VOGONS

Reply 21 of 27, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I will have to. After trying to get QSound working in W95 according to TheMan's instructions, I can't seem to notice any difference in the sound of wav files.

Except now that I think about it, I have to pry the chip out of the card in order to do an A-B comparison? That sucks.

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 22 of 27, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does CSP.SYS need to be loaded for this to work in windows? Or is the mere presence of the ACV files in windows\system and the CSP files in %SOUND%\CSP adequate?

Reply 23 of 27, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, CSPMAN.DLL provides that functionality in Windows.

Attached are the Creative IMA ADPCM, A-law, and μ-law ACV/ACM CODECs and CSP modules that I'm currently using with the standard SB16 drivers included with Windows 95 OSR2. You'll want to disable or uninstall/remove the counterpart Windows' ACM CODECs, if present, and then just drop the Creative modules into the WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory, after which you should be good-to-go.

Also, where I've previously advocated the use of either IMA ADPCM or CTADPCM, I'm renouncing any recommendation of the latter unless a person desires or requires DOS playback of the converted files - the IMA ADPCM conversions are both audibly and measurably superior to those produced by the CTADPCM method.

Attachments

• Filename
    CSP_95.zip
    File size
    28.1 KiB
    Downloads
    51 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 25 of 27, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-10-02, 12:15:

could you be so kind as to post a sample WAV file encoded with IMA ADPCM? I can't find one on the net for the life of me

These aren't necessarily the best examples (concerning dynamic range), but here are a few comparison WAV files:

Iris. (2014). In the Clear [Excerpt]. On Radiant. Dependent Records.
PCM (12.6 MB)
IMA ADPCM (3.17 MB)
CTADPCM (3.15 MB)

Iris. (2019). Joy Kill [Excerpt]. On Six. Dependent Records.
PCM (12.6 MB)
IMA ADPCM (3.17 MB)
CTADPCM (3.15 MB)

Iris. (2019). Speak Out [Excerpt]. On Six. Dependent Records.
PCM (14.3 MB)
IMA ADPCM (3.59 MB)
CTADPCM (3.57 MB)

Reply 26 of 27, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

thank you! It appears the CSP chip does not work in windows 98 using the default driver set. Going to try again using TheMAN's Qsound instructions to get it running

Reply 27 of 27, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Success. Installing the revision 5 of the SB Win9x driver update package (SBW95UO.EXE on TheMAN's compilation CD) on my 98SE system was required to allow the CSP to function.

Source here:
Re: The Sound Blaster ASP chip, Q-Sound and Games.