VOGONS

First post, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi. After two previous tries, I finally have a PC that has a proper non-AC97 sound card, and is kinda suitable for proper up to ~2003-4 DOS/Win9x gaming!

CPU: Intel Celeron 2.4GHz, Northwood, s478
MoBo: ASRock P4i45GV R5.0 with latest BIOS, ICH4 southbridge, and a i845GV chipset.
RAM: 2x256MB Elixir RAM running at DDR266 (limitation of MoBo and CPU)
HDD: WD Caviar 40GB IDE
ODD: Some TEAC DVD drive
PSU: Chieftec 350W
GPU: (on ASRock's cheated AGI slot): GeForce2 MX 200 with S-Video/composite outputs (I can post direct screenshots from DOS via my USB grabber, crikey!)
Sound Card: SB Live! 5.1 (SB0100) - frustration machine!

So basically, I did managed to get the SB16 Emulation DOS drivers running in the pure DOS 7.1 enviromnent (Win98SE's IO.SYS, COMMAND.COM, EMM386.EXE and HIMEM.SYS).
SBEGO.EXE works fine.
The IRQ's are not conflicting, the sound card physically gets IRQ7 which does not conflict with anything, and it's emulating the SB16 under IRQ5.

However, not a lot of games work:
1. Inertia Player works fine.
2. Wolfenstein 3D works fine.
3. Deluxe Ski Jump 2 work fine.
4. Dyna Blaster hangs after loading it, might be the game's fault, need to download from different sources and delete configuration files. I did managed to get it working with OPL2 music playing before!
5. Second Reality (with 2NDFIX.EXE) demoscene demo hangs at black screen after the initial menu selection, even when selecting no music, probably MoBo's fault.
6. DOPE demoscene demo hangs after loading it.
7. Ganja Farmer crashes/reboots the system after moving the mouse at the title screen. Game uses STKRUN (may it not be compatible with the SB16 emulation?)
8. Prince of Persia hangs after loading it. I did managed to get it working once, after I switched the PCI slot of the Audio card and switched to the integrated VGA on the MoBo. (it doesn't like the GeForce?)

If there are any other well respected DOS games with sound that can be used to test the drivers, please let me know.

Anyways, back to main question:
What are the main differences between running DOS application inside the Windows's DOS prompt while running the VXD drivers with the SB16 emulation enabled, and running them in pure DOS 7.1 environment with SBEINIT.COM? Is the compatibility the same? Do I only lose OPL2/3 sound?

While I've named the topic as such, this will probably evolve into yet another SB Live/SBEINIT SB16 emulation topic where people usually get angry and tell you to get a real ISA SB16 and a proper retro motherboard. 😁
Well, maybe if I win the lottery I'll have it 😀
At least the driver works for me in the first place, believe me, I've read enough about the SB0100/SBEINIT stuff, and after Phil's video about this particular model, I was hooked, but reality showed its ugly face 😜
Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 12, by truemaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ive been there with an older motherboard, but with a pci sblive card my sblive card is ct4830. some games will work inside win98 dosbox some other will crash. and will work better by restarting in ms dos mode. try use the wdm drivers for gaming inside win98 dosbox. wdm drivers manage to stop the crashing ive had with some dos games in windows they are better than vxd drivers. but not all games will work inside windows dosbox prince of persia is one of them. prince is working only in pure dos. also in order to have sound in pure dos the sblive need the ems manager (you already know that) some games wont play because of that. so 1 unistall the vxd drivers, install the wdm ones 2 remove any sblive parameters from autoexec.bat, and see what games play better in windows dosbox. the ones that are not play example prince of persia try them in pure dos. 3 for pure dos gamimg do this copy from your windows folder the pif that is named msdos games with ems and xms support paste it in your desktop, modify its autoexec and config parameters by adding the sblive papameters and use this pif for restarting in pure dos for your dos gaming

Last edited by truemaster on 2018-05-26, 08:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 12, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't try hard about it. Forget about any funny SB Live's DOS videos/reviews. PCB revision deosn't matter, in DOS they're all the same. You'll never reach even 90% old DOS games compatibility. "Old" - I mean SB/SBpro compatible games. SB Live will work as SB16 much perfect in later SB16 compatible games. Older games with Live is not good idea. Just add one more PCI card with good SB Pro compatibility and use both.

Some games won't work in Windows DOS session. Only pure DOS.
WDM is bad for Win9X gaming (I mean win games, so make your choice).

Reply 4 of 12, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When using EAX in some configs in some games there are able freezes (about 1/4 sec, 1/2 sec, 1/8 sec) and lower perfomance at all. Seems very terrible, disturbs in dynamic games. VXD gives more perfomance and absence these short freezes.

Reply 5 of 12, by truemaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

are you sure those delays arent happening because. of slow cpu?? when my old mobo dies and moved in a newer ich6 mobo with pentium 4 at 2.8 ghz i didnt notice any slowdowns not even on silent hill 4. one of the last win98 compatible games.

Reply 6 of 12, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not because slow system and/or hard game. In some cases happens often, in some cases almost no. I had this problem much with P4 3,4 and ICH5. I had this less with A-XP 2600+ and VT8235. And I never got it on any system with VXD installed.
Maybe depends on list of games. You play this one, I play other...

Reply 7 of 12, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@truemaster - The sole reason why I got the Audio Card is to NOT use WDM drivers! I've used WDM drivers on "modern" built-in Realtek based AC'97 chips, and all I get is the famous SBEMUL.SYS emulation of SB Pro with no OPL/Midi. I've experienced it for many years, I wanted something different. Thanks for the *.pif file trick, might be handy! I will never install WDM drivers on the SB Live, so no reason to fight about something I'll never use 😀

@PARUS - Well, this was the only card I could afford. As I've said, if I was somewhat rich, I could build a nice Socket 370 build with an ISA SB16 card, and 3DFX Voodoo 3, but that's what I have currently 🙁
I know this is all meaningless in the days of DOSBox/PCem/86Box, but still, there's some feeling about using real hard that probably no one can describe, no matter how out-of-place it seems 😀
I know I would be in some problems (got an nForce2 board previously and had to give it back 😀 ) but didn't know the problems lie far more than just getting the driver to run in the first place.
Vortex 1 is quite expensive, and Vortex 2 is out of reach. How would my experience be better if I got a Vortex 1?

I've also experienced the "bad file allocation table, drive c:" message, probably not a good idea to constantly force shutdown the HDD every couple minutes, I guess 😀 This also might affect my DOS games experience.

I will post here my experience, in case someone else is in the same situation, or maybe simply as a warning to not try SB Live as a DOS gaming sound card...but I wanted to 😒

EDIT: What about YMF744? There are some in here not THAT expensive.

Reply 8 of 12, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PCI YMF is a lottery and depends on your motherboard, I mean DDMA. In PC/PCI mode it is wonderful.
Vortex1/2 should work always or almost always with any mobo, uses TSR. But remember that you will not get 100% all DOS games compatibility with any PCI sound.

Reply 9 of 12, by truemaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ok wdm is no go for you. but strange with wdm i get general midi on both doom2 and blood but no opl at all. on my newer and better retro rig the ich6 system with pentium 4 i ditch sblive because the dos driver is uncopatible with the southbridge. im using now the aureal vortex 2. there are still on ebay if youre interested. the aureal vortex also doesnt need any ems and has only vxd drivers. also the yamaha ymf is a good one. and there is a page here that some people manage to make it work on a way newer chipsets than yours and mine. but like parus said there is no 100% compatible pci audio card sadly for all of us since mobos with isa are really expensive.

Reply 10 of 12, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is it true the YMF cards only emulate Sound Blaster Pro, and not SB16 like the Live?
As for the 100% compatibility, I know now that it is not possible with PCI cards (took me that long to realise this, yes 😀 ), especially with the variety of sound options each game has 😒 But at least some compatibility is better than none 😀
MOD/S3M files sound somewhat better in DOS' Inertia Player than in XMPlay on my modern built-in Realtek chip, interesting 😜
No wonder Intel introduced AC97 and HD Audio standards to fix all the audio nonsense prior to 2002 😀 Too bad retro games got ass kicked because of that, but hey, they couldn't predict the future, and neither can we.

Reply 11 of 12, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MrMateczko wrote:

Is it true the YMF cards only emulate Sound Blaster Pro, and not SB16 like the Live?

Yes. YMF-71x cards provide WSS compatible 16 bit support.

MrMateczko wrote:

As for the 100% compatibility, I know now that it is not possible with PCI cards (took me that long to realise this, yes 😀 ), especially with the variety of sound options each game has 😒 But at least some compatibility is better than none 😀

Hardware sideband technologies like DDMA and PC/PCI can completely overcome this limitation.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 12 of 12, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The level of compatibility you can get with a card like the sblive is fairly impressive. I found an ESS Solo-1 and that would have higher compatibility, as it does not require a TSR nor does it require EMM386.EXE to be loaded. Biggest problem is such setups tend to be very finicky and can be reliant on having the right motherboard and right BIOS settings to get it to work reliably.

ISA cards are always going to be more compatible, but if you want to turn a high end Athlon XP or Pentium 4 into a DOS gaming rig, you have few other choices than getting a PCI card with suitable ISA hooks and getting that working.