSUM ( VENDOR ID ffffffff ) EXPECTED = 35 ACTUAL = ff

That looks a lot like a corrupted EEPROM . If you do try to flash with the utility at http://www.dell.com/support/home/ar/es/arbsdt … driverId=r19293 (everything you need is included), be aware that other than losing the IDE port, as mentioned by cyclone3d, your card will be detected as an AWE64 (SIMM slots will still work).

Flashing with that utility is a one way street (no going back), but caused no harm to my CT3670 .

Reply 7 of 38, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ok so if i flash i will loose IDE, but i can still connect IDE to the 486 motherboard and get cd audio music tracks from there right?

and i can still use 4mb ram simms and get a better quality sound when gaming with soundfonts?

after flashing ...sound quality will drop?? because awe32 i thought was always better than awe64

im just wondering if the only bad thing i will loose is IDE

Reply 8 of 38, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ok so if i flash i will loose IDE, but i can still connect IDE to the 486 motherboard and get cd audio music tracks from there right?

Yes

and i can still use 4mb ram simms and get a better quality sound when gaming with soundfonts?

Yes

after flashing ...sound quality will drop?? because awe32 i thought was always better than awe64

No. There will be no change there as that depends on the actual hardware which is still the same. Actually AWE64 cards supposedly have cleaner (less noisy output) than AWE32 cards, but again, in this case, there will be no difference as the actual hardware will not change .

Reply 9 of 38, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can actually upgrade the RAM to 28MB by using 2x 16MB simms if you have them available. Smaller ones will of course work as well.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 10 of 38, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

no luck guys

i tried the dell update, and created the floppy disk
and when i run it it says

C4502_C1.exe
readport 0x273
writing resource data for ct4502
reading resource data from card
resource readback is not the same operation aborted.

This card is about ready to go to heaven.

there is also a flash update from a russian website but when i run it it says its not a 4520 card and stops

Reply 11 of 38, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Going out on a limb - Check your traces to U21.

You could also possibly replace it.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 12 of 38, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
C4502_C1.exe readport 0x273 writing resource data for ct4502 reading resource data from card resource readback is not the same o […]
Show full quote

C4502_C1.exe
readport 0x273
writing resource data for ct4502
reading resource data from card
resource readback is not the same operation aborted.

I would guess the EEPROM has gone bad and is both corrupted and no longer writable .

Reply 13 of 38, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. Can you see any physical damage to the card? It could be something as simple as a damaged trace or a bad solder joint.

2. Try cleaning the slot connectors with a pencil eraser and see if that changes anything. Oxidation can cause really funky problems.

A CT3670 being dead is really sad 😢

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 14 of 38, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

A CT3670 being dead is really sad 😢

I bet we can fix it.

Reply 15 of 38, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i spent a lot of time checking the pcb with light from the back to see traces. i was not able to find anything. not even one scratch. also did the eraser on the gold contacts and nothing changed

what is U21 on a ct3670 ?
here is a 8 leg chip marked 93lc668 M /SN

i did solder with flux that chip to see if that made more contact but the card still gave that same error

then i got another awe64 ct4380..that chip in this one is not U21..here is U16 and it is marked ISSI 647 66 3GR

Reply 16 of 38, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is an eeprom. There are several possibilities outside of that exact chip being the sole problem. However should that chip fail to correctly store/retrieve what was given to it while having all of the proper connections, voltages, etc, from other components, it should be something that can be replaced. Provided the new one can be programmed properly, you can flash with the awe64 utility these guys mentioned -

That said, we are talking about flashing something meant for another card onto this one, and it is possible that there is something else wrong entirely.

Would be nice if it were possible to dump those things - in which case you could getting a working rom from someone with a functional AWE32 similar to yours.

This is all a bit of theory as I haven't encountered any rom issues with a CL card before. But if it could be fixed with a fresh rom and you simply can't write and retrieve data from the eeprom, it seems like it is worth attempting a replacement should you or someone you know have the necessary skills and tools to do it.

Reply 17 of 38, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CkRtech wrote:

<snip>

Would be nice if it were possible to dump those things - in which case you could getting a working rom from someone with a functional AWE32 similar to yours.

This is all a bit of theory as I haven't encountered any rom issues with a CL card before. But if it could be fixed with a fresh rom and you simply can't write and retrieve data from the eeprom, it seems like it is worth attempting a replacement should you or someone you know have the necessary skills and tools to do it.

I have two cards with the same CT3670 number. It's not possible for me to dump the contents of the ROM?

1982 to 2001

Reply 18 of 38, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is probably possible. I was just saying the OP’s rom is potentially hosed.

Reply 19 of 38, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't swap caps til you know what's the issue. Won't help to potentially add another problem when attempting to find one.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]