VOGONS

First post, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone,

I found a Compaq Presario with an ESS Allegro sound device in it, and I managed to make it all work except teh audio mixer.

I cannot find an ESS Allegro specific mixer for it, and the ones I used (SB Pro mixer, bccvol, Crystal's cwbmix) don't seem to work. Every time after I set the levels, games ignore them and go to max volume or whatever.

Is there one I should be using that will work or what am I doing wrong? Or is it just that game s will ignore these settings? Seems like some games respect them, others don't.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Reply 1 of 5, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

kikendo, try one of the attached mixers. They are from older driver packages for ISA ESS cards, but they work fine with some later PCI ESS chips.

Attachments

• Filename
    ESS_mixers.zip
    File size
    19.38 KiB
    Downloads
    124 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Celeron 800, 512MB, GeForce2 MX, ES1938S/DB S2, Windows ME/DOS 6.22

Reply 2 of 5, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks so much for that! I will give it a try.
I noticed I am running into some more issues with this, like the synth volume is always WAY TOO LOW compared to wave. I wonder if it's related to the mixer app I was using.

Reply 3 of 5, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Been a while but I tried these and they don’t work with my particular hardware.

I really need this because none of the mixers I tried work, I need to be able to enable and set the volume of the line in input!

Hopefully someone has the install disks for this card?

Reply 4 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bringing this back from the dead.

Anybody know of a DOS mixer for the Allegro that works?

I have an original XWave Driver CD that has the Allegro driver install and it doesn't have a DOS mixer.

Maybe the Diamond Sonic Impact S100 included one? Maybe some other card?

Edit:
I've looked through all the different driver versions and not even the earliest ones have a DOS mixer or volume control. Hrmmmm.

Edit 2:
I found the actual datasheet for the Allegro. Guess I might need to write a mixer myself. Looks like it shouldn't be too difficult.
Another interesting thing is that the Allegro has the built-in ability to have a hardware implementation for a volume control using momentary switches.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 5, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-12-29, 01:58:
Bringing this back from the dead. […]
Show full quote

Bringing this back from the dead.

Anybody know of a DOS mixer for the Allegro that works?

I have an original XWave Driver CD that has the Allegro driver install and it doesn't have a DOS mixer.

Maybe the Diamond Sonic Impact S100 included one? Maybe some other card?

Edit:
I've looked through all the different driver versions and not even the earliest ones have a DOS mixer or volume control. Hrmmmm.

Edit 2:
I found the actual datasheet for the Allegro. Guess I might need to write a mixer myself. Looks like it shouldn't be too difficult.
Another interesting thing is that the Allegro has the built-in ability to have a hardware implementation for a volume control using momentary switches.

Any Sound Blaster PRO-compatible mixer will work. Here is a free one with source code:

https://www.bttr-software.de/products/sbmix/

The issue that I have run into is that these mixers don't work for FM, at least not on my Maestro-2E. A workaround is to use a MAESTRO.COM from version 2.11, which has a louder default volume.

See here for more information on how to get these cards setup:

Guide for configuring ESS PCI Audio cards for DOS (Solo, Maestro, Allegro, etc.)