VOGONS

2 sound cards in same pc.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use YMF754 on Intel 850 chipset with modified DSDMA for ICH2, not DDMA, DMA works through SB-Link. And I got a same DOOM crashes. So don't think that's some unique problem and don't try so hard. DOOM doesn't like YMF PCI at all. Try other games.

Reply 21 of 30, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, I happen to have a couple different MVP3 based boards here. One is a Soyo SY-5EHM with the ETEQ chipset. Pretty sure it is just the AT counterpart to the board the OP has. Hoping it works. Just about to fire it up now.

We shall see how it goes.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22 of 30, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sooooo.... I am not getting anywhere with this SOYO board. It looks like either the Via MVP3 (586A/B) southbridge doesn't support D-DMA, the BIOS is bugged or the ETEQ copy of the VIA chipset isn't a 1:1 copy.

So I guess DSDMA is probably the only way to get the Yamaha YMF 7xx cards working in DOS on these SOYO boards and maybe all boards with the 586A/B southbridge.

I will try to test my EPOX board soon. It has the 596B southbridge so maybe it will behave differently.

If anybody else has a real VIA MVP3 based board with the 586A/B southbridge and a Yamaha YMF 7x4 based card that could test out the modified setupds that I posted in this thread that would be great.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 23 of 30, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I just looked up the datasheet for the VIA VT82C586B southbridge. It does support D-DMA. So there either must be something wrong with the SOYO implementation, the ETEQ clone is not really a full clone, or the BIOS is bugged.

Filename
Via_vt82c586b_datasheet.pdf
File size
389.79 KiB
Downloads
46 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Unless the ETEQ is a clone of the VIA VT82C586A southbridge in which case the datasheet doesn't mention D-DMA.

Filename
VIA_VT892C586A_datasheet.pdf
File size
236.43 KiB
Downloads
42 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 24 of 30, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think they cloned the chipset. They probably bought them from via and just relabeled them. It is the via software that comes with the motherboard, so I doubt they could have sold the motherboards with via software if they didn't buy the chips from them too.
Any software also recognizes them as via chipsets, so there must some kind of VIA id inside the chipset that those software can read.

Reply 25 of 30, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah.. I am not sure what is up... both the driver and SIV say it is 568B so it should work with D-DMA.

I'll have to look into it some more later. I was up till past 2am last night trying to figure out why it wouldn't detect D-DMA.

It could just be a BIOS issue.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 26 of 30, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

Yeah.. I am not sure what is up... both the driver and SIV say it is 568B so it should work with D-DMA.

I'll have to look into it some more later. I was up till past 2am last night trying to figure out why it wouldn't detect D-DMA.

It could just be a BIOS issue.

If I were to get D-DMA working, would there be still many dos games that wouldn't work with a yamaha pci card like this?

Reply 27 of 30, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With D-DMA, you get really good DOS game compatibility. I'm sure there are still a few that would have issues.

PC-PCI/SB-Link is even better than D-DMA, but that requires the card and motherboard to both have the header present.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 28 of 30, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Exactly same thing happens with my VT82C686A motherboard as with the eteq motherboard with the modified setupds, all options can be changed but it can't find DMA at channel 1 when trying to test sound.
It does not matter if I set dma and irq as pnp or legacy isa in bios either. Any idea why they are not working?

Reply 29 of 30, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:

Exactly same thing happens with my VT82C686A motherboard as with the eteq motherboard with the modified setupds, all options can be changed but it can't find DMA at channel 1 when trying to test sound.
It does not matter if I set dma and irq as pnp or legacy isa in bios either. Any idea why they are not working?

Hmmm.. can you try DMA 0 ? That is what I had to use on my TYAN S1854 which has the VT82C686B southbridge. What is the brand/model of that motherboard?

Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Ok, so finally got around to testing on my Tyan S1854. […]
Show full quote

Ok, so finally got around to testing on my Tyan S1854.

I am using the modified for VIA chipsets SETUPDS.

Here is how to make it work.

1. Run "SETUPDS /s" from DOS. This will initialize the card so you can actually change stuff in the configuration.
2. Run "SETUPDS" from DOS. This will bring up the configuration/test part of the program.
3. Change the DMA mode from PC-PCI to D-DMA.
4. You can try testing the sound now. All modes should show up. When testing Sound Blaster 8-bit, it will most likely say it can't find DMA at 1. Change it to 0 and try again. It should work.
5. Save and exit. This will not update the SET BLASTER setting in Autoexec.bat. You will need to change "D1" to "D0" as well as any other settings you changed such as the I/O and IRQ.

I have had to do nothing else to make it work at least in the test portion of SETUPDS.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 30 of 30, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Motherboard is Asus CUV4X
DMA 0 works in setupds and it passes 8 bit sound blaster sound test.
But if I try doom with the same settings 220H Irq 7 and DMA 0, it crashes