VOGONS

First post, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Guys/Gals,

I have some very tight-fitting RCAs that I've used with my AWE 64 Gold. As a result, I lose output from one or both channels frequently and the fix is basically to put tension on them in order for contact to be made. I constantly have to do this and there's not even a single direction where the tension works every time.

I took the card out to inspect the soldering points, etc. I don't see any visible damage or warping, but something isn't making contact. Any ideas what the most likely fix could be? The solder looks fine, but I could reflow as one step. The contact pins inside the RCAs look ok as well...does the RCA pin have to only hit the back or somewhere else too?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 4, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd try swapping to other cables to confirm at least whether the problem is with your original cables or the connectors on the card.
If its the card, I'd resolder the RCA connectors. No harm to the card and easy to do.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 3 of 4, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunately, it's def not the cable or anything after the cable. It's 100% the female RCAs on the card itself. I resoldered the pins and they are good, probably overkill. I used Deoxit on the connectors themselves...same results. Maybe just replacing them makes sense at this point. It looks like after removing the outer plate, it should be easy.

What I don't know and would love feedback on is where exactly the male RCA has to make contact in order for the signal to go through. It's not the back of the female port, so is it the copper than runs on the underside?

Really appreciate the help!

EDIT - if anyone knows what the part on the board is called or where to buy, that would be awesome too!