VOGONS

First post, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Searching the forums I haven't found a solution to this, I am using an ISA SB16 PNP for OPL3 and an Audigy 2ZS for SFX and GM in DOS 6.22. The combination works well in games with setup programs that allows me to select SFX and music separately. Trouble is in older games that only support Adlib or OPL3, both cards play FM and the Audigy sounds awful. Changing volume in mixer setting using mixerset v2.18 doesn't work.

Is it possible to disable or block just the OPL3 part on the Audigy.
SB16 resources: A220, I5, D1, H5, P330 T6
Audigy 2 ZS resources: A240, I7, D3, H7, P330 T6

Reply 1 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The problem is that the Adlib port is "hard coded" to 388h and cannot normally be disabled. Hence, why you hear sounds coming from both cards.

If memory serves correctly, the Audigy functions in a similar manner than the Sound Blaster Live! cards under DOS (via a tsr that must be loaded to enable DOS emulation).
There might be command line options to enable or disable Adlib support. If not, and you only wish to play Adlib based games, then I suggest you just stick with the SB16 and just not load the Audigy DOS based tsr.
For that, set up a Start up (boot) menu configuration.

Reply 2 of 6, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would setting a different port work, like 0 instead of 388.
I am using the Audigy2 ZS because it actually sounds vastly better in DOS games that use DAC than the SB16. I keep the SB16 for older games that use OPL3. The Audigy GM midi with the 8MB set is also much better than I though it would be. I have gone through the various wavesets supported by the card (around 8 with different versions of the same size sets).
Also it supports a patch to use MT32. This was the biggest surprise. In some games (Exterminator 1990) I can't tell the difference between it and the latest munt from dosbox playing the same game. I though it would be ridiculously bad but it sounds exactly the same in some games. Then other games like speedball 2, sound like a bag of nails. Of course with any game that supports GM it sounds right with quality determined the the waveset.

Last edited by AvalonH on 2018-06-23, 18:02. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you can change or disable the Adlib port on the Audigy, then yes, it should work.
The patch for MT-32 merely re-arranges the default instruments so that it corresponds with the MT-32 instrument set.
Once you try to play games that writes custom patches (sysex commands) to the MT-32, then you will notice that the instruments sounds off.

Your only other alternative (apart from having a real MT-32 or compatible Roland module) is MUNT.

Reply 5 of 6, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Where did you get the Audigy 2zs DOS drivers ?

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … 383&menustate=0

They are just the Audigy 1 drivers with a patch included - Aidugy12.exe, which needs to be run and sbeinit.
Main benefit is the 2ZS has a better SNR than the Audigy 1.