VOGONS

First post, by stgiga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello once again! I have made ANOTHER SoundFont, this time focusing on Yamaha FM sound chips. You can download it here: It is 320MiB, and has MANY layers to EACH preset! I Googled each Chip to learn what went with it, and used MANY free Soundfonts for MOST Yamaha FM/Chiptune devices across MANY regions and platforms. The following chips in the below list are used to make this GM bank:

Notes:
Polyphony limited to 192 Voices (I did the math...)
Some outputs do multichannel beyond 2ch (Count channels for me...)
All required minimum Chips are used.
Try spotting them all ;}
Thank you for your patronage!

The Actual Chips:

1x Gashisoft GXSCC SCC Mode IC*
1x Yamaha YMF278 OPL4 Wavetable/FM IC
1x Yamaha YMF741-S OPL3-SA3L Chip
1x Yamaha YM2608 OPNA FM/PCM Chip
1x Yamaha YM2612 OPN2 FM/PCM Chip
2x Yamaha YM21280 OPS FM Chip
2x Yamaha YM21290 EGS Envelope Chip
1x Yamaha YM2154 RYP4 PCM Drum Chip
2x Yamaha YM2190x RYP4 Drum ROM IC's
2x Yamaha YM3012 RYP4 PCM Drum DAC
2x Yamaha YM3017 DAL2 DAC Logic IC
2x Yamaha YM3812 OPL2 FM Synth**
2x Yamaha YM3014B OPL2 FM DAC
1x Yamaha YM2203 OPN FM/SSG Synth IC
1x Yamaha YM3014B OPN FM/SSG DAC
3x Yamaha YAC513 OPL4 FM/Wave DAC
1x Yamaha YM3016 OPNA FM/PCM DAC
1x Yamaha YM2413 OPLL FM Synth Chip
1x Yamaha YM3433B OPNA PCM Splitter
1x Yamaha YSS225 EP OPL4 Effects Chip
1x Yamaha YRW801 2MiB GM Wave ROM

*1 GXSCC SCC Mode IC uses these chips:
8x Konami 2212 SCC Waveform/SSG IC***
2x General Instrument AY-3-8910 SSG****

**Each OPL2 chip is a stereo half.
***Codeveloped by Yamaha for the MSX
****The Yamaha YM2149F SSG will work as a Yamaha-made alternative to this SSG.

Last edited by stgiga on 2024-03-01, 20:53. Edited 1 time in total.

I'm Nonbinary and neurodivergent.
I use they/them. It can also be written as ᵺ㏟.

Reply 2 of 14, by stgiga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Please re download it. I just updated it. I just fixed the credits again.

Reply 3 of 14, by stgiga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just made a MAJOR new version which adds SWLL support from the PSR-F50. Here it is:

Last edited by stgiga on 2024-03-01, 20:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 14, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dude, nice job on this! I've been messing around with it playing MIDIs and stuff all day. Most stuff sounds really good right out of the box, even some of my own ancient tracks that weren't composed with any real understanding of how general MIDI.* The Rise of the Triad OST on this soundfont is awesome. Really impressed with the drums - you've managed to make them sound punchy and huge as opposed to the usual weedy FM stuff.

I'm totally gonna use this set for something.

(* Back in the '90s I used to compose 4-channel MOD files and convert them to vaguely-GM compatible tracks for use in custom game maps. The problem was I only had an OPL3 chip to work on at the time. This is the first GM environment I've tried that makes at least some of those tunes sound better and not obviously worse. 😜)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 5 of 14, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have much experience with sound fonts aside from loading them onto a Goldfinch card in Windows 98. What software/hardware would be best to use this on Windows 10? Can it be used in games with emulators like dosbox or scummvm? I assume the 320MB file size makes it too large to actually use on old systems.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 6 of 14, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm using Falcosoft MIDI player which loads soundfonts in software. On earlier versions of Windows you could hook it into the system as the default MIDI device & anything that played MIDI would use it, but I'm unsure how to do that on w10 since they took away the MIDI Mapper. It should still work with DOSBox & ScummVM if you can route it manually but I have no idea how to do that on Windows.

I'm running it on Linux under WINE and just playing .mid files in a playlist - works great for that.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 7 of 14, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

I'm using Falcosoft MIDI player which loads soundfonts in software. On earlier versions of Windows you could hook it into the system as the default MIDI device & anything that played MIDI would use it, but I'm unsure how to do that on w10 since they took away the MIDI Mapper. It should still work with DOSBox & ScummVM if you can route it manually but I have no idea how to do that on Windows.
I'm running it on Linux under WINE and just playing .mid files in a playlist - works great for that.

In windows 10 a substitute midi mapper like Coolsoft Midi Mapper is mandatory.
CoolSoft MIDIMapper
If you want to use FSMP with DOSBox/ScummVM you will also need a software midi cable like LoopMidi
https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html
How to get Virtualmidi Synth worked in Dosbox under Win10
For DOSBox & ScummVM playback you can also use Coolsoft VMS besides FSMP. The main advantage of FSMP is that besides soundfonts you can also use different VSTi plugins like SC-VA, S-YXG50, MuntVsti without changing the default midi output port of DOSBox/ScummVM. Changing between different soundfonts and VSTi plugins or even standard Midi out ports in FSMP can be done manually or even programatically :
https://youtu.be/6CdJ7sEt8UM

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 8 of 14, by stgiga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have just released yet ANOTHER update, which adds SEGA's GEMS driver's music from the OPN2. The existing Sega Mega Drive/Genesis samples are actually OPN2C samples. As of now, the ENTIRE Yamaha OPN Chip family APPEARS to be represented. Here is the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JPRhBPNjRv47 … iew?usp=sharing

Reply 9 of 14, by stgiga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yet again, I was able to do more. I don't know if it is THAT much better, but I added SOME of the GEMS soundfont's drumset in such a way that power is boosted without noising up things. Here it is: https://mega.nz/#!56I10KqL!ysh6poZ6XzPZU7bOrt … wbTQ1hJXdSVr4pE

Reply 10 of 14, by stgiga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I thought I could not add anything else. I ended up cramming just a wee bit more in. Now high end Yamaha synths are in. Now it is literally pushing the layer limit, and I have run out of sf2 banks! Here it is:

Last edited by stgiga on 2024-03-01, 20:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 14, by stgiga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was wrong yet again. I found another bank to use, now I am at CPU limit on i3! Here is the new bank, it includes Konami/Yamaha VRC7/DS1001/K053982 in it. Oh, and another set of SCC+ and YM2149 chips, along with another OPNA YM2608 chip with DAC. Basically a huge update! Here it is:

Last edited by stgiga on 2024-03-01, 20:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 14, by stgiga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I made a Roland CM32L SoundFont that maps the presets to gm. It also has other presets. It can be found here: My new 128mib CM32L GM/GS soundfont

Reply 13 of 14, by stgiga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ANOTHER New update to the Yamaha Soundbank!

It includes the layers from the Yamaha C5 Grand Piano, and the Yamaha Fourth Piano bank. By the way, the sound quality and polyphony have gone up again! It also includes the Strix Soundfont Team DX7 FM EP bank!
Please re-download the bank if you already have done so! Sorry for the inconvenience!

(To preserve future editability and size, the 157 Meg Salamander Yamaha C5 Piano was used INSTEAD of the 600 Meg one. The only difference is sample length. The SF2 has been made into a 24 bit one to preserve quality when interpolation is used. Please forgive me if your player cannot handle the polyphony or bit depth/sample rate.)

Last edited by stgiga on 2024-03-01, 20:50. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 14 of 14, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fancy. Can't wait to try it out on my Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Platinum card.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser