VOGONS

First post, by Jankelliitis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, i recently started to gather some part for retro gaming pc.
And i wanted to buy sound card. Before I'll do that, I wanted to ask.

Which is the best version of sound blaster live 5.1 that will work with my motherboard
And will not give me a problems to install it.
And if it's not hard, post a version and drivers link that will work with this card.
My plan is to build late 90s/Early 2000s gaming pc with windows 98SE

My motherboard - Compaq DeskPro 187498-001 Motherboard (http://web.alancomputech.com/products/187498-001.jpg)
Video Card - Nvidia Geforce FX5500 (https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images2/1/ … f1bb4d35881.jpg)

Thank you! 😊

Reply 3 of 16, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pick Audigy/Audigy 2/Audigy 2 ZS. Live cards are obsolete in every way.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2018-10-26, 12:14. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 16, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is exactly the same as what I think. The best SB Live is an Audigy2 ZS 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 5 of 16, by Jankelliitis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Thank you!
And is there any specific Audigy 2 version that is better than others.
And how about drivers? Is it hard to find them?

Reply 6 of 16, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Audigy 2 and Audigy 2 ZS are both ok I guess. I prefer ZS (for no apparent reason). Drivers are available in vogons driver library IIRC. If not, I have the original CDs from my ZS, just tell me if you need them.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 7 of 16, by hasnopants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I will also just say if you decide to go with a Live! 5.1 you can find the drivers on the Vogons driver library.

http://vogonsdrivers.com/

The VXD driver is preferable for performance and stability, but the WDM drivers allow for Soundfont changes in DOS.

Current Systems:
DIP40|8088|640K|HERCULESGB102|PCSPKR
DIP40|V20|640K|VGA|ADLIB/TNDY/COVOX
S7|P233MMX|128M|S3ViRGEDX/DM3D|SB16
S370|P600MMX|256M|SIS630/DM3DIIX2|SBLIVE!5.1
S775|P43.4|2G|6800GS|SBAUDIGY

Reply 8 of 16, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Will you guys please QUIT picking on my lame hardware choices? I would've used onboard sound for my 9x system instead of an SB Live!, but the shitty SoundMax codec on my system lacks DirectSound and its 9x driver is unstable as hell, I'd rather use an SB Live! (or even an Esoniq AudioPCI) than that monstrosity.

It's comments like this that make me wish I had joined VCF instead of this stupid forum.

Reply 9 of 16, by Jankelliitis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
KCompRoom2000 wrote:
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Will you guys please QUIT picking on my lame hardware choices? I would've used onboard sound for my 9x system instead of an SB Live!, but the shitty SoundMax codec on my system lacks DirectSound and its 9x driver is unstable as hell, I'd rather use an SB Live! (or even an Esoniq AudioPCI) than that monstrosity.

It's comments like this that make me wish I had joined VCF instead of this stupid forum.

I ordered Sound Blaster Live 5.1 SB0100 in the end.
Don't know why, i just like that it came from 90s.

Reply 10 of 16, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

This may be a problem with particular card, but my Audigy makes three THUMP noises in the speakers the moment I turn on the PC, and even a bigger THUMP! when I turn it off (perhaps those same three noises just merged together). SB Live does not do that in the same PC.

And Live is physically smaller in my already cramped chassis, so that's one thing where it's better than Audigy.

Reply 11 of 16, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do a google search on drivers for 5.1 from Phil’s computer lab.
He has DOS drivers.
As for Windows drivers go to creative labs website and look up old discontinued sound cards in support.
DELL also has drivers for the DELL version of this card SB-200
SB-100 is the Creative version.

Reply 12 of 16, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a couple of CDs for two different Live! 5.1 cards myself and I'm willing to archive them as an ISO format for the two different sound cards.

The Live! 5.1 Platinum driver set has both MS-DOS (requires HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE to be loaded) and Windows drivers, as well as extras, such as the IR Drive (remote control program), dialing numbers (modem needed), SoundFont editing program, and so on, and the other Live! 5.1 card is just the drivers only. If needed, I can archive that as well.

I'll provide the sound blaster revisions on here and put them in appropriate folders for those specific sound cards.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 13 of 16, by jxalex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

CT4830 (Soundblaster Live, known as SOundblaster 1024).
This one has also in its install the DOS drivers (SB16 emulation, but without MIDI) and win98se drivers.

Audigy LS and Soundblaster 24bit, have not win98se and DOS drivers. So, the same thing with
other those CA0106 chip based soundblasters! ?

through various sources some weird cards have come around me : SB0060, SB0100, SB0200.
Besides some layout difference and couple connectors different position there is minor difference compared to
CT4830

[edit] AFAIK the only one which can use Soundblaster Audigy under DOS is the last MPXPLAY version.
1.62 version (without any drivers).

Current project: DOS ISA soundcard with 24bit/96Khz digital I/O, SB16 compatible switchable.
newly made SB-clone ...with 24bit and AES/EBU... join in development!

Reply 14 of 16, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Audigy2 has a same DSP like Audigy except P16V registers which are necessary to play DVD Audio honest 96 kHz. And 6.1/7.1 support. All these options are empty for Windows 98, you never use them. Therefore best choice for 98 is SB0160 model with gameport and without firewire.

Reply 15 of 16, by grommit2007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

I have a couple of CDs for two different Live! 5.1 cards myself and I'm willing to archive them as an ISO format for the two different sound cards.

The Live! 5.1 Platinum driver set has both MS-DOS (requires HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE to be loaded) and Windows drivers, as well as extras, such as the IR Drive (remote control program), dialing numbers (modem needed), SoundFont editing program, and so on, and the other Live! 5.1 card is just the drivers only. If needed, I can archive that as well.

I'll provide the sound blaster revisions on here and put them in appropriate folders for those specific sound cards.

Were you able to archive and upload the aforementioned driver discs?

Reply 16 of 16, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not yet. Haven't had the time so far due to stress and working late 5 days a week.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser