VOGONS

First post, by Arvid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I have a 486 pc with MS-DOS 6.22 and Win 3.11 for workgroups. In this computer I have a Sound blaster pro 2 CT1600, the card works just fine in DOS with both sound and music in Doom. I used the "Sound blaster pro 2.0 installation disks" located on vogonsdrivers.com to install the drivers for DOS and Win 3.11.
The problem is that I get no sound in windows and the sound blaster pro programs that are installed in windows by the install program do not recognize that there is a sound blaster card installed and refuse to start. All the drivers are correctly installed as far as I can tell by looking at the drivers in the control panel.
Anyone have any idea what might be wrong? Am I using the right drivers for this card?

Reply 1 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi Arvid,

Was there, by any chance, a previous installation of another Sound Blaster driver in Win 3.11 ?

If so, there might be some old settings left in system.ini.
The drivers/settings should be located below [drivers] and [sndblst.drv].

Anyway, it's just an idea.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found that CT1600 win3.x drivers fail to work if the SET BLASTER variable is wrong or missing - maybe that's the issue?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's a good idea, didn't know that! Thanks for sharing this information. 😀
When it comes to Windows 3.1x, I often either used the built-in SB 1.x driver or the SB16 driver.
- The SB16 installer in turn did all the SET BLASTER stuff on its own, so I didn't think about this possibility.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 10, by Arvid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote:
Hi Arvid, […]
Show full quote

Hi Arvid,

Was there, by any chance, a previous installation of another Sound Blaster driver in Win 3.11 ?

If so, there might be some old settings left in system.ini.
The drivers/settings should be located below [drivers] and [sndblst.drv].

Anyway, it's just an idea.

This was a completely fresh install of windows on top of a fresh DOS 6.22 install so no old sound drivers 😀

keropi wrote:

I found that CT1600 win3.x drivers fail to work if the SET BLASTER variable is wrong or missing - maybe that's the issue?

The SET BLASTER variable was present and correct so I don´t think that was the cause either.
Thanks for the suggestions so far though 😀

I did find some other drivers for the SB PRO 2 on driverguide, I´m going to give those a chance tomorrow.

Reply 5 of 10, by Arvid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After trying the new drivers I did get sound, sort of. Everything just loops endlessly until something else plays and then that loops endlessly. I ran the setup program for Phantasmagoria and that was able to play midi without looping so I guess that part is fine but the digital playback is messed up.
I uploaded a short video to Youtube showing the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGgVPiXdSs8 (the sound volume did not suddendly change, I just turned it up because it was a little low at first)

I have not been able to capture the Phantasmagoria setup because it crashed whille running it the first time and now it won´t run again without crashing before the tests start 😒

Reply 6 of 10, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you also using networking with WfW 3.11? If this is the case, considerng it Works in DOS but not in Windows, could it be a resource conflict between the NIC and SB Pro?

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 7 of 10, by Arvid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I´m also using networking yes, a ISA 3COM Etherlink III card. The network functionality works fine with no errors. How can I check if there´s a resource conflict somewhere?

Edit: Just checked the resources for the network card. I/O port is 300, base memory address and IRQ is set to (Automatic or unused) and can´t be changed. Sound blaster is set to I/O 220, IRQ 7 and DMA 1.

Reply 8 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Etherlink cards can be configured by a special utility from 3com I think.
It's the same one that can be used to enable/configure the Boot-ROM socket.
The floppy is/was called "Etherdisk". Files: ELNK3.ZIP, 3C509.ZIP, ..

Drivers needed for 3Com EtherLink III 3C509B-TPO for my 486 system

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 10, by Arvid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I´ll take a look at the config utility later when I have some time.
Is it possible that I could have a resource conflict in Windows but not in DOS? The card is not initialized or in use under DOS.

Reply 10 of 10, by Arvid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally got around to using this config utility and lo and behold, the network card was trying to use IRQ 7 which was also assigned to the SB PRO. Now it finally works, thanks for the help guys 😀