VOGONS

Reply 180 of 340, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seeing interest definitely makes me happy ~

Unfortunately I have no good news still, my chinese friend is still pretty much inaccessible and the fake YMF721/704 issue isn't solved. Everything depends on how that problem is solved :
1) I get a refund - I'll adapt T-05YBSC to use STM32 based design I started to work on.
2) I get real parts - I'll finally order PCBs of T-05YBSC and get stuff going as I hoped months ago. I'll need a loan from friends to get started since my wallet cannot handle a production anymore.
3) No refund, no real parts - Worst case scenario. Accept the loss and carry on with option 1.
4) No refund, I get datasheet of whatever original part is and that part turns out a similar function sound chip - Less bad situation, option 1 happens using these parts, as good or bad they may be.

In the mean time I actually completed the STM32 development board :
STynhtISA.png
This card will be test bed for :
* Digital effect processing
* Softsynth business
* Intelligent MPU-401 emulation
* Sound Blaster 1/2/pro emulation and possibly WSS too

It also has MIDI section of Yamaha SW20PC because I always wanted it outside the original card that won't barf on faster hardware. No effects of the original card however. (Any possible sales of this card will have a *blank* sample ROM, you will have to fill it yourself with suitable content).
Still a problem of money, but luckily I only have to use parts in my stash, nothing new actually needs to be bought outside the PCBs which are small and two sided for minimal costs. And it will take weeks of development time to actually get something useful out the card but it will pave a road for the ultimate DOS stuff card that I'll make in future.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 181 of 340, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ very interesting and ambitious stuff , can't wait to see what the future brings
have you abandoned that video card project you mention before that outputs 15k ?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 182 of 340, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It isn't abandoned but it cannot be worked on without raising money for it via the other stuff plus it has a whole video BIOS to create and I don't look forward to that at all. http://www.tmeeco.eu/TKAVIVC/T-01VIVC-A.png
Money is pretty much the main problem, I'll likely have to get a day job in coming months and that will bury all the projects as long as I'm doing that job so I would want to avoid that as long as I can.

Reply 184 of 340, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I made all of it myself over the years, I have been using the program for over 5 years now I think. Lack of a component library is probably the main problem this software has. I have been meaning to release mine to the general public but it needs to be made consistent first and I recently went through another design/standard change and everything is in flux again 🤣

Reply 186 of 340, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No news about the fake parts but the side project PCBs have arrived :
STynthISA0.JPG
STynthISA1.JPG
I'll build the first card after renovations and move are completed, so no earlier than next month. Photos of the renovation (more get added every once in a while) for the curious : http://www.tmeeco.eu/BitShit/Renovation/
After hardware is built I need to begin software development which will take a while, month minimally...

Reply 189 of 340, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I discovered that the ExpertColor MED3700 is not recognized by SETYMF, although using the /FORCEPNP command line seems to recognize things just fine.

In my infinite wisdom, I accidentally overwrote the existing PNP EEPROM without backing up the existing one. I would love to have sent this in. Whoops :[

It looks like PNP IDs for this card would ordinarily have YMH0800 and this isn’t the string that’s being looked for.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 190 of 340, by FrostyTheSnowman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Kickass card looks awesome - I would also like to be on the waiting list. 😁

On an unrelated note, I also own a RUBY-9719VG2AR motherboard and I *LOVE* your RUBYISA utility - thanks to your work the utility and motherboard are the cornerstone of my multi-era retro rig. 😁

I'm too new to this forum to be able to use the private messaging feature, but I would like to send you some money for your excellent work on RUBYISA - do you have a PayPal address by chance?

My DOS/Win98 Hardware Compatible Retro Rigs (486/POD/K6-3/PPRO/P2OD/P3/P3-S/P4/Xeon)

Reply 191 of 340, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Allo ! And thänk you ~

There actually is a PayPal donation link on the sound card page : http://www.tmeeco.eu/TKAYBSC/

As far as other stuff goes, fake YMF721 seems not to get a positive resolve so I'm stuck with substantial amount of lost money and it also seems all other sources I could find also sell only fake chips. So the only solution is making my own MIDI synth as seen few posts back. I hope to put together one card in coming days and begin development as I am almost having a workspace now in the new place :
Workspace.jpg
I still have to build a second desk for which I have the materials but not yet things to put them together into one piece...
Once I have a working solution the main card will go back into action but I'm not sure how long it will take unfortunately... I might even drop it altogether and instead begin work on the final FPGA based card instead that's gonna be the ultimate thing hahaha. But we'll see how things turn out ~

Reply 192 of 340, by FrostyTheSnowman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote:

Allo ! And thänk you ~

There actually is a PayPal donation link on the sound card page : http://www.tmeeco.eu/TKAYBSC/

Awesome, just sent some money your way. 😀

Thanks again for your work on RUBYISA!

My DOS/Win98 Hardware Compatible Retro Rigs (486/POD/K6-3/PPRO/P2OD/P3/P3-S/P4/Xeon)

Reply 193 of 340, by mattrock1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Tiido!

Your project is very exciting and I hope to see your sound card project come to fruition. I was following someone from Russia who went by the handle zxc64 and was working on a "new and improved" AWE64 Gold card, complete with Wavetable header and an enhanced DSP. Unfortunately, he pulled all his project work and website off the net, never to be seen again.

I currently have an AWE64 Gold card in my Pentium III rig, but there are a few annoying shortcomings with the card that your project would resolve. Certainly keep us posted on progress!

Retro PC: Intel Pentium III @ 1 GHz, Intel SE440BX-2, 32 GB IDE DOM, 384 MB SDRAM, DVD-ROM, 1.44 MB floppy, Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600 AGP, Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold, Aureal Vortex 2
I only rely on 86box these days. My Pentium 3 PC died. 🙁

Reply 194 of 340, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's a shame. This card won't be able to give all of the functionality of that one, no AWE and SB16 compatibility or digital outptu for example.

I will soon have couple of the ARM cards built and can begin software development of the synth. Once that has got somewhere I can finish off the Yamaha based card using the ARM synth as replacement for YMF704/721.

FrostyTheSnowman wrote:

Awesome, just sent some money your way. 😀
Thanks again for your work on RUBYISA!

Thänk you, very much appreciated and you're very welcome ~

Reply 195 of 340, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If im not wrong someone was promising some review way ago..

BTW even i got some Socket 7 machine meanwhile, so im ready to buy some of these.. if reviews would be good.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 196 of 340, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Saxxon here did one not so long ago : https://ilovepa.ws/2019/01/19/t-04ybsc-x/
Other people who have got the card have been quiet.

New card will only have onemajor difference which is replacement of YMF704/721 with a custom ARM based synth, minor improvements will include adjustment of PC speaker filtering and some mechanical changes such as RCA based line out. We'll see how things turn out once I'll be making progress with the ARM card, one design goal there is getting intelligent mode MPU401 which I should be able to incorporate into the new card aswell.

Reply 197 of 340, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I read the review, for me there are 2 simple messages:
1. In Dos it works as promised.
2. Its not working well for Windows 98 - that part of review is quite short. I would like to avoid switching outputs and use multiple soundcards if it possible.

BTW what about XP, i now that Yamaha 724/744/754 has XP driver, im not sure about ISA Yamahas, will it work or for XP you need other card?

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 198 of 340, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I personally have never had issues in 95, 98SE and ME with the YMF71x cards, one reason I have been using then in most of my machines.

XP has WDM driver built in but you cannot use full functionality of this card due to inability to run the DOS setup utility which controls things other than YMF71x on the card, NTVDM won't pass hardware accesses to actual hardware. The defaults may be satisfactory though.

Reply 199 of 340, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

STynthISA2.JPG
Ball is rolling a little with the Yet Another Sound Card / Yamaha+ARM Sound Card ~
I'll have the hardware built shortly, software is gonna take a while though...